British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KevH

Vic Ridgeon

I've been reading about Vic and wondered if anyone has any history on him?

Place/date of birth would be great, and any memories or tales of his riding days?

Vic was a Rye House discovery. His first official appearance was on 2 July 1950 when he rode for Ron Barrett's team in a challenge match against Alf Viccary's team. He scored zero from two rides.

But he was to become a stalwart of the Rye House team throughout the 50s. When Rye House entered the Southern Area League in 1954 he was apponted captain and was top scorer with an average of 8.94, leading Rye House to victory in the league. He was third highest scorer in the league and also came third in the Southern Area League Riders' Championship. During 1954 he was described as the Jack Young of the Southern Area League because of his laid back armchair style.

Captain again in 1955, he scored 9.54, but was eclipsed by the young Mike Broadbank as the team's top scorer, who averaged 9.73. Rye House again won the league under his captaincy.

With Broadbank moving off to Wembley, Vic was once again top scorer in 1956 with 10.27, top average in the league, leading his team to victory in the league once again. He headed the qualifiers for the Southern Area League Riders' Championship and was hot favourite to take the title. By this time he had signed up for Southampton in the National League and, although he was not due to ride for them until 1957, the Control Board announced he was ineligible for the SAL Riders' Championship as he belonged to a National League team. Eventually the decision was overturned, but machine problems in the final meant he only scored six points (two heat wins) and didn't finish in his other three races. He lowered the track record to 61.6 seconds during the year.

Over the winter of 1956/7, Vic travelled to South Africa where he became the only current Southern Area League rider ever to ride in a full Test match, when he rode for England in the seventh Test on 23 February 1957. He scored one point.

On his return to England he decided not to move to Southampton after all and stayed with Rye House. However, shortly after the season started he decided to retire. There was talk of him going in to car racing but, as far as I know, he never did. The Speedway Star of the time made some cryptic comment about the reasons for Vic Ridgeon retiring are too well known for us to go in to here. Many years later, after I'd got to know Vic quite well, I asked him why he had retired, but he said he couldn't remember!

He did, of course, make a come back and rode for Wolverhampton in the Provincial League, but I'll let others with more knowledge of his Midlands days take up the story...Although he did turn out several times for Rye House again in challenge matches and the like during Rye House's non-league days of the 1960s.

Edited by norbold

Vic was a member of the new Wolverhampton team when they joined the Provincial League in 1961 and in an injury strewn season, was the only rider who survived unscathed. He was second top scorer behind Graham Warren with 118 points. He figured again at Wolves in 1962 usually partnering Tommy Sweetman who with G Warren were the top two riders. Vic scored 119 points.

I seem to remember that he was released towards the end of 1962 and the following year was part of the attempt to re-establish Rayleigh which was a bit of a disaster both crowd and league wise, playing to small crowds and finishing bottom. Vic scored 86 points.

In 1964 Bill Bridgett and Mike Parker briefly promoted at new venue Sunderland and included Vic in the team. The promotion lasted a few short weeks and three league matches, then the riders were distributed to other Parker tracks. Wolves taking on Colin McKee, Gordon Guasco and Jim Airey. Vic scored 11 points for Sunderland. He briefly turned out for Glasgow totalling 8 points but then seems to have dropped out of the PL and made a few appearances for Rayleigh and Eastbourne in the Metropolitan League.

To my knowledge Vic did not ever turn out in the British League which started in 1965 but I stand to be corrected! I do remember that he had a few after meeting spins at Cradley but don't think that he joined the Heathens.

I first watched Speedway in 1961 at Monmore Green and Vic was a definite crowd favoutite in 61/62 seasons. Speedway in the early sixties at Wolverhampton regularly attracted crowds approaching 10,000 with all three sides of the stadium, that were open to the public, being packed out.

Great posts Norbold and Parkstone Pirate-brought some memories back for me too-is Vic still with us.On an unrelated topic had the opportunity to chat with Stan Bradbury at Paris, Ontario last weekend-Stan has an amazing memory-a real gent too-,he clearly recalls incidents of the 1950's when he was riding for Stoke-he talked a lot about Gil Blake-anyone recall him??

Many, may thanks to Norbold and Parkstone Pirate for their posts........truely fascinating stuff. :approve:

To my knowledge Vic did not ever turn out in the British League which started in 1965 but I stand to be corrected!

Vic did actually rode in four meetings during 1966 for Exeter, it was these meetings which alerted him to me.

Does anyone know his d.o.b. please?

is Vic still with us.

Yes.

Does anyone know his d.o.b. please?

Sorry, don'tknow that. I'll see if I can find out.

Me too. It saves me having to find out! Thank you. :approve:

So, he is 80 this year.

Vic is quite poorly at the moment, I spoke to his wife a couple of weeks or so ago.

I'm very sorry to hear that, TM. Mind you, he hasn't been well for some time now. Let's hope he is back fighting fit soon.

What part of UK does Vic live??

Canvey Island, Essex