British Speedway Forum
schumi

Kingsmead

I’m going to be in Canterbury soon, and wanted to go and see if I can remember where the old track was. If I’m right I think there’s now a coach park on the site? But can you still get up to the track from the road without trespassing?

But can you still get up to the track from the road without trespassing?

I didn't think that sort of thing got in your way??? :unsure::rolleyes: Undercover of darkness.......the catphotographer strikes....... :blink:

Last time I went past there was a huge bloody fence around it, and I’m not climbing it. :D I think there’s a pathway along by the river there though – does anyone know if it leads to the track?

Yes, if you walk along the left bank of the river (with Sainsbury's behind you) you will be able to see where the stadium once was. I went along there in the summer and they were building loads of 'yuppie flats'. The coach park is on the right bank of the river.

Take some tissues if you go and have a look. :cry:

I went there a couple or so years ago when I was working nearby and had a look. I took some photos of how it was then, and it was little more than a piece of wasteland. you could still make out the track shape though, and odd traces of fence etc.

http://www.geocities.com/gam_noticeboard/cbury

I went there a couple or so years ago when I was working nearby and had a look. I took some photos of how it was then, and it was little more than a piece of wasteland. you could still make out the track shape though, and odd traces of fence etc.

http://www.geocities.com/gam_noticeboard/cbury

Thanks for that.

What a waste of a once great stadium. :angry:

Well, went there today, and all there was were flats - nothing else. :(

Thanks for the pics, grachan - the track is exactly as I remember it. And thanks to everyone else for the help. :)

Well, after seeing this thread last night, i was telling my boss today i'd send him the link to the pics on one of the posts above, he's from Canterbury originally and does remember the sound of bikes but never actually went to Kingsmead.

I'm sure he said he'd been to a few boot sales or something like that after they closed, i'm not sure if he knew the site was all flats now though, we've nearly made a Scot of him now up here, he'll be shocked! :shock:

Edited by falkirkbandit

Well, after seeing this thread last night, i was telling my boss today i'd send him the link to the pics on one of the posts above, he's from Canterbury originally and does remember the sound of bikes but never actually went to Kingsmead.

I'm sure he said he'd been to a few boot sales or something like that after they closed, i'm not sure if he knew the site was all flats now though, we've nearly made a Scot of him now up here, he'll be shocked! :shock:

Only one edit FB? have you ran out of drink or summat? ;)

They built flats at Powderhall after Edinburgh Council forced out the Monarchs - Although sympathetic to the families involves, It was funny when the area was flooded shortly after! :)

Only one edit FB? have you ran out of drink or summat? ;)

They built flats at Powderhall after Edinburgh Council forced out the Monarchs - Although sympathetic to the families involves, It was funny when the area was flooded shortly after! :)

No chance of running out of supplies here Davy, i'm super stocked up, IRN BRU in the frdge for tomorrow.....now thats forward thinking :lol:

As for Powderhall - i used to come down from Inverness regularilly in the early 90's to stay at my aunts, she stayed at the bottom end of Dalry Rd then, my visits sadly nevercoincided with a trip to P'hall :cry: