British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
oldtimewolf

Sweden's Elite League - Only 9 Teams!

So Sweden's Elite League is down to 9 teams for 2009 with Valsarna having turned down the opportunity to join the top boys meaning that 1 team will not ride at home each week due to the odd number of teams.

This will be interesting as they only race their top league on one night per week (on Tuesdays) and with each team having to miss a weekly meeting, how will the supporters react?

The once per week racenight was suggested by many for the UK's EL but with many problems having to be taken into account, it was ruled out as infeasilble but Sweden are now having to do it - so will it work or will it not?

... meaning that 1 team will not ride at home each week due to ...

I don't understand. How can a team have a home fixture every week if they only race on one day of the week? Surely their home fixtures are fortnightly so that they can alternate home and away fixtures?

I don't understand. How can a team have a home fixture every week if they only race on one day of the week? Surely their home fixtures are fortnightly so that they can alternate home and away fixtures?

Surely it's like football where you have a home fixture every other Saturday, .... or

Sunday, .... or Monday, .... or Friday ........

So with 9 teams all club will have to go at certain times of the season without a home match for three weeks. Wonder how long the gap will be if they get rain offs as well.

Seems the only people complaining about it are the Brits. :rolleyes:

There are bound to be Swedish fans frustrated when their team is forced to sit out a night while the weather is fine, only to get a meeting rained off the following week. Don't think we Brits are unique in that respect, but there are advantages to avoiding a set race night ;)

There are bound to be Swedish fans frustrated when their team is forced to sit out a night while the weather is fine, only to get a meeting rained off the following week. Don't think we Brits are unique in that respect, but there are advantages to avoiding a set race night ;)

I doubt it. They have their calendar finalised, most teams are in place, and they have the best riders wanting to appear. :approve:

f-s-p - errr...well I didn't like to point that out myself. :P

Edited by schumi

But at least the top riders can ride in a league where they don't have to face the same opposition and go to the same tracks all the time...no hang on, that's not quite true is it?! :wink:

They only have a home and away meeting - not B fixtures, Craven Shields, KO Cups and all sorts of other Mickey Mouse meetings. :)

They only have a home and away meeting - not B fixtures, Craven Shields, KO Cups and all sorts of other Mickey Mouse meetings. :)

On the grounds that less is more? British fans would disagree with that too, I guess! :unsure:

On the grounds that less is more? British fans would disagree with that too, I guess! :unsure:

Well, to be fair, British fans disagree with everything. B)

Promoters may also feel they could never recoup their initial investment at the start of the season if they didn't ride sufficient matches to exceed the break-even point.

Correct me if i am wrong,but some tracks do have teams in a couple of leagues,so there are more meetings than might first meet the eye.Even if there isn't an Elitserien meeting fans probably have another meeting at their local track.

And of course this sort of thing has been going on in Poland as well in the 1st or 2nd league from memory.Probably the 2nd :unsure:

There is a farming agreement for 2009, whereby the Swedish juniors and Swedish riders under 6 points can be used by the Elitserien's partner teams in the Allsvenskan. This means riders like Mikael Max, Thomas H Jonasson, etc, can be used in both divisions, so fans of one team can see their favourite Swedish riders at another track. Don't think any of the Allsvenskan teams have a team in the Elitserien now that Masarna are no more (although I could be wrong - I'm having a really crappy week), but there are some Elit teams who have division one teams, certainly, so more than one team might use a track.