British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Gary O’hare

A strong field in the Open Class [scunthorpe Summer Championship] saw three former riders return to the sport and show they have lost none of their ability. Former Stoke rider Gary O’Hare, in his second meeting back, took his old-style upright bike into third place whilst former Buxton rider Neil Painter picked up eleven points before finishing seventh. The final returnee, Darren Smith, suffered mixed fortunes .....

The final round of the Summer Championship takes place on Saturday 11th October and riders are encouraged to book early to avoid disappointment.

http://www.scunthorpespeedway.com/news.php...amp;ucat=8&

Have to admit Gary is a new name to me (or at least one I can't recall) :shock:

I'd be grateful for some (as much as poss.) career details for this one-time Potter as I need to write some words on him for the Neil Collins meeting prog.

Have to admit Gary is a new name to me (or at least one I can't recall) :shock:

I'd be grateful for some (as much as poss.) career details for this one-time Potter as I need to write some words on him for the Neil Collins meeting prog.

Gary Patrick O'Hare

B 14.09.1963,Manchester

Rode for Stoke 1983-85

Edinburgh 1985

Ellesmere Port 1985

Newcastle 1986-7

Don't know any more.Sure someone like Frigbo has all the details

I seem to remember him riding for Long Eaton aswell it was probably around 88/89 as he rode at Shawfield

Amazingly I can add to this thread-when I go back to UK I try and take in a few meetings. In 1989-I visited Long Eaton(my last ever visit there) and saw them ride against Mildenhall on 17th May-Gary O'Hare top scored for L.E. with 13 pts from 5 rides 1-3-3-3-3.It was a 48-48 tie.It also showed that year to date he was third in the L.E. averages behind Keith White and Richard Hellsen. The following night I went to Ipswich (my only ever visit) and saw the Witches host L.E. In an Ipswich 59-37 win Gary didn't do as well got 6 pts from 5 rides. His riding made an impression on me and I remembered the name -so when this thread cropped up dug out my old progs -hope this helps.By the way it was an emotive last visit to Station Road -went around the town looking for old landmarks-ate at a Berni's Inn-are there any still left??- noted the old chip shop was there, but looked for and couldn't find a restaurant called I think Banner's Farmfare-used to be one in Beeston also. Have both they and Berni's gone??.

Yes Gary also rode at Plough Lane in 1990 for Long Eaton

He always was one of the more rotund riders of his era :wink:

Many thanx, all.

Plenty enuff to be going along with her for my notes!! :approve:

As an aside, the story of his sacking by Eric Boocock is an interesting one..

Are there any other instances over the yeasrs of a Speedway rider being sacked for being too overweight..??!!! :unsure::lol:

When he first got into the Stoke team (1981 or 82) he was awesome until he broke his thigh in the British under 21's,knocked off by a certain Sky commentator if I remember right!When he came back,he was never the same,although he was always a good heat leader/second string.If he hadn't have done his leg in,I think he could have been 1st division standard,but who knows?I saw him at Scunthorpe the other week as well,and he looked like it was a only a couple of weeks since he last rode,never mind ten years!

GARY O'HARE Stoke(82,83,84,85),Barrow(85),Edinburgh(85),EllesmerePort(85),Newcastle(86,87),R

eading(87),LongEaton(88,89,90,91,92),Sheffield(88) MANCHESTER ENG 14.09.1963

Gary rode most of 1990 for the invaders .but was warned by Eric Boocock that if he did not lose some weight he would be sacked .he did not lose any weight and eric carried out his threat to fire him about two thirds of the way through that season .i dont recall him riding in the premier league after that but he may have i just can't remember it

hello i feel i must point out two things here just to put things straight, firstly eric boocock wasn't in charge at long eaton untill 1991, secondly i was never given a lose weight ultimatum .it became obvious that a change was going to be made when mark lemon appeared on the scene and i was the one to miss out even though myself,martin dixon an deon prinsloo were all on about 6 point averages i drew the short straw although iff i am honest i wasn't enjoying my racing for some reason and eric probably made the right decision. as for my career details frigbo is spot on and no i am not irish! cheers gary.

Edited by gary o'hare

Guest Ashie Smashy
Gary rode most of 1990 for the invaders .but was warned by Eric Boocock that if he did not lose some weight he would be sacked .he did not lose any weight and eric carried out his threat to fire him about two thirds of the way through that season .i dont recall him riding in the premier league after that but he may have i just can't remember it

Adonis, are you John Bailey?

Guest Ashie Smashy
hello i feel i must point out two things here just to put things straight, firstly eric boocock wasn't in charge at long eaton untill 1991, secondly i was never given a lose weight ultimatum .it became obvious that a change was going to be made when mark lemon appeared on the scene and i was the one to miss out even though myself,martin dixon an deon prinsloo were all on about 6 point averages i drew the short straw although iff i am honest i wasn't enjoying my racing for some reason and eric probably made the right decision. as for my career details frigbo is spot on and no i am not irish! cheers gary.

Good to hear from you Gary, you were a great assett to LE all the time you rode. Deon Prinsloo, now there's a name from the past. Whatever happened to him, does anyone know if he carried on racing?

Good to hear from you Gary, you were a great assett to LE all the time you rode. Deon Prinsloo, now there's a name from the past. Whatever happened to him, does anyone know if he carried on racing?

hello, seen his name a few times but speedway in south africa isn't what it was.

GARY O'HARE Stoke(82,83,84,85),Barrow(85),Edinburgh(85),EllesmerePort(85),Newcastle(86,87),R

eading(87),LongEaton(88,89,90,91,92),Sheffield(88) MANCHESTER ENG 14.09.1963

Nice to hear from you no chance of a comeback we need any help we can get at Stoke ,hope to see you a mr Collin's meeting later this month :lol: