British Speedway Forum
Engine man

Ron Mountford

I noticed on here that Ron passed away in 1993. I remember asking his old mate Rick France what had happened to Ron, and he would only say that "..it was a bad business..." Not sure what he meant by that....does anyone on here know?

Incidentally it was at one of the Golden Greats meetings (2001? ) when I last saw Rick.

I am interested in this myself-I recall Ron was one of the first riders to wear contact lenses-he got to the 1962 World Final I think-I recall he and Rick worked together. Did Ron leave any family-he was a tough customer as I recall-I think he rode only for the Bees. Thank you engine man for bringing Ron's name to this forum-another somewhat forgotten name from the past who should be remembered.

Ron Mountford was in Birmingham's team from 1950 until the promotion folded in 1957, then he moved over to Coventry.

Thanx starghost-forgot that-do you know when Ron was born??

I remember a rider who rode for Stoke in the 70's and 80's I think his name was Stuart Mountford who was I believe an Aussie were they related.

Don't think they were related spin king.

Coventry programme recently had a piece about Ron who was my favourite rider at Brandon in the late 60's, 70's. It said he had heart problems.

Don't think they were related spin king.

I am sure that I read somewhere that Stuart Mountford was the son of a former rider, assumed that the this must have been his father.

Spin king-the father of Stuart could have been Jack Mountford-but definitely not Ron I reckon.

Spin king-the father of Stuart could have been Jack Mountford-but definitely not Ron I reckon.

Agreed; Ron was English, Stu was Australian. I actually think this had been mentioned before on here, and it was dismiised then.

Steve

This is a good thread-BUT does anyone know anything about Ron e.g. when did he die, the circumstances etc etc. I got the same result when I asked about Jim Lightfoot once-come on you old Bees fans-Ron was a big name in his day and shouldn't be forgotten!Somebody's got to know something.

Ron died in March 1993.

The Speedway Star of the time reports long term heart problems.

Thanks for the info.

Ron was one of the most exciting riders of that era in the old National League and early British League days.

He used to keep a garage in the black country I believe, and that was where Rick France worked with him.

Jim Lightfoot was also mentioned here in this thread....I thought Jim might still be alive, does anyone know?

engine man-that is right that Ron had a garage and Rick worked there-how did Rick seem when you saw him that time. I think Jim is still alive but nobody seems to know much.Interestingly enough all 3 of these bees had one World Final app. -Ron as noted in 62, Jim in 63 and Rick in 67.