British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
asturmer

Mike Ferreira

Sorry to hear that the once high point scoring and ultra reliable National and British League rider Mike Ferreira is struggling and doing it tough, working on a farm in South Africa. Does anyone else have any news?

i found mike to be a really nice bloke. he gave me his wimbledon race jacket when riding for the dons in 1983. it's really sad to hear he is going through hard times.

Sorry to hear that the once high point scoring and ultra reliable National and British League rider Mike Ferreira is struggling and doing it tough, working on a farm in South Africa. Does anyone else have any news?

Sorry to hear that news Andrew, I knew Mike very well from the first time he came over, he was one of my regular customers, always polite and kept good equipment a true professional. I had the idea he joined the military after speedway.

Tony

Sorry to hear that news Andrew, I knew Mike very well from the first time he came over, he was one of my regular customers, always polite and kept good equipment a true professional. I had the idea he joined the military after speedway.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Seems Mike had to leave Zimbabwe as during the Rhodesia war he was on the wrong side and the economic crisis probably lost him his savings like many other Zimbabweans!! I remember he had a Godden at one stage which was immaculately presented. I remember him being swamped by kids at the Davington school fete in Faversham, when he showed off his bikes, and I think they had more people through the gate at Canterbury speedway after that!

One of my all time favourite opposition riders, I remember him scoring a 15 point max with ease for Canterbury at Brough Park in about 1980 or 1981

isn't mike Paul Thorp's brother in law or something.......if anybody sees paul it might be worth asking

first time i saw him ride was in 1980,he scored a 12 point maximum for canterbury against stoke,top national league rider unbeatable on his day.

One of my all time favourite opposition riders, I remember him scoring a 15 point max with ease for Canterbury at Brough Park in about 1980 or 1981

hi keith,

yes mike ferreira was a quailty rider think the year was 1981

hi keith,

yes mike ferreira was a quailty rider think the year was 1981

I have just sent Mike Ferreira a christmas card as he is living would you believe ,back in Harare Zimbabwe ! He must be encountering difficulties just to survive on a daily basis!I hope to have more news in due course, if a worker at the post office there does not take off the Aussie postage stamp and throw away the card!! Yes, such is the desparation there that a foreign stamp, used, is worth something!

isn't mike Paul Thorp's brother in law or something.......if anybody sees paul it might be worth asking
think you will find its mark fiora.

Tell Mike not to drink the water-bet Zimbabweans wish Smithie was back in charge.