British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scunny Stag

Scunthorpe Saints Sign Two More 14-year Olds

Scunthorpe Speedway Press Release:

The Scunthorpe Saints have added two more fourteen year-olds to next season’s side as the club increases its focus on youth development. The pair of highly-promising youngsters are Kyle Howarth, from Manchester, and Ashley Morris who hails from the West Midlands. Morris is the step-son of former Buxton rider Neil Painter, has been a regular attendee at the club’s practice sessions for over a year and can start riding for the Saints after his fifteenth birthday next May. Howarth is a recent convert from Moto X and has quickly adapted to the sport. His fifteenth birthday is in February so will be able to start the season along with James Sarjeant who’s birthday is next month.

The first three signings are confirmation of a change of direction for the Conference League side with rider development the highest priority. Saints’ Team Manager Malcolm Vasey explained “For Scunthorpe Speedway to be successful we need to develop riders for our Premier League side. We have the best facilities in the country for rider development with the mini-track, practices, amateur meetings and no planning constraints on the use of our track. To make the facilities really work for the club we have to give the best young riders the opportunity to ride in the Conference League and then the Premier League. That is why we are going to blood James, Kyle and Ashley next year and we hope to have other youngsters in the side. James, Kyle and Ashley are three extremely talented youngsters and we hope to provide the best environment for them to develop. It is really exciting to think of the team we might have and whilst we might not win the league in 2009 I think we could have an excellent chance in 2010”.

I thought they could not sign until they are 15?

phil they can t but they can comitt verbal a gentlemen agreement it benifits club and rider and i know that ashley is very happy to keep his word come his 15th birthday.

Excellent move by the Saints, I don't know much about the other two lads, but the signing of James Sargeant is a very good one, I think that the lad is very under rated, and I am sure other two lads will prove too be a good move as well.

Well done to all at Scunny it's a breath of fresh air to hear of your plans for 2009, I only hope that the other tracks stop & take notice & do something similar. Best of luck to you all, I only wish my son was still involved!!!!

Is not time for the likes of Scunthorpe to become a Centre of Excellence for the sport, we now need to concentrate on own talented riders, and Scunthorpe would be an excellent place to have it.

Is not time for the likes of Scunthorpe to become a Centre of Excellence for the sport, we now need to concentrate on own talented riders, and Scunthorpe would be an excellent place to have it.

I have just been over to Scunny for a LJGTRC meeting over the past two days.Spoke to Kyle Howarth who was there supporting his dad who was in the 500 class. He is so keen and willing to learn but remaining level headed. It's such a tonic to see there is British local youth being supported, by an up and coming club like Scunthorpe allowing them to prepare early for the forthcoming season.

I recall Kyle's first ride on a speedway bike back in July at Buxton. Cannot believe he is the same rider, he has taken to it like a duck to water. His dad is right behind him, has committed already to top class machinery so it should be great to watch his progress next year.

Scunthorpe have softly, softly built up a super reputation. They put on practice sessions virtually every week, welcome all ability riders, allow quality amateur meetings as well as the well documented Conference and Premier league campaigns. The weather seems kind in the area and riders can plan their pratice sessions virtually knowing Scunny will be on. What with the little practice track Scunny gets my vote for the centre of excellence. No other track is doing more for the sport.BSPA please take note.

Edited by speedwaysquashman