British Speedway Forum
Star Lady

What Do You Expect On Thursday

From what I have seen in the leagues here, the British have fallen way behind with developing their young talent.

Our youngsters will never be on a par with Sweden, Denmark and Poland because we just don't have the facilities they do, our speedway clubs are now council owned, our youngsters can't practice when they like, seemingly for nothing, what do we expect??? We are on the back foot all the time.

What we need is for junior grasstrack to take off again big time cos it relatively cheap and gives the kids a good grounding for speedway imo.

Why's that BA??? as it's been pointed out on numerous occassions the last time England/TEAM GB won anything was a fair few years ago and when our last World Champion was, maybe Tai considers himself the future of British Speedway rather than another Aussie World Team Cup winner or following in Jason Crumps tyre tracks as World Champion. He's not exactly made the decision blindfolded has he, he knows he has his work cut out.

I know, that's why the smiley face was after the comment! I've said enough times on hre that in my opinion he's a true Brit, and he's been quoted as saying that he's British - I was just be faec..fec..sarky. :)

Team GB were lets face it crap! and to say that the team has put some pride back is nonsence as well.

Harris and young Tai Woffenden are the only two who can hold their heads up with pride, they got stuck in and were consistant.

Nichols can and should of done much better, maybe it's also time for him to step aside and have Harris as Team GB skipper who isn't afraid to get stuck in, something missing from him in the interviews, lack of fire in the belly.

Richardson is a disgrace and on the downward slope at this level, he should be replaced by young up and coming riders now to give them the experience Tai was given tonight, they will only get better from the experience.

Kennet is lacking something, probably in his mental approach and until he can prove himself individually should be replaced or used if injuries hamper selection.

Disgusted :mad:

That is all well and good, yet Ljung when he rode over here did not exactly set the BEL on fire! Jonas Davidsson is up and down like a barmaids knickers (I am sure Shaz will appreicate that one) yet when it comes to riding for their Country they can perform better, I know that Poland provide engines to their riders for these occasions (or they did last year) do Sweden have a similar input ?

I rather think it's the other way around. British riders abroad, without the aid of STA* aren't really competitive. The prospect of say Edward Kennett against the likes of Walasek or Nermark - outside britain - is a no contest for Polish or Swedish fans.

*Strange Track Advantage

maybe Tai considers himself the future of British Speedway rather than another Aussie World Team Cup winner or following in Jason Crumps tyre tracks as World Champion. He's not exactly made the decision blindfolded has he, he knows he has his work cut out.

Well if he makes it to be an english world champion he'll receive more plaudits from the british press than Jason did the aussie press!

That is all well and good, yet Ljung when he rode over here did not exactly set the BEL on fire! Jonas Davidsson is up and down like a barmaids knickers (I am sure Shaz will appreicate that one) yet when it comes to riding for their Country they can perform better, I know that Poland provide engines to their riders for these occasions (or they did last year) do Sweden have a similar input ?

Does this tell us that he gives 100% effort when racing for his country but perhaps only 75% to racing in GB?

Team GB were lets face it crap! and to say that the team has put some pride back is nonsence as well.

Didn't expect much more really did you? It was a tall order for Tai and Eddie to come in there and race against vastly more experienced riders and come out on top every time which is what we needed to win the bleeding thing as well as the others doing it too. Richardson seemed low in confidence and speed, Scott failed to pull anything out of the bag, Harris certainly had his moments and rode a lot better but all in all just not enough. Never mind, there's always next year, we have a year to plan our 09 assault!

Noticed the crowd was poor, what a shame :D

Edited by Trees

All that matters to British fans is how their home team is riding.

Anything out of the country doesn't exist.

If theres a new rising star he's to be knocked on the forum if he signs for another team.

Im allright Jack f--- you. :angry:

The football supporter mentality.

surely you cant tar us all with the same brush :shock:

But Ljung and Davidsson have always performed well for their Swedish clubs. Riders shouldn't be judged on performances in a league that seems to be regarded as second rate by riders.

I couldn't give a flying fig about Ljung as he is not racing over here now, but I am sure Lakeside would be well impressed to think that that Jonas was not performing to his ability because he regards the BEL as second rate! maybe they should reconsider his contract offer! damn sure I would! but then I guess you are not actually his spokesman are you? :rolleyes:

Edited by SuzieQ

I was just be faec..fec..sarky. :)

:lol: I knew what ya meant :lol:

I couldn't give a flying fig about Ljung as he is not racing over here now, but I am sure Lakeside would be well impressed to think that that Jonas was not performing to his ability because he regarding the BEL as second rate! maybe they should reconsider his contract offer! damn sure I would! but then I guess you are not actually his spokesman are you? :rolleyes:

Why? Lakeside drop him and some other promotion would pick him up in desperation. How many clubs has Jonas Davidsson been released by? And he always finds someone willing to pick him up. Actually, he seems to be doing well for Lakeside. Perhaps other British promotions should wonder why that is.

Why? Lakeside drop him and some other promotion would pick him up in desperation. How many clubs has Jonas Davidsson been released by? And he always finds someone willing to pick him up. Actually, he seems to be doing well for Lakeside. Perhaps other British promotions should wonder why that is.

Coz he has another Swede to play with other than his brother? :unsure:

Oh Oh! No - he likes the shopping centre nearby!

Edited by SuzieQ

Our youngsters will never be on a par with Sweden, Denmark and Poland because we just don't have the facilities they do, our speedway clubs are now council owned, our youngsters can't practice when they like, seemingly for nothing, what do we expect??? We are on the back foot all the time.

What we need is for junior grasstrack to take off again big time cos it relatively cheap and gives the kids a good grounding for speedway imo.

Before I moved to Sweden I was heavily involved in junior grasstrack, but over the years the attitude of the parents changed dramatically. It changed from being a pleasure to absolute chore to help. You can read on other threads what type of kids came through spoilt brats, mostly. Now I've lost touch sadly but a few good lads still ride two were in the EM this year.

The help to set up and run this aren't there anymore, every one wants instant success speedway traing schools seem to provide it without the effort of learning to race, all you do is ride in circles as fast as you can no competition no learning to race it shows in meetings like tonight, there's no fight.

hopefully tonight is the end of kennets international career, his time with rye has ruined what was potentially a great career.

end of the line for rico and nicholls.

tai and bomber are giving it their all, but are simply not good enough at this level.

Kennett hasnt improved league wise but he still looks way short of what he needs international wise.

Bomber had a break through last year and needs to consolidate that but you cant say Tai isnt good enough. The lad potentially could be the real deal in a coupla years!!!!!

Lee Richardsons internatiomal career is over

it should be.

I'd agree,Tai and Bomber look the only decent hopes for the future.

agree

am a Rico fan, embarrassingly, but tonight he was ridiculous.

agreed.

Very well done SWEDEN - we are in the final a great effort from the Swedes

the Swedes know how to take it up several levels on the world stage, Deserved winners!

Great ride by Danny Nermark to beat Gollob. :lol::lol:

superb indeed. Cant believe chose the PL tho when he was wanted back at Wolves. Think he would have done a superb job for us personally in the EL

So very proud of Woffy tonight. For his first WTC, he more than held his own. His heat win was a moment I will savour for a long time.

As a wolf owned rider - i can only echo your pride. :approve:

Harris and young Tai Woffenden are the only two who can hold their heads up with pride, they got stuck in and were consistant.

Nichols can and should of done much better, maybe it's also time for him to step aside and have Harris as Team GB skipper who isn't afraid to get stuck in, something missing from him in the interviews, lack of fire in the belly.

Richardson is a disgrace and on the downward slope at this level, he should be replaced by young up and coming riders now to give them the experience Tai was given tonight, they will only get better from the experience.

Kennet is lacking something, probably in his mental approach and until he can prove himself individually should be replaced or used if injuries hamper selection.

Disgusted :mad:

The general idea is to give the kids a chance not replace them after one meeting, what good does that do

surely you cant tar us all with the same brush :shock:

Look at the Peterborough thread. A British speedway track is dying and the vultures are deciding which riders can go where. :cry:

It's kind of depressing when the last British individual world champion (not longtrack) won almost 30 years ago, and the last time we were WTC champs was when Tatum was captain in the 80's!

Gary Havelock 1992 and Mark Loram 2000 were 16 and 8 years ago ;)

I can't add anything that other have not already posted.