British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

A Track I Wish I Could Have Visited

I would have liked to have seen meetings at Norwich, Stamford Bridge & Yarmouth.

Of the current tracks, I've never been to Redcar, so I need to do that sometime.

My favourite all-time racetrack was Hackney (Ouch, and I was a Wimbledon supporter in those days!!)

I would have liked to have seen meetings at Norwich, Stamford Bridge & Yarmouth.

Of the current tracks, I've never been to Redcar, so I need to do that sometime.

My favourite all-time racetrack was Hackney (Ouch, and I was a Wimbledon supporter in those days!!)

Never understood the notion of Hackney being a good racetrack. It always struck me as having only one decent line about a foot from the fence.

Any rider with a thought of self preservation simply didn't go there leaving the brave (or foolish) riders to ride round them. That was the only way of passing at Hackney as I recall.

The area on the outside of the fence was littered with deadly obstructions and a rider literally took his life in his hands attempting to pass at Hackney. Sadly a few paid the ultimate price round there and it would be nice if some sort of commerative plaque be housed in whatever is eventually built there honouring these men.

There is such an arrangement at Meadowbank honouring Peter Craven and I believe the old Sydney Royale site has such a plaque

i thought hackney pre 1984 was a decent racetrack, although not in the same class as west ham!.

For me I always wanted to see the racing at West Ham but never managed to get there before it closed.

The same goes for the other stadium I wanted to visit and that was the old Belle Vue track. I always wanted to get there and see the B.L.R.C. the line up used to be like a end of season world final with the calabre of the riders present.