British Speedway Forum

Either that or a return to the 24-man fields of the earlier GPs.

That would cost them more money, which they're obviously not going to be in favour of. They went back to 16 riders to fund a pay rise for the prize money that had never increased since the start of the SGP (even before BSI came along).

Anyway, even if you had 24 riders, there would still be arguments about how you picked them. Frankly given some of the riders out of their depth in a 16-rider line-up, you're going to really scrape the barrel if you expand the field by 50%.

Is Scott Nicholls safely among the top 16 riders in the world? Yes. To be honest, I can't see him ever finishing anywhere other than somewhere between 6th and 10th in the series. That's his place in the world. I wish it were higher, but it could be worse. I agree that if he were Danish or Polish, he wouldn't be afforded as much slack. But he is one of the more entertaining riders in the series and is comfortably still amongst the top riders in the world, despite not being a genuine title contender. The Russian boy (I aint even going to attempt to spell his name off the top of my head) is well worth a shot too, so too Freddie Lindgren. Bomber just hasn't shown enough this season at all to merit a place next year.

I think Scott adds a lot to the GP series, and I genuinely think he is within the top 15 in the World. Just because he isn't in the top 8, does that mean that he shouldn't be included in the series?

Them's the rules - and everybody should abide by them, regardless of how good their supporters feel they are. I can't quote the rules off by heart, but it's something along the lines of the top 8, plus 4 permanent wild cards, 1 wild card for each GP and the 3 qualifiers. Why should he get in just because he's 9th?

I know- here's a radical idea - let's no have wild cards or qualifiers, let's just put the top 16 in and run a one-off world final..... :wink:

Okay, as the thread originator, I'll ask another question: should Scott perhaps have tried to get into the series through the qualifiers?

Yes. He obviously felt that he was good enough to get through on merit - which he obviously wasn't (or at the very least 8 other riders were better than him, or wanted it more). I'd much rather have seen him qualify in the GP, but now he hasn't I cannot buy into the idea that we have to seed him in.

There's a lot of people on here to seem to think he has earned the right to be seeded - not IMHO.

Them's the rules - and everybody should abide by them, regardless of how good their supporters feel they are. I can't quote the rules off by heart, but it's something along the lines of the top 8, plus 4 permanent wild cards, 1 wild card for each GP and the 3 qualifiers. Why should he get in just because he's 9th?

As Henry has explained.Why replace him with someone who isn't as good? :blink: He has regularly shown he is one of the top riders in the world.Plus he is exciting.Regardless of his nationality i don't see a reason to kick him out to be replaced by someone who isn't as good and probably isn't as exciting :blink: Over the GP season he was probably 2 or 3 % worse than Holta.If there was a queue of really good riders trying to get into the GPs you might consider dropping him.Fact is there is a lack of quality.

I think Scott was slightly more consistant than Holta over the season scoring 73 points in the qualifying heats compared to Holta's 70.

Scott gained another 4 points from coming second in the semi's, whilst holta gained 10 points from 3 semi's with two 3rd places a second and of course the 6 points for first in the Swedish GP final.

The only real difference between the two is that Swedish GP win for Holta.

I think Scott was slightly more consistant than Holta over the season scoring 73 points in the qualifying heats compared to Holta's 70.

Scott gained another 4 points from coming second in the semi's, whilst holta gained 10 points from 3 semi's with two 3rd places a second and of course the 6 points for first in the Swedish GP final.

The only real difference between the two is that Swedish GP win for Holta.

Strange that, only one GP win separates Holta and Nicholls, the World championship winner only won one GP as well. Gollob won three.

The difference between Holta and Nicholls as riders is huge which shows what a sham the GP's really are. Holta has twice the amount of race wins.

Nicholls only chance of staying invited is due to nationality,which luckily (for him) is the same as the promotion team.

On any other criteria he wouldn't be there.The top 16 riders in the world? in whose eyes.

Using the three top leagues averages, Poland, Sweden, Nicholls isn't in the top 16 in those two and the third the BEL is so diluted I can't be bothered to even look.

Mark

The difference between Holta and Nicholls is huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......incredible the only averages you dont look at are in the country Holta is too scared to ride in.....

jb

Mark

The difference between Holta and Nicholls is huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......incredible the only averages you dont look at are in the country Holta is too scared to ride in.....

jb

Should read the country "Holta is too sensible to ride in". Never had the right offer at the right time i.e. before Christmas.

Holta would have been as good a performer in the UK as he has been for years in the much tougher Swedish and Polish leagues - no reason why he wouldn't have been.

Mark

jb

Nicholls' average in the Elite League has gone down this year. In 2007 his final GSA was 9.52, yet in spite of a weakened league in 2008 his GSA is only 8.92.

I've defended Nicholls in the past, but my patience has run out this year.

I think the GP series would be better served by bringing in some new blood - such as Emil Saifutdinov.

All the best

Rob

Lucifer Sam

The young Russian would certainly bring some excitement back to the GP'S....As would Holder and Woffinden..........No problems with Nicholls not getting a wildcard.......My point is the qualifying process is ridiculous.....We are getting rubbish getting through year after year......Walasek...Ulamek.....Dryml...If you want the top 16 riders in the world in the gps then Nicholls has to be in it

jb

Sorry jaybea..but much as it pains me to say it, but Tai is nowhere near ready for a GP place yet. As for the GP qualifying process, wouldn't agree it's rubbish - it can only ever be as good as the riders putting themselves forward for it. I'm not exactly that thrilled either at any of the 3 qualifiers (and I say that as a fan of Walasek) but they put themselves forward and won the right to be there - you can;t argue with that - it's certainly more 'there by right' than even a wildcard nomination. Perhaps certain other riders should have done the same. The old saying 'pride cometh before a fall' may appear to be appropriate here. ;)

The old saying 'pride cometh before a fall' may appear to be appropriate here. ;)

Maybe so, but on this season's evidence, wouldn't "Lukas Dryml cometh before a fall" be more accurate? :P

I doubt that Woffinden is even in the Top 50 in the world at the moment, let alone the Top 15. The GP series will lose its last shred of credibility if he's given 1 of the picks. :rolleyes: