British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spin king

Grand Prix

Right start a topic to try and get an answer from Subedei, should nominating riders to enter the Grand Prix be stopped for all riders, should all riders that don't finish in the top eight of the Grand Prix be made to qualify

Yes. Although I still think the wildcard should be selected, especially in cases like Holder, who had all sorts of problems during qualifying.

Yes. Although I still think the wildcard should be selected, especially in cases like Holder, who had all sorts of problems during qualifying.

If this is the way to go then I would include the top eight, the Under 21 Champion and the Wild Card, the other six would come from from the qualifiers.

If this is the way to go then I would include the top eight, the Under 21 Champion and the Wild Card, the other six would come from from the qualifiers.

Ah, but which U21 champion? Danish, Swedish, Polish, British, Russian? All of them?

Ah, but which U21 champion? Danish, Swedish, Polish, British, Russian? All of them?

World.

World.

What would have happened a few years back if Tomas Suchanek had of won the toss?

Just because Sajfutdinov is good enough i'm not convinced all World U-21 Champions should be in.

What would have happened a few years back if Tomas Suchanek had of won the toss?

Just because Sajfutdinov is good enough i'm not convinced all World U-21 Champions should be in.

Thing is, you can say that about any of the qualifiers - someone only has to have a bad day and that's a big name out of the hat, possibly replaced by a rider who has virtually no chance of becoming World Champion.

I still think it should be done that way, though - it's the fairest method, and means that at least those who make it do actually want to be there.

Thing is, you can say that about any of the qualifiers - someone only has to have a bad day and that's a big name out of the hat, possibly replaced by a rider who has virtually no chance of becoming World Champion.

I still think it should be done that way, though - it's the fairest method, and means that at least those who make it do actually want to be there.

To be honest I am trying to provoke an answer from a certain Forum member, this is the 2nd time I have asked him to answer the question to this answer.

Ive posted this elsewhere previously, but as the question has been raised once again, I'd prefer to see the whole SGP qualifying system scrapped as it is, and replaced with a qualifier prior to each GP, so for example you'd have a qualifier this Friday at say Motala, with the top however many qualifying for Saturday's SGP at Malilla.

So if for example Chris Holder fancied his chances he could try his hand at Motala and if was good enough he could find himself in the SGP full time. It would create a much greater churn of SGP competitors and would save the public seeing the same old strugglers at the bottom of each SGP

Edited by ballinger

So if for example Chris Holder fancied his chances he could try his hand at Motala and if was good enough he could find himself in the SGP full time. It would create a much greater churn of SGP competitors and would save the public seeing the same old strugglers at the bottom of each SGP

Nice idea, but assuming the top eight from the previous GP qualify straight into the GP and eight available spots were made available through the Friday meeting, how many riders do you think would "fancy their chances" - and what would be the standard of the field?

Interesting thoughts. The pre-qualifying idea has been floated before but I think cost is a factor, possibly why the GP was reduced to 16 riders from its previous 24.

Also I think riders need to at least know they are in the series for a whole season so they can budget and plan accordingly.

I do find it strange that so few of the current GP riders opt to try and go through the qualifying process each season. I guess the argument is they are concentrating on qualifying by being in the top 8.

In the early days of the GP series the riders who didn't qualify in the top 8 were then seeded into the GP Challenge, maybe a return to a similar type of format would help ensure the very best are in the GP's.

Personally I detest the nomination process, I believe all 15 should be qualifying through whatever means. Unfortunately I can't see stakeholders giving up the level of control the nomination process gives them, so we are stuck with this aberration for the forseeable future.

Nice idea, but assuming the top eight from the previous GP qualify straight into the GP and eight available spots were made available through the Friday meeting, how many riders do you think would "fancy their chances" - and what would be the standard of the field?

Its a great idea :lol:

Qualifier to be contested by riders placed 9th-14th in previous GP (6), riders paying to enter (6), CCP nomination (1), plus (3) local wild cards. Top 7 to qualify to join 8 from previous SGP, plus 1 local wild card.

So Motala this Friday could be Harris, Iversen, Pedersen, Nicholls, Dryml, Lindgren plus say Gjedde, Bjerre, Richardson, Walasek, Pavlic, Sajfutdinov, local wild cards of Ljung, Davidsson, and Jonasson, plus a CCP nomination of Hampel for example.

I'd pay to watch that.

It shouldn't be as political as it is.

Top 8 in the final standings go straight through to next years series.

Riders 9-15 go to the GP Challenge Meeting. The top 4 from 2 Qualifying Semi-Finals go to the GP Challenge also.

That leaves 1 place to go which should go to the rider who finished fifth in the Semi Finals with the higher points total. If 2 riders finish fifth with equal points go on countback.

Nominations don't do anything for the credibility of the sport but then again nobody qualifies to race for an F1 or MotoGP team do they. They are hand picked.

It seems a "revolution" is being planned.Only the World Champ will qualify for the next year(2010) if all comes to fruition.

According to Mr Grodzki there are too many old heads in the GP's and the youngsters are finding it hard to break through.

A decision will be made at the FIM Conference in October

More here,but in German

Edited by iris123