British Speedway Forum
Star Lady

What Do You Expect On Thursday

Right from the start I want to see the riders display some pride in riding for their country. IF the national anthem is played (and yes it is a dirge), at the very least I expect to see all 5 + team manager goldfishing (altho they should at least know the words to the first verse :unsure: . To stand there like bollards implies to the opposition (and everyone else) they have no pride.

Then I expect to see team spirit, whether it's true team spirit or false, matters not. I do not want to see 5 individual riders sitting on their own, heads down. I want to see them talking, patting backs, joking, kicking a*se, anything that implies they are a united unit.

I want to see team talks, huddles of the riders and manager, even if they are actually saying "we look like plonkers doing this", the oppostion will think they are serious.

I want to see Wuffinden and Kennett get all the support they need and deserve. If the don't score, so what, they hopefully will learn from the atmosphere and come back next time better prepared.

I want to see each rider come in from their race, communicating track conditions and idiosyncracies to their team mates not slinking back to his own pit area and sulking.

I want to see the manager in amongst the riders, coaxing, asking questions, giving instructions etc.

I want to see mechanics getting on with their jobs and allowing the riders to focus on the on track action so they can react to ever changing track conditions and hopefully cheering on their team mates.

I would like to see Team GB progress, I have serious doubts that they will, if however they show most of the above it will be a vast improvement on last night and maybe just maybe a small step along the way to becoming a force in World speedway again. Part of being a decent speedway rider is in the mind, maybe by acting like a rider that beleives he can make an impact on the meeting some of Team GB might just become one.

I've made no comments on how to actually ride the bikes, because quite simply if they can't do that for themselves they shouldn't be there, and I wouldn't have a clue and freely admit it.

Edited by Star Lady

Hopefully, after that dreadful display last night the Deadwood stage will leave town.

Nicholls, Harris, Richardson, Kennet and Woffy have to be the way to go now.

After last night I wouldn't even have Allen or Stead in the squad, I'd rather see Ben Barker in.

At least we live to fight another day, and quite often a good performance can follow a very bad one.

Hopefully, after that dreadful display last night the Deadwood stage will leave town.

Nicholls, Harris, Richardson, Kennet and Woffy have to be the way to go now.

After last night I wouldn't even have Allen or Stead in the squad, I'd rather see Ben Barker in.

At least we live to fight another day, and quite often a good performance can follow a very bad one.

Why do we have to go with Nicholls and Richardson - they were crap too.

Nicholls scored 4 from 5 rides with the option of getting double from his joker - Olly Allen scored more so why should Allen be dropped in favour of Nicholls.

We don't stand a chance of winning this world cup so let's start planning for the future.

Blood the youngsters now and give some of Barker, Wright, Woffindon, Kennet and Bridger a go. We might get walloped but at least I believe their will be some passion and pride from team GB.

I also think you are seriously kidding yourself that a good performance will follow that awful, embarassing one of last night

It's time for the (so called) top 3 to realise they aren't invincible and can quite easily be replaced.

Edited by SuperSwindon

Id rather we come last and throw in the youngsters and see a bit of Bulldog spirit.

With the deadwood its an insult to come 3rd.

i hope they get through to the final but thats only what i hope,i expect them to come last and not get to the final and thats not a dig at the lads coming in to the squad its the three team leaders if you like because they just cant perform when the pressures on

oh hang on this is sounding like another national team we got bottling it when the pressures on oh yeah thats right the england football team lol

WOW all that Star Lady? My list is much shorter. I'd like to see Brits learn to gate and ride slick tracks. That's it. Couldn't give a wotsit whether the sing the anthem, group huddle for the cameras, listen to Jim Lynch, joke or sulk.

Right from the start I want to see the riders display some pride in riding for their country. IF the national anthem is played (and yes it is a dirge), at the very least I expect to see all 5 + team manager goldfishing (altho they should at least know the words to the first verse :unsure: . To stand there like bollards implies to the opposition (and everyone else) they have no pride.

cant agree with the above star lady,i wouldn't sing the national anthem if my life depended upon it.

Just throw in the youngsters. Give them a taste of what's ahead and let's see if youthful exuberance can overcome nerves and expectation. Team GB have absolutely nothing to lose now.

Britain may just do it as its in vojens, however if they ride and gate like last night i can see poland and swedes winning this.

Britain may just do it as its in vojens, however if they ride and gate like last night i can see poland and swedes winning this.

the best solution would be to finish third behind the above two,and consolidate our current standing as worlds 5th best team.

this way we avoid the ignominy of the guaranteed last place in the final.

also,lets kick out the scots,welsh and northern irish,they are clearly holding us back

cant agree with the above star lady,i wouldn't sing the national anthem if my life depended upon it.

I didn't ask them to sing, I said goldfish. Even they should be capable of opening and closing their mouths in time to the music. After all David Beckham can :wink:

Team GB have absolutely nothing to lose now.

Of course there's something to lose. A place in the final is at stake. :rolleyes:

IF the national anthem is played (and yes it is a dirge), at the very least I expect to see all 5 + team manager goldfishing (altho they should at least know the words to the first verse :unsure: . To stand there like bollards implies to the opposition (and everyone else) they have no pride.

I don't think they have to sing (or "goldfish") - we won the rugby world cup without every player singing the national anthem, why should our boys feel they have to? They may be trying to focus on the meeting, and I'm sure their head is buzzing with a lot more than "oh, I have to sing now..."

Then I expect to see team spirit, whether it's true team spirit or false, matters not. I do not want to see 5 individual riders sitting on their own, heads down. I want to see them talking, patting backs, joking, kicking a*se, anything that implies they are a united unit.

I want to see team talks, huddles of the riders and manager, even if they are actually saying "we look like plonkers doing this", the oppostion will think they are serious.

Yes, I agree. There were time when you saw Rico going out with Scotty to his bike and giving him a pat on the back, and Bomber was often watching the races beside Lynch - who knows what they were talking about? But, to be fair, I was watching on Sky and the cameras weren't constantly on Team GB, I don't know what was going on in the pits. But, we were shown Scott - the captain! - sitting in his chair on his own far too often for my liking.

Why do we have to go with Nicholls and Richardson - they were crap too.

Nicholls scored 4 from 5 rides with the option of getting double from his joker - Olly Allen scored more so why should Allen be dropped in favour of Nicholls.

Very well said.

Why are people putting such a downer on Olly? He did a far better job than "captain" Nicholls. He looked good on the track, his face was full of emotion, he actually raced rather than gave up... he tried his best. What more can you ask?

WOW all that Star Lady? My list is much shorter. I'd like to see Brits learn to gate and ride slick tracks. That's it. Couldn't give a wotsit whether the sing the anthem, group huddle for the cameras, listen to Jim Lynch, joke or sulk.

Yeh, part of me agrees with that.

But, they are a team - I think they need to show a little more team spirit. And that should've started with the team manager showing a bit more confidence in them and NOT telling Olly and Stead they wouldn't be riding in Denmark whatever happens.

Seriously, if either of them had scored maximums, how could he have justified not taking them? It's not an issue, but what if...?

Guest chris26

tbh, I don't really give a stuff what happens tbh. In some ways, I wish that we had been beaten by the Czech Republic last night (sad as it may sound). I actually HOPE that GB have to go through a qualifier against the likes of Slovenia, USA etc to try and qualify for the 09 world cup as our so called "best" riders need a serious dose of a reality check.

Seriously, if either of them had scored maximums, how could he have justified not taking them? It's not an issue, but what if...?

simon stead? world cup? maximum? biggest laugh I have had in ages :lol: :lol: :D

Edited by chris26