British Speedway Forum

What is says on the british spedway site is this.

Pirates bosses have won the race to stage the event after the loss of Newport following the sad passing of club boss Tim Stone.

Pirates promoter Matt Ford said, " Wer'e delighted to stage this event and we want to meet the high standards set by Tim at Newport. He is sadly missed."

Sorry really cannot see anything wrong with that.

I can state honestly that regardless of which club had made this statement that my reaction and feeling would be the same towards them You've got to realise that Newport have no connection with Poole because of the league structure. The only time 90% of Newport fans will even see Poole race is on Sky. So to try and make Poole out to be the victim seems a little bit of a desperate responce.

I just think every part of the way this has been dealt with has been mishandled. At the end of the day a guy has died and the New Year Classic was something he created, made a success and ran for many years.

As someone said, why didn't Matt Ford apply for the December licence? And the press release on the BSPA website was awful, the one on speedwayworld.tv was MUCH better. The BSPA one seemed like it was going to even be called the New Year Classic, which seems pretty bad.

Also, what was the problem in waiting for the tenders to go in at the conference in November? It's not like the promoter would have to arrange things around other countries. They could ring 90% of the riders up the week before and if they are up for it, they will do it. I know that Tim spoke to Mark Loram one year to try and do it but no matter what he said to it he wasn't interested. Was it because of money? Nope, they didn't even get around to that, it was because Mark said it was way to cold for him!!!

I understand what Steve is saying about people coming accross as bitter, but you've got to realise that it's not like Colin Horton owned us, took us under then shut up shop and dissapeared and now you have applied for the meeting. A person has dies and people are always going to take anything that was tied to him to heart.

On the flipside, what if the new promoter was planning on this meeting as a cash injection to kickstart his team building and this put the deal in jeopardy?

What is says on the british spedway site is this.

Pirates bosses have won the race to stage the event after the loss of Newport following the sad passing of club boss Tim Stone.

Pirates promoter Matt Ford said, " Wer'e delighted to stage this event and we want to meet the high standards set by Tim at Newport. He is sadly missed."

Sorry really cannot see anything wrong with that.

You missed the first line which says:

"Poole will stage the New Year Classic for the first time on Sunday January 4."

Nothing like selective quoting :wink:

So why not get the other side of events to be made public...and I'm not talking about rumour and heresay, or snippets in the Speedway Star. A statement made in public on the BSPA site from the promotion who were supposed to be running this event instead, or commets that they've been gazumped. That way we'll all know...

Well for starters the Poole promotion haven't gone public on any of this, only Steve Shovlars repeating what he has been told on a forum and an announcement that they will be running the New Year Classic for the first time.

That is all I have done, repeat what I have been given to understand on a forum. Clearly Steve will believe his sources and I will believe mine.

I don't see an article in the Star is any less public than an article on the BSPA site.

As for somebody who is in the process of breaking into Speedway promotion and will need the BSPA to back him going public about anything, I can't really see that happening, can you?

To reinforce the point about Steve's posts being clearly biased the following is the complete quote on the BSPA site. Not the selected part that he used to strengthen his reply to Kog, personally I can see that Kog has a valid point when he says it could have been worded better. Also nakes the earlier comment that it won't be called the New Year Classic worthless.

Poole will stage the New Year Classic for the first time on January 4.

Clearly he left the first paragraph out because it did not fit with his version. This, to my way of thinking, would make me doubt the credibility of every post he makes, even if I didn't already.

Poole will stage the New Year Classic for the first time on January 4.

Clearly he left the first paragraph out because it did not fit with his version. This, to my way of thinking, would make me doubt the credibility of every post he makes, even if I didn't already.

I left the first line out because it is innacurate. Poole will not be staging the NYC. They will be staging the Champions Of Champions.

I thnk you should moan at that sites webmaster, or the BSPA who released the few lines. Why have a go at Poole because you don't like the way a few lines are worded on the BSPA site is silly.

On the speedwayworld.tv site it says this.

POOLE have been awarded the licence to hold a winter meeting in the UK at the beginning of 2009.

The New Year Classic event was pioneered at Newport by the late Tim Stone, who successfully staged the event for a decade in early January.

Stone passed away earlier this season, and the future of the club is still uncertain although efforts are being made to revive the Wasps.

There had been suggestions that the winter meeting would remain at the Hayley Stadium, but Poole chief Matt Ford has now confirmed that there will be a major event at Wimborne Road on January 4.

Ford said: "I'm absolutely thrilled that the Association have ratified that Poole stage the New Year meeting after I applied in the summer.

"It's going to be difficult but I want to keep up the high standards that Tim (Stone) has provided at Newport I recent years. He was one of the sport's decent promoters and is desperately missed by us all.

"The actual premise of the event in January is in its infancy, but I am hoping to bring together a Champion of Champions individual which will involve as many of the sport's current national champions as possible.

"I believe it can incorporate a wonderful array of track talent worldwide. I'm confident the New Year meeting legacy that Tim left will be as strong as ever in its switch to Dorset."

Ford has confirmed that the arrangement is for one year only and the winter licence is therefore open to other clubs for 2010.

Is that better? :rolleyes:

Well at least he made sure that the earlier PR gaff wasn't repeated and the webmaster only puts up what he is sent. It might suit your current needs to take everybody for a fool but it ain't necessarily so :rolleyes:

The local Echo printed this yesterday. Again no disrespect and a clear indication that poole only have the event for one year.

MATT Ford has confirmed Poole will become the first British speedway venue to host a 2009 meeting – on Sunday January 4.

Castle Cover Pirates chief Ford, still on cloud nine following the Dorset club’s Elite League title win, has obtained the British Speedway Promoters’ Association off-season licence for one year only.

And Ford is hoping to put on a Champion of Champions event at Wimborne Road after Newport, which staged the New Year event in the past, was forced to close down following the death of promoter Tim Stone earlier this year.

Ford told the Echo: “I am pleased to announce that the next two meetings at Poole will be on two Sunday dates at 3pm – October 26 and January 4.

“I’m absolutely thrilled that the Association has ratified that Poole stage the New Year meeting after I applied in the summer.

“It’s going to be difficult but I want to keep up the high standards that Tim (Stone) has provided at Newport in recent years. He was one of the sport’s decent promoters and is desperately missed by us all.

“The actual premise of the event in January is in its infancy, but I am hoping to bring together a ‘Champion of Champions’ individual which will involve as many of the sport’s current national champions as possible – the European champ, world under-21 champ, etc.

“Unfortunately it will not involve the Aussie national champion, Chris Holder, who will be at home Down Under and enjoying a well-deserved break.

“But I believe it can incorporate a wonderful array of track talent worldwide. I’m confident the New Year meeting legacy that Tim left will be as strong as ever in its switch to Dorset.”

With Poole’s licence only valid for a year, other clubs could also get in on the New Year act from 2010.

Ford added: “After such a successful Diamond Jubilee year in 2008 – and with the Elite Knockout Cup final, second leg at Poole on Sunday week still to come – I am especially keen to give Poole fans another first at the start of next year.

“But I certainly have no intention of monopolising this event. There’s only one close season licence and I count myself very fortunate that we have it in 2009. To my mind, this is one of British speedway’s crown jewel events in the calendar. But I don’t have a divine right to stage it every year.”

Ford also confirmed that children will be admitted free for the Knockout Cup final second leg at Wimborne Road next Sunday, provided they are with a paying adult.

Ford said: “After last Monday’s packed house for our league win, I want as many kids to jump on the bandwagon and join in the celebrations in this great year for the team.

“Sunday week is another huge meeting for the club and the town as we go for a third league and cup double in five years against Eastbourne.

“If we can double the amount of children in the stadium on October 26 it will add to a real carnival atmosphere. I want the fans of tomorrow to enjoy this season as much everyone else. Here’s an opportunity for them not to miss out.”

it should be called Tim Stone Classic immediately

It certainly should be when it returns to Newport. But it would be wrong to call it that this time around as Tim Stone had no connection with Poole and in marketing terms the name will mean little or nothing to the average Poole fan. And before anyone jumps on that comment, I don't mean it disrespectfully. Hence perhaps the reason the name is being changed from NYC to Champion of Champions.

When, or if, it returns to Newport, it should be called the Tim Stone Memorial Trophy.

Shovlar can think all he wants that people will converge on Poole in droves in early January.

I for one would rather give £20 to the British Heart Foundation than line Ford's pockets.

Same here. I won't be going anywhere near Poole Speedway - not for this meeting, or for any other - and I used to enjoy my occasional visits. Coming so soon after the Gelsenkirchen debacle, this despicable action has rounded off yet another black week for the sport.

Tim Stone used to have a hotline to the weather gods. Let's hope he can place an order for the worst January 4th in living memory!

Is that better? :rolleyes:

Can you see why the line 'Poole will stage the New Year Classic for the first time on Sunday January 4' might aggravate people?

Since I was planning on being in Poole for the new year anyway, I may well attend this one. Never gotten to a New Year Classic as yet (or Poole, either!).

Can you see why the line 'Poole will stage the New Year Classic for the first time on Sunday January 4' might aggravate people?

God forbid!! I know you in Wales speak another language but though English was still spoken there isn't it? let me spell it out for you.

Poole ydy yn hidlo 'r Bencampwr Chan Bencampwyr yn cwrdd , Mo 'r 'n grai blwyddyn Chlasur.

OK?

God forbid!! I know you in Wales speak another language but though English was still spoken there isn't it? let me spell it out for you.

Poole ydy yn hidlo 'r Bencampwr Chan Bencampwyr yn cwrdd , Mo 'r 'n grai blwyddyn Chlasur.

OK?

It's a press release about Poole Speedway, are you saying there was no input by your ethereal promotion?

Of course not. Chances are they realised their mistake and the press release for speedwayworld.tv was tweeked.

But thanks for the spelling lesson. I've heard that next weeks lesson is how to look beyond the end of their own nose and realise there is a world outside of Poole, will you or the Poole promotion be attending?