British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

What Me Miss About 70s Speedway

I seem to remember that; that was at WFC, wasn't it? Dear old Jim Tebby was a great footballer, and I think it was at that match where he scored a beautiful goal from the edge of the box in front of the West Bank! Anyone know if Viv's still with us?

Steve

Yes,at WFC.

Slaphead should know if Viv is still alive.Although i haven't seen him post for a while.Maybe Blazeaway can ask.or i will ask my Mum :) He is/was my mums uncle

Edited by iris123

Okay smart-arse... :angry: Anyway, I never did get any of Wally's recordings. However, one of my most cherished possessions from the 70's is an LP of the 1974 World Final, narrated by Chris Carter! How many of you remember, or even had knowledge of, that?

So Chunky, you're the one who has been trying to punt that on ebay for the last couple of years with no success ;)

Kids running about with a coke can on their foot acting as a steel shoe.

Hahaha, i remember back when i lived in Berwick, me and my pal both had Grifters, we made the shape of a wee track on the grass area out the back of his house, and taped lolly sticks to the frame so they made a bikey noise when they connected with the spokes, the things you do as kids eh :lol:

Saying that, i'm 35 and cycle to work, i've caught myself often at traffic lights holding the back brake as if its a clutch waiting for the lights to turn green, theres no hope for some of us! :lol:

Hahaha, i remember back when i lived in Berwick, me and my pal both had Grifters, we made the shape of a wee track on the grass area out the back of his house, and taped lolly sticks to the frame so they made a bikey noise when they connected with the spokes, the things you do as kids eh

Saying that, i'm 35 and cycle to work, i've caught myself often at traffic lights holding the back brake as if its a clutch waiting for the lights to turn green, theres no hope for some of us!

You saddo :lol: None of my mates were into speedway, but I would still get them to race around the square(sounds familiar :P ) outside the library and I would fly up the inside of them and send them careering through the bushes, with Raleigh Choppers, Grifters, Tommahawks and bodies flying everywhere, the wooly bully must have been at Blantyre the night before :wink: , there were many a ripped pair of flares over at that library :approve:

You saddo None of my mates were into speedway, but I would still get them to race around the square(sounds familiar ) outside the library and I would fly up the inside of them and send them careering through the bushes, with Raleigh Choppers, Grifters, Tommahawks and bodies flying everywhere, the wooly bully must have been at Blantyre the night before :wink: , there were many a ripped pair of flares over at that library :approve:

:lol:

My best mate at the time, his folks ran the Queens Head pub just down from that Smiths chippie when you come out from Shielfield, even though it was Berrington back then for speedway, there was not a bad sized paved garden area out back, his dad had two or three big bath sized containers for growing stuff in, we used to race around them, 4 lap races, man, with concrete paving, we used to get some cuts and bruises doing that :lol:

I've been off this week but on friday last week, our UPS delivery guy was asking what i was up to on my week off, he's a Glasgow man, a great laugh, i said i'm off to the speedway friday and saturday, "aye i used to go to Blantyre every week as a boy, you cannae beat that smell" he said!

I don't think he's been for a long time though, still, good to get a yap about it!

Seem to remember Cyril Maidment always out their taking the bags of sawdust out of the tractor and putting them on the bends

Does anyone know the name of the fan at the 1975 Wembley world final who, exasperated by the billowing dust that ruined the early races on a terribly prepared track, grabbed a water hosepipe from the dog track and proceeded to soak the outside of the track on the first bend? Wonder what happened to him?

Bet PC would have a word or two for him as well...he slid on the greasy patch caused by the unscheduled overwatering and that was the end of his title hopes.

Does anyone know the name of the fan at the 1975 Wembley world final who, exasperated by the billowing dust that ruined the early races on a terribly prepared track, grabbed a water hosepipe from the dog track and proceeded to soak the outside of the track on the first bend? Wonder what happened to him?

Bet PC would have a word or two for him as well...he slid on the greasy patch caused by the unscheduled overwatering and that was the end of his title hopes.

Really?

The great carnival atmosphere

test matches that had meaning

having to arrive early so you could get in

supporting a national team called ENGLAND

my homemade programme board with a big bulldog clip

the coloured bulbs hung from post to post around the Poole track

the lights just over the track at Poole

Super Simmo stickers on every car in Poole

Watching Pete Smith racing

Cheese and Onion rolls at Swindon (that takes me back)

Riders and staff marching out onto the centre green to a good marching tune both teams side by side ( what a build up that was to a big meeting)

real second halves

Edited by Wildcat Steve

Really?

REALLY!!! :mad:

Steve

I was there that night,sat on the third bend(not literally) and can remember the dust :lol: Also seem to remember there was a bomb scare that night,and to my knowledge,nobody left :lol:

As for PC not winning,yes I was gutted that Phil Crump never won as well :P

Saying that, i'm 35 and cycle to work, i've caught myself often at traffic lights holding the back brake as if its a clutch waiting for the lights to turn green, theres no hope for some of us!

I think there are one or two who do stuff like that but who might not be so prepared to admit it. :D

You saddo :lol: None of my mates were into speedway, but I would still get them to race around the square(sounds familiar :P ) outside the library and I would fly up the inside of them and send them careering through the bushes, with Raleigh Choppers, Grifters, Tommahawks and bodies flying everywhere, the wooly bully must have been at Blantyre the night before , there were many a ripped pair of flares over at that library

Typical Glasgow rider :D

'Choppers, Tomahawks & Grifters' I am surprised you have the nerve to mention those bloody things. And before you say it, yes, I had one.

What a brilliant thread. Made me laugh all the way through and brought back a stack of memories. :approve:

REALLY!!! :mad:

Steve

I believe FB was referering to the fact someone actually grabbed a hose pipe during a world final and watered the track with it, he obviously hadnt heard the story before. I dont think for a minute he was disputing the fact PC would have won if that hadnt happened.

Typical Glasgow rider :D

We never had any riders like that HT :wink: , thats why I had to use big Rob Grant as an example, although the young Kenny McKinna could be a bit wild and reckless :P

I believe FB was referering to the fact someone actually grabbed a hose pipe during a world final and watered the track with it, he obviously hadnt heard the story before. I dont think for a minute he was disputing the fact PC would have won if that hadnt happened.

I am :lol::P