British Speedway Forum
Vicar

Australia 2008/2009

Qld Champs Again! - Posted 15 December, 2008

by Gavin Elmes on http://www.goldcoastspeedway.com/

Having won the twice postponed 2008 Queensland Sidecar Title just ten weeks

ago, Jason Aldridge and Duane Dennis extended their reign as champions by

winning the 2009 crown. For Dennis, it was a hat-trick of wins, having collected the

2007 trophy riding with Gary Moon. A very large crowd witnessed a programme of

cut-and-thrust, spectacular and pulsating sidecar and solo action, on a well-

prepared track which was partially flooded the previous day. There was scarcely a

race without passing.

Wayne Munck and his petite passenger, Yolanda Wilken, scorched through the

heats unbeaten. Aldridge dropped one point and that was to Munck who forced

an inside pass on Aldridge, who had taken the lead in their first race of the night.

Joining them in the thrill-a-second final, was Scott Christopher / Trent Koppe and

Robbie Wilson/Cameron Bell. After a false start which saw Munck first into the

turn, Aldridge led the charge from the tapes, from Christopher, Munck and Wilson.

The latter three bumped and shoved their way through pits bend with Munck

coming out best and diving under Aldridge at the end of the first lap. Then

followed three laps of awesome racing as the front runners passed and repassed

each other. With Aldridge emerging first out of the final turn, Munck made a

sensational outside run, but was denied the win in a very close finish.

Heat 1 produced an explosive start to the event, setting the scene of thrills and spills. With Gary Moon/Mick Ing leading into the second lap, Jodie Donovan/Hamish Fairbrother rode high, hit the fence and flipped as Christopher swept under them. Jeff Barth/Dave Oliver collided with Donovan's outfit and almost rolled as well. Moon led the rerun, with Christopher coming through from third to take the flag.

Moon appeared to have engine problems after the start of his fourth ride, but claimed a red light on an infield photographer's camera caused him to stop. His protests for a rerun only brought him an awarded point for third, behind the only two finishers. Ross Brown and Bill Sewell suffered terminal engine problems in their first outings.

Two sidecar passengers, the Newman brothers Daniel and Andrew, were taken to hospital after a coming together of their respective outfits in their last heat. Daniel was reported to have a broken arm and Andrew a shoulder injury. Daniel was also involved in an earlier skirmish. Riding with his father Paul, the Newman trike blew a back tyre at the completion of a race, spun and was slammed by Bob Hill/ Nick Bain who were up-ended and ruled out of the meeting.

Picture shows twice World Solo Champion Jason Crump, who presented the trophies to Dennis (left) and Aldridge (right).

Heat Points: Wayne Munck/Yolanda Wilken 15, Jason Aldridge/Duane Dennis 14, Scott Christopher/Trent Koppe 12, Robbie Wilson/Cameron Bell 12, Gary Moon/Mick Ing 11, Jodie Donovan/Hamish Fairbrother 9, Scott Davies/Andrew Newman 8, Jeff Barth/Dave Oliver 7, Paul Newman/Daniel Newman 7, Glen Vercoe/Chris Lewis 6, Anthony Schofield 4, Ben Cooper/Ryan Spann 4, Bob Hill/Nick Bain 3, Gary Schofield/Ben Schofield 2, Peter Wilken/Kelly Cooper (res) 2, Bill Sewell/Kim Laycock 1.

Final: 1. Jason Aldridge, 2. Wayne Munck, 3. Scott Christopher, 4. Robbie Wilson

Ward Wins Gold! - Posted 15 December, 2008

by Gavin Elmes

The phenomenal rise of 16 year-old Darcy Ward continued with his dynamic win of

the Ivan Mauger Golden Helmet.

Again it was a battle with Josh Grajczonek for the honours, having beaten him in

the recent Qld U-21 title, but coming second to Grajczonek in the Qld Solo

Championship. It was Grajczonek who got away smartly in the Golden Helmet final,

but Ward rocketed to the lead with a burst of speed down the back straight.

Trent Leverington was third and Taylor Poole fourth.

The contest lost some of its appeal when Scott Smith was unfortunately not

allowed to compete because he arrived 20 minutes late, having been at work all

day. Yet he arrived an hour and forty minutes before them meeting started.

Grajczonek started the night with a win over Ward in the opening race, then

Trent Leverington took a point from Ward in the second round. Ward answered

with a win over Leverington next time out. Grajczonek pulled off a great save

when he and Sam Taylor were caught up in heavy dirt on pits bend and both

almost ended up in the fence. Taylor went on to win. A broken chain in his last

heat found Grajczonek's chances of a place in the final depending on a first

or second in the semi-final. Mitchell Davey had mixed fortunes with a fall, a win

and engine failure after working his way into second place in his last heat.

Taylor Poole was very impressive. The 16 year-old NSW speedster rattled off five second places to earn his spot in the final.

Heat Points:Trent Leverington 11, Darcy Ward 10, Taylor Poole 8, Sam Taylor 7, Josh Grajczonek 5, Mitchell Davey 4, Harley Horwood 1.

Semi-final: 1. Josh Grajczonek, 2. Taylor Poole, 3. Sam Taylor, 4. Mitchell Davey.

Golden Helmet Final: 1. Darcy Ward, 2. Josh Grajczonek, 3. Trent Leverington, 4. Taylor Poole.

Pictured from left to right: Taylor Poole, Trent Leverington, Darcy Ward, Ivan Mauger, Josh Grajczonek.

Nick Again! - Posted 15 December, 2008

by Gavin Elmes

The hotly contested junior events during the equally hot and humid afternoon

resulted in another trophy on Nick Morris's shelf.

The Queensland Under 16 Champion again went through the card unbeaten,

leading home Tyson Snow, Ellis Perks and Zaine Kennedy in the final.

The overall racing on a soft, heavy track was highly entertaining and well

supported with 16 riders. Ellis Perks was the big improver of the day, finishing

second in the heat points. 13 year-old New Zealander Anthony Knowles made

his debut under the watchful eyes of Ivan Mauger, however the youngster was

far more impressive in his 350cc demonstration rides on the big track.

Tyson Nelson and Nick Morris had wins in the 350cc races, which included

Jake Moore and North Queenslander Dylan Blain. However, the heat and quick

succession of events caused Morris and Moore to

miss some of their races.

Junior Heat Points: Nick Morris 15, Ellis Perks 12, Tyson Snow 9, Zaine Kennedy

9, Robert Gottardi 9, Tori Bellamy 9, Matthew Day 9, Dylan Blain 9, Jake Moore 8

(3 rides), Harley Brigden 8, Bryce Brigden 6, Anthony Knowles 5 (4 rides),

Scott Schofield 5, Michael Detenon 4, Jake Hinchliffe 3, Brandon Coglan 2.

Final: 1. Nick Morris, 2. Tyson Snow, 3. Ellis Perks, 4. Zaine Kennedy.

Picture shows Tyson Snow (left) and Nick Morris.

I heard that Darcy won the Ivan Mauger Golden Helmet in Qld from Josh Grajczonek , Trent Leveringham and Taylor Poole 4th.

I haven't heard any scores yet but should know soon - I've been out & about! B)

As written on motospeedway.net:

Broadford Dec 7

A-Final:

1 Tyron Proctor

2 Jason Stewart

3 Jake Anderson

4 Jackson Milne

5 Matt Jones

6 Josh Munro

B-Final:

1 Darryl Spiden

2 Tim Holford

3 Wayne Morrison

4 Gordon Young

Do you have more details Don?

From the Gosford Speedway site, http://www.centralcoastspeedway.com/ - Rod Colquhoun's pen-pictures of the qualifiers field

1/Tom Hedley– MILDURA (VIC)

Mildura’s Tom Hedley was the ‘next big thing’ according to some judges a few years back, but hasn’t quite found his rhythm since suffering a serious head injury just over a year ago. He is ready to re-launch his career and tonight would be a great place to start.

2/HUGH SKIDMORE – COFFS HARBOUR (NSW)

The current NSW Under 21 Champion, Hugh is a top kid and a real racer in every sense of the word. Has really come on since teaming with renowned engine tuner Steve Langdon last year and tonight will be his biggest test to date.

3/LEE HERNE – Lumeah(NSW)

Lee is entitled to win this meeting, but nothing is ever straight forward in speedway and there are a dozen young kids trying to stop him. He is a multiple Australian finalist and former international. Hard to stop tonight.

4/KOZZA SMITH – NEWCASTLE (NSW)

A Gifted motorcyclist who has channelled his skills into speedway and is starting to get the rewards for his efforts. Outstanding second place in the recent NSW Championship and one of the favourites tonight on his local track. Mr Excitement!

5/KURT SHIELDS – MULBRING (NSW)

This bloke has a great riding style and wants an international career so bad it hurts! He knows tonight is a very important meeting in terms of his future and recent form suggests he could get through. Part of a family that knows nothing except speedway! Solid chance.

6/RYAN SEDGMEN – MILDURA (VIC)

Ryan is a top kid and has and enormous amount of skill. A crash last summer at Gillman seems to have taken the edge off him a little and some recent health issues aren’t helping him at all. Has the skill, but he’ll need to bounce back to his best tonight if he’s to progress.

7DARCY WARD – BRISBANE (QLD)

Strap yourself in! This kid is as fast as any 16 year old in the recent history of the sport. Eats, sleeps and breathes speedway and this will be his toughest test on home soil yet. Could win it, or may be found out as being a little inexperienced at this level. Great talent and a huge future, regardless!

8/JUSTIN SEDGMEN – MILDURA (VIC)

Like his older brother Ryan, Justin has bags of skill and so far has not put a foot wrong in the senior ranks. Top young bloke with a big future in the sport and could prove a dark horse tonight. Great text book riding style too.

9/SAM MASTERS – NEWCASTLE (NSW)

This bloke can ride anything fast! He’s just a kid at heart but if it’s got a throttle he’ll make it work. Has a burning ambition to ignite his international career and knows that tonight is a great place to start. Not too far behind Darcy Ward in terms of potential.

10/MICHAEL PENFOLD – NEWCASTLE (NSW)

This kid is a real surprise package. Looked handy as a junior, but not overly special, however his efforts on the 500 have been enormous. Starting to gain a reputation as someone to be reckoned with and fears nobody. One to watch.

11/RICHARD SWEETMAN – NEWCASTLE (NSW)

Supremely talented youngster who would probably be the bookie’s favourite tonight, but still has to get the job done. Top young bloke with a promising international career ahead of him and really loves this Central Coast layout. Hard to stop.

12/MITCHELL DAVEY – TOWNSVILLE (QLD)

Mitch has a really nice style and loads of potential. Will need a good first ride tonight to get a roll on. Just returned from debut UK season and could qualify tonight but will need to ride out of his skin. Top young fella too.

13/AARON SUMMERS – ADELAIDE (SA)

Very neat rider with a solid UK season under his belt, Aaron will be looking for a podium finish tonight and hopefully won’t get swamped by riders who know the track better than he does. Deserves to get through but there are no guarantees.

14/ARLO BUGEJA – ADELAIDE (SA)

Nice young bloke with a massive heart. Gives every race everything, but might find this hurdle a little hard to overcome. Would be a threat on his home track, but might come up a little short tonight. That said, he wouldn’t be here if he wasn’t good enough – has a puncher’s chance!

15/JAMES HOLDER – APPIN (NSW)

This bloke is a solid competitor. Doesn’t win too many meetings, but rarely finishes outside the top four. He’s desperate to get through after riding a couple of races in the Australian Title last year. He’s not a certainty to make it, but he’ll be very close that’s for sure. Good chance.

16/JAY HERNE – lumeah(NSW)

Jay is very good around here and has just done a full year in the UK. Has been threatening to do something amazing for a couple of years and tonight would be the best time to do it. Should qualify.

The Quals is always a great meeting with real Cut-throat racing - Australian Speedway at its best - should be a ripper, I'm looking forward to catching up with Bryn, Ron & Lunchy and giving them a hard time!! B) (Plus there's this U-Beaut massage parlour just up the hill from the hotel................hopefully I can give them a hard time too!!) :D

Edited by BigFatDave

As written on motospeedway.net:

Broadford Dec 7

A-Final:

1 Tyron Proctor

2 Jason Stewart

3 Jake Anderson

4 Jackson Milne

5 Matt Jones

6 Josh Munro

B-Final:

1 Darryl Spiden

2 Tim Holford

3 Wayne Morrison

4 Gordon Young

Do you have more details Don?

That's all I could find and with it being a club event it's probably all that's available.

Don

Edit: I'm sure that with the proper contacts there is more detail available from most clubs. I just no longer have time to pursue it to that level.

Don

Edited by DonM

5/KURT SHIELDS – MULBRING (NSW)

This bloke has a great riding style and wants an international career so bad it hurts! He knows tonight is a very important meeting in terms of his future and recent form suggests he could get through. Part of a family that knows nothing except speedway! Solid chance.

The Quals is always a great meeting with real Cut-throat racing - Australian Speedway at its best - should be a ripper, I'm looking forward to catching up with Bryn, Ron & Lunchy and giving them a hard time!! B) (Plus there's this U-Beaut massage parlour just up the hill from the hotel................hopefully I can give them a hard time too!!) :D

Hi 'BFD', I hear Kurt wants to come over to the UK next year, what does he need to do to qualify for a work permit ? Does he need a placing in the Aussie championship?

Hi 'BFD', I hear Kurt wants to come over to the UK next year, what does he need to do to qualify for a work permit ? Does he need a placing in the Aussie championship?

To be honest I wouldn't have a clue. Best to check with Oz House, I suppose, or if he's got some Pomgolian Rello that'd help. There's a few Websites available to choose from, www.workpermit.com, www.globalvisas.com, www.skillclear.co.uk, etc, etc.

I think the Shields have British parentage (Mother maybe?).

I know Australian riders without British parentage need to place (top two I believe) in their State titles, its hard to keep track of the constant changes regarding work permits etc, but I heard that a few riders were really sweating on a State title place.

There are a lot of new riders heading over to the UK this year, the start of something special for Australian Speedway me thinks.

The qualifier on Friday should be an absolute cracker, hope to catch up with quite a few people there.

I think the Shields have British parentage (Mother maybe?).

I know Australian riders without British parentage need to place (top two I believe) in their State titles, its hard to keep track of the constant changes regarding work permits etc, but I heard that a few riders were really sweating on a State title place.

There are a lot of new riders heading over to the UK this year, the start of something special for Australian Speedway me thinks.

The qualifier on Friday should be an absolute cracker, hope to catch up with quite a few people there.

Point them in the Newport direction :lol: ask BFD for more details :lol:

Point them in the Newport direction :lol: ask BFD for more details :lol:

No need for me to stir the pot, the presence of Master-scout Brynbach will be enough to get the kids worked up.

Besides, Wasps have got a full team at the mo! Mind you I'll be jogging his elbow on a few points! (Usually when he's got his can of Bundy raised! :rolleyes: )

Gillman South Aust dec 27th.State Title.

1st Darrin Treloar/Justin Plaisted

2nd Mark Mitchell/ Tom Golding

3rd Mark Plaisted / Sam Harrison

4th Mick Headland /Paul Waters ex (in 2nd,)

5th Warron Monson/Devon Gates

6thKane Irwin/Jeremy Sherwood

7th Mick Cave/ Daniel Mitchell

Isn't it top 3 in a state final? A few years ago any Aussie wanting to come over found an easy state final to ride in, I'm sure Scott Smith had to race in the Tasmanian final to get his work permit, it was him against a load of old guys :D

Busy day today - after waking up to find I was still alive after last night (and checking in the Bathroom mirror just to make sure) - I've been tying up all the loose ends - making sure the menagerie is taken care of, feeding the critters (chopping up bits of beast for the doggies, sacrificing some live Quail & Rats for the Joe Blakes and ensuring the Tadpoles are OK - yeah, Tadpoles you read right, we're breeding up Green Tree Frogs to combat the Canetoad menace, GTFs eat Cane Toad Taddies) and packing the plethora of goodies I need to keep me alive and well, I've just gotta have a haircut - Number One - and find me shorts & singlet, socks & jocks and I'm off to all points South.

What's worrying is a scurrilous email I received by accident warning the residents of the Southern States to be on the look-out for a particularly unsavoury-sounding character who seems to be going to the same places I am. Maybe I've got a stalker? Whaddayareckon?

"Public warning.

Caution, please look very carefully at the picture below - if you sight this man do not approach.

This person is wanted in 15 countries for excessive alcohol and substance abuse.

Dont be fooled by his rather large size and jovial nature as these are his main weapons.

He can be found;

At speedway venues

In bars close to speedway venues

Low cost accommodation establishments close to speedway venues

Houses of ill repute close to speedway venues

If you approach him you will suffer bad jokes

Excessive drinking

And a general good time

Approach at your own risk

Police reports indicate he will be on the move during January 2009

You have been warned."

He even LOOKS like me!!

Forecast for the Hunter Region, Friday:

Isolated showers developing. Moderate to fresh south to southeast winds.

Gosford: Chance shower. Min: 16 Max: 23

Forecast for Saturday

Isolated showers. Light to moderate southeast, turning northeast later.

Newcastle: Shower or two. Min: 17 Max: 24

Now where did I put my souvenir of Adelaide Long Johns? :o Stuff the Beanie, I'm takin' tha Panama. B)

Mildura: Forecast for Wednesday

Mostly sunny. Winds southeast to southwesterly averaging about 10 km/h, reaching 25 km/h at times, tending west to southwesterly 25 to 35 km/h during the evening.

Precis: Mostly sunny. Min: 19 Max: 36

That's better! :approve:

Adelaide - see South Pole. :blink:

BFD - I received the e-mail but I did not receive a photo on the bottom.

If I had of done then I would have been happy to join the search for this repubate!!!

Have a good trip and give our boy a huge cheer for me!! x