British Speedway Forum
SHALEWAY69

My First Meeting

...because, being a New Cross supporter, Wimbledon were the enemy! .

"Wimbledon...: the enemy.."??!! :shock:

Remind me - should it ever re-open there - never to offer you a lift home from Plough Lane again!!!! :wink:

Rye House v Poole Wildcats/Edinburgh Monarchs, National League double header...Sunday 8th September 1985

I still have the programme, although I hadn't a clue how to fill it in and don't really remember much about the meeting. One of the Monarchs was a certain Mark "Buzz" Burrows. I didn't realise at the time that I'd still be watching him race in 2008!!

For those who are interested, these are the meeting details:

Rye House Rockets 38

Andrew Silver 12

Bob Garrad 5+1

Kelvin Mullarkey 5

Rob Woffinden 2

Alistair Stevens 12

Kevin Brice 4

Gary Rolls 1+1

Poole Wildcats 40

Martin Yates 10

Kevin Smith 11+1

David Biles 8+1

Marcus Bisson 2+1

Ray Dole 6+1

Gordon Humphries 3+1

I recall Rob Woffinden falling and breaking his collarbone in what I think was his last ever meeting for the Rockets.

Poole finished second in the National League behind Ellesmere Port.

Rye House Rockets 57

Andrew Silver 13+2

Bob Garrad 12+3

Kelvin Mullarkey 13+2

Alistair Stevens 14+1

Kevin Brice 4

Gary Rolls 1

Edinburgh Monarchs 21

Brett Saunders 3

Bobby Beaton 4

Billy Burton 3+1

Steve Finch 5

Mark Burrows 4

Scott Lamb 4

Gordon Whittaker 2+2

This was Len Silvers last year as promoter before he sold the club to Ronnie Russell.

The Rockets finished 13th out of 19 teams in the National League

You could be watching this rider again next year! :shock:

My first meeting was the Superama at Hackney in 1976, I can't remember if Len was there too or would he have been at the Wolves -v- Hackney GBL match?

Dave Jessup won the '76 Superama meeting - Blimey...I feel really old now!

"Wimbledon...: the enemy.."??!! :shock:

Remind me - should it ever re-open there - never to offer you a lift home from Plough Lane again!!!! :wink:

Phew! That's a relief.... :P

You could be watching this rider again next year! :shock:

And this one :shock:

Mark Burrows 4

As a matter of interest is there anybody out there who was also at my first meeting on 13 June 1964 at Somerton Park???Probably not but no harm in asking.

As a matter of interest is there anybody out there who was also at my first meeting on 13 June 1964 at Somerton Park???Probably not but no harm in asking.

Bloody Hell, Bob! I can't remember last week, let alone 44 years ago, but I was probably there near the start/finish line with me Donovan Cap and me home-made clipboard. I've changed a bit since then but so you may not recognise me!!

No was not there in 1964, but do remember going there with Hackney in 1971, I remember Garry Middleton and Sandor Levai having a reall old ding dong, trying to knock each other off, elbows and boots and it continued long after the race. was a lively night cannot recall who won!

I was there that night, but my first meeting was the very first one on 17 April v Cradley Heath. We lost 38~40, and I stood on the third bend near the Railway End with my Dad, my younger brother and 10,000 others. I had never, ever seen anything like it, and I couldn't get enough of it!

Thanx 2nd bender-it must have been a great sight to see Ivor Brown on his first visit-he was always a guy we loved to hate, but was agreat rider. To my friend in Darwin Bigfatdave-did you go on away supportes bus trips with some of your buddies e.g. to Swindon in 65 and did you work at a factory in CwmbranDo you guys remember the old song:

Thanx 2nd bender-it must have been a great sight to see Ivor Brown on his first visit-he was always a guy we loved to hate, but was agreat rider. To my friend in Darwin Bigfatdave-did you go on away supportes bus trips with some of your buddies e.g. to Swindon in 65 and did you work at a factory in CwmbranDo you guys remember the old song:

Ivor didn't mean anything to me in that first meeting, but he sure did in later years! All I can really remember is Peter Vandenberg breaking his arm. My Dad didn't keep the programme, but I picked one up at a Collectors Fair years later.

Yes, I can remember every word of the first verse of the song, sung to 'John Brown's Body' (were there other verses?). But I'm not going to embarass myself by quoting them on here! (I was only 11 in '64).

Main Man will probably remember it too......!

2nd bender No problem -here it is:(tune of John Brown's Body)

"Newport has a speedway team,it is our pride and joy

Its led by Alby Golden and he's backed by six good boys

Their nickname is the wasps and as they ride to victory

The crowd all roar with glee

Glory Glory to the black and amber boys

Glory glory to the black and amber boys " etc etc

I did a couple of away trips; Cradley stands out and Poole, and played a couple of games of Rugby for GKN, - I think they were in Cwmbran, also played for BNS up in Pontypool but its a while ago now, sport! :unsure:

Omigod the Song!! :oops: That brings it back!! :lol:

New Cross-Hackney 1963 can't remember the score .. perhaps Norb can help ? I was a 7-year-old from Peckham S.E.15.

Was at the last match at The Pan when the Rangers went down the pan v.Poole .

Then started following Wimbledon as the only team in sarf London..couldn't bring myself to follow West Ham or Hackney norf of the river , or the two other W clubs,Wembley and White City, who rode in later years . Moved to Swindon in '67 . :blink:

Edited by keef

New Cross-Hackney 1963 can't remember the score .. perhaps Norb can help ?

12 April Southern League match. New Cross 45 Hackney 33

I think the match against Poole was the last ever Speedway at New Cross track. I think they folded a few days later :shock: