British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Defunct Speedway Website

I agree 100% Iris--then it occurred to me on another subject-have there been any Jewish speedway riders(this from the guy who started the thread on gay speedway riders!!). I live in a Jewish area of Toronto and have many Jewish friends I was telling this one guy about speedway and he asked me that question-a reasonable question as there have been famous Jewish baseall players(Sandy Koufax and Hank Greenberg spring to mind) ditto soccer e.g. George Cohen of England.Can we get this away from personalities and intio this broader subject!! Any thoughts Norbold, starghost and other speedway historians..

Gil Goldfinch formerly of Wimbledon, and later for my Diamonds in about 61/62 was Jewish. Died, I believe, of blood poisoning and, as beliefs required, was buried within 24 hours. :approve:

My favourite rider and it is my photo of him that is on DantoDan's excellent Newcastle Speedway History website. :approve:

:blink::blink:

Edited by Tsunami

Gil Goldfinch formerly of Wimbledon, and later for my Diamonds in about 62/63 was Jewish. Died, I believe, of blood poisoning and, as beliefs required, was buried within 24 hours. :approve:

My favourite rider and it is my photo of him that is on DantoDan's excellent Newcastle Speedway History website. :approve:

:blink::blink:

Hi Tsunami,

I never knew that Gil was Jewish, I suppose there is a clue in his surname (No! I don't mean finch!).

Another fact that may have escaped many Newcastle fans was that Reg Fearman had a 50% stake in Newcastle when we reopened in 1961

I agree 100% Iris--then it occurred to me on another subject-have there been any Jewish speedway riders(this from the guy who started the thread on gay speedway riders!!). I live in a Jewish area of Toronto and have many Jewish friends I was telling this one guy about speedway and he asked me that question-a reasonable question as there have been famous Jewish baseall players(Sandy Koufax and Hank Greenberg spring to mind) ditto soccer e.g. George Cohen of England.Can we get this away from personalities and intio this broader subject!! Any thoughts Norbold, starghost and other speedway historians..

Sorry, BOBBATH, I've only just seen this...Having said that, I can't help anyway. I'm sure there must have been a number of Jewish riders but apart from guessing by name (Lionel Levy for example) I really don't know....But then I have a Jewish name and I'm not Jewish, so that doesn't really help!

Sorry, BOBBATH, I've only just seen this...Having said that, I can't help anyway. I'm sure there must have been a number of Jewish riders but apart from guessing by name (Lionel Levy for example) I really don't know....But then I have a Jewish name and I'm not Jewish, so that doesn't really help!

Yes and good ole Len Silver has the right name too. I think we should drop the Jewish names thread before we upset someone, too late! I have already done it.

The thread is about publicising the Reg Fearman pages on the website afterall

OK OK but can we start a thread on gay Jewish riders(some of whom may also have been-almost-as tall as Graham Miles)-greetings from snowy Toronto!!!

Looking back through this thread it would seem that one or two posts have been removed saying not nice things about "our Reg". Do I detect some double standards here, :shock: for if you read some of Reg's stories you will see his version of events concerning both Bill Dore and Mike Parker, neither coming out in a very good light. Now, neither of these are here to defend themselves where as Middlo and Reg are if they so wish. I never had any dealings with Bill Dore but I did with the others and for my part I must say I suffered no harm from any. However, one thing I did learn many years ago was that most long term speedway promoters have one thing in common and that is self survival. This put me on my guard to know that when the chips were down it would be "goodbye Mr Nice guy". It is a sad fact that the genuine good guys that tried promoting never lasted more than a season or two. So it is not suprising to find that some may be regarded as, to use a present day promoters own description, "A slippery customer", where others would regard them as being astute businessmen. My point is we will all have a different view of things and that is what these forums should be all about. So please Mr Dantodan don't follow the official speedway line of "No one is allowed to say bad things about us". We are all big boys on here and should be able to sort things out for ourselves. Keep up your good work, great site, and I might get round to sending you some stuff when I have learned how to drive this thing! :lol:

Hi Yesterdays Man,

I was not aware of any censoring on this thread. I do not subscribe to name calling myself and wish that others didn't either.

I suppose the thread has drawn better attention to the Reg Fearman pages because of the controversy.

The Reg Fearman pages now number 1-5 on the Defunct Speedway website. Page 5 is about Ronnie Moore.

Have a look and let me know your views on Reg's pages

The Reg Fearman pages now number 1-5 on the Defunct Speedway website. Page 5 is about Ronnie Moore.

Have a look and let me know your views on Reg's pages

In a word, Dan, absolutely superb. That's one word from each of my two remaining LGCs :wink:

I agree -Reg Fearman is doing a great job by posting this stuff for posterity-thanx Reg. BTW Ron Butler what does LGC stand for??

I agree -Reg Fearman is doing a great job by posting this stuff for posterity-thanx Reg. BTW Ron Butler what does LGC stand for??

'Little grey cells' after Agatha Christie's character Hercule Poirot who often used the phrase to describe his brain.

Being an old codger of seventy-six summers I use it as a form of self-deprecatory humour and sometimes refer to 'my two remaining little grey cells'. In moments of weariness and fatigue - or sheer laziness - I tend to use the abbreviation LGCs

Regards,

Ron.

I refuse to accept that you are an old codger any more than Reg is(he's about the same age)-76 is the new 56 Ron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I refuse to accept that you are an old codger any more than Reg is(he's about the same age)-76 is the new 56 Ron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that Bobbath. My age varies from day-to-day. 'Old codger' is more of mi self-deprecation. I actually tried sanity once but it was driving me mad so I gave it up! :lol:

I remember Reg well as a great rider who was always fiercely competitive but very fair.

Reg Fearman may previously have done a lot for speedway, but he certainly did not do anything for Poole Speedway. How well I remember the despair of the fans, when this great club was brought to its knees , by the inept management of this person. Maybe his memories are laudable, but his treatment of Poole Speedway , Neil Middleditch and many others, was to say the least disgraceful, and unforgiveable.

:wink:

That has evened the scores somewhat, hrhbig, rather like a last heat 5-1

Edited by star ghost