British Speedway Forum
asturmer

Shawn Moran, Down And Out In Beverley Hills?

Shawn really was a superb rider and one who should have achieved more. Gating was never his strong point but that made him spectacular to watch as he picked his way through the field. As Falcace has said he was also surprisingly humble and genuinely one of the nicest riders you could wish to meet, always having time for the fans. A true legend in the eyes of Sheffield fans who were privileged enough to see him ride in the 80's. An inspired signing by Ray Glover.

Shooey - thanks for the memories...........

Too right, the man had time for everybody young and old, and deserves to be classed as a true legend not only by the Sheffield supporters but other supporters too.

Hope shawn recovers from his problems, dont remember too much of the old shawn moran, my memories are only of the 1994 season at owlerton when he did an handfull of matches and quit sadly. Mind he still had a better average than most of the current sheffield team and wasnt as good! :)

Hope shawn recovers from his problems, dont remember too much of the old shawn moran, my memories are only of the 1994 season at owlerton when he did an handfull of matches and quit sadly. Mind he still had a better average than most of the current sheffield team and wasnt as good! :)

Well you really missed out not seeing Shawn in his prime.

For Shawn, and to an even greter degree Kelly, there was always a lot more to life than speedway and so his application wasn't all it could be.

Kelly in particular was the greatest natural talent, Craven apart, who ever sat on a speedway bike but his lifestyle prevented him from properly using that talent to its full potential

Personnally I feel they both wasted their opportunity in Speedway, I am sure they feel they got what they wanted out of their careers, the truth is probably somewhere in between

didn,t he appear at the brighton indoor event a couple of years ago and fell off in every race before the 1st turn i seem to remember

I have been watching this thread for a few days now. Is it actually been confirmed that Shawn Moran is in such a predicament as been stated?

If so (just thinking out loud now) is there not something we can do collectively to help the guy. If a fund was raised or something - I would willingly contribute.

I have been watching this thread for a few days now. Is it actually been confirmed that Shawn Moran is in such a predicament as been stated?

If so (just thinking out loud now) is there not something we can do collectively to help the guy. If a fund was raised or something - I would willingly contribute.

Well as much as I liked Shawn Moran I certainly wouldn't contribute to any fund.

Lets face it Shawn was the architect of his own demise and I can think of thousands of causes much much more worthy of fundraising than Shawn Moran.

Alan Wilkinson, Joe Owen etc etc. guys in a terrible way through no fault of their own, are the type of people worthy of collections.

Well as much as I liked Shawn Moran I certainly wouldn't contribute to any fund.

Lets face it Shawn was the architect of his own demise and I can think of thousands of causes much much more worthy of fundraising than Shawn Moran.

Alan Wilkinson, Joe Owen etc etc. guys in a terrible way through no fault of their own, are the type of people worthy of collections.

Worthy? You have a simplistic outlook on life Jeff, and not a little aggressive at times, at least in your posts. Very black and white too, if you do not mind me saying so. Maybe, the doctors and nurses that treated these unfortunate injured riders felt the same as you at the time. Sure, I see where you coming from, but that does not alter my stance one bit. No one is beyond helping.

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Worthy? You have a simplistic outlook on life Jeff, and not a little aggressive at times, at least in your posts. Very black and white too, if you do not mind me saying so. Maybe, the doctors and nurses that treated these unfortunate injured riders felt the same as you at the time. Sure, I see where you coming from, but that does not alter my stance one bit. No one is beyond helping.

If you think Shawn worthy of a collection that is fine, no doubt countless others will too.

I don't mind you saying so Jim, it wouldn't be much of a forum if everyone agreed on everything would it.

For the record I would number both the Moran's in my top 10 of all time favourites, they were riders you hoped would miss the gate and fight their way from the back.

Perhaps a collection for Shawn might not be such a good idea, I asked about Shawn after I heard that had an accident last year, this was a letter that someone had sent someone on this forum who knew both Shawn and Kelly in the States.

Shooey did fall off a motorcycle, but it was nowhere near as bad as losing an arm. Indeed, he had a bottle of whiskey tucked under it when he crashed and both arm and bottle came out unscathed.

It really is sad to see Kelly and Shooey living with their mother in what amounts to the projects. I'm from a council estate in Gorton and that person will always be a part of me Andy, but I've never been third in the world, won World Team Cups, been a speedway superstar, or in Shawn's case, won the 1990 World Final in all but name.

The pair of them have absolutely nothing left from their respective careers. Back in the day they would ride in Poland before it became as popular as today, and would get "paid" in priceless cut glass crystal, which they would both flog for twenty quid as soon as they landed at Manchester Airport and would basically go "up the wall" as it were.

They are both broke and whatever cash they come across, usually from well meaning speedway fans, goes straight in the cash register of the nearest liquor store. I don't know if you ever read VIZ Andy, but the character, 8 ACE could be either of them. It just isn't funny anymore because everyone but Kelly and Shawn can see what it is doing to them.

Still saddens me to read the letter, what a terrible waste of a life, lets hope that both have straightened themselves out.

Shawn b. 19.11.1961 and Kelly b. 21.9.1960

Happy Birthday Shawn.

Do you know something SK, I have posted them without even noticing todays date :oops: So its birthday greetings to one of my all time favourite riders and certainly my favourite rider outwith the Stripes :approve:

I know when I looked up their dates of Birth I had to take a quick glance at the calendar, and too be honest I found it a bit spooky.

You could actually be congratulating the poor guy on his birthday, and he might not even be with us still. The very sad tale of Soren Sjosten comes to my mind. Would it not be prudent to actually find out what the real situation is for the sake of all his fans over here in the UK?

Hello: Earth to Shawn Moran fans:

It appears that this whole thread is based on speculation, and it just gets worse by the minute. There is very little that we can actually do as been pointed out - but if we know the real situation we can then deal with it and at least try and do something positive.

Jim

You are right this is all speculation, surely someone somewhere knows Shawn or Kellys address. then what we could do is every forum member add them to our Christmas Card list. Not a big deal I know but at least a start just a contact from a few fans would be some comfort for these guys to know they are not forgotten. I will contact my USA friends ASAP to try and get some clues to the Morans whereabouts.

The other issue that comes to mind

what happened to the

speedway riders benevolent fund ? and what about support from the grand prix organisation...lest we forget.

Tony

Jim

You are right this is all speculation, surely someone somewhere knows Shawn or Kellys address. then what we could do is every forum member add them to our Christmas Card list. Not a big deal I know but at least a start just a contact from a few fans would be some comfort for these guys to know they are not forgotten. I will contact my USA friends ASAP to try and get some clues to the Morans whereabouts.

The other issue that comes to mind

what happened to the

speedway riders benevolent fund ? and what about support from the grand prix organisation...lest we forget.

Tony

Right you want to know about the whereabouts of the Moran brothers try Andy M on here, the letter was from a friend of his in the States, who knew the the Moran brothers.

The letter was in response to enquiry I made about Shawn been involved in a motorcycle accident, I had heard from others who had been close to both brothers that they had problems with alcohol, and has fallen on hard times The letter more or less confirmed this.

The reason that I post the letter was because there was talk about giving the brothers money, and I think the last thing you should be giving people who have an alcohol problem is money, what they need is help to get them off the alcohol, certainly not money, but at the end of the day they have to want to get off it.

As for wishing Shawn a Happy Birthday, why can't I, the man was a hero of mine, and I hope that both he and Kelly are both safe and well.

He maybe, just maybe bloody dead. Do you often wish dead people happy birthday? Spin king you are really getting up my nose now. Does that ring a little bell with you for christsakes? 'DEAD'? What is it with you people? How can he be safe and well - if he is dead? Do you all live in la la land? Lets find out before we go all a 'ga ga'...and before we get gooey eyed and all this 'keeping safe and all that rubbish'. What are you lot on? Methanol?

I hope he is still alive, of course I do, and I do seem to be the only one that actually wants to help him financially if he still is?

Sorry, but I think that you are been a bit over the top, here talk about over react. Some ask how old Shawn was and I when went to look I realise it was the mans birthday. I put the comment in wishing him a Happy Birthday, to merely point out it was his Birthday and too wish him a Happy Birthday, alright in a perfect world I should have does everyone realise that it is his birthday, sorry but I am not morbid enough to start thinking is he dead or not, and I don't think that 99.9% of people would..

Also where have I said I don't want to help the man or see the man get financial help, I have not the man has a an alcohol problem and yes he needs help, and I would be the first person to help, but simply throwing money at his problems, and that is if he stills has those problems is not the answer in fact you could kill him.

I apologize if I have offended you or anyone else on this forum, that was not my intention to, and I think that we all want the same thing for Shawn to be safe and well.