British Speedway Forum
SteveEvans

Billy Hamill Farewell - Wolverhampton 22 March

usa hamill,hancock,king,schwartz,penhall

eng phil collins,les collins,graheme bros,fry,smith,walker

den ravn,handberg,pedersen team manager gundersen

of course its only my fantacy line up but it would be good!!!

Edited by speedy den boy

There is an interview with Billy in today's Sporting Star (the football 'Pink' in the West Midlands) in which he looks forward to his big night and speaks warmly of his affinity with speedway fans, particularly those in the West Midlands where he spent the bulk of his British career.

Having seen all bar two of Wolves' 2006 matches, the year in which he joined, I have to say what an impression he left. Among a number of standout rides I can recall one at Oxford in the cup where he actually went between David Howe and (guesting) Leigh Adams. An extraordinary move, and one greatly appreciated by the gentleman standing just in front of me, wearing a Hamill jacket, who had come up from Bristol just to see his hero.

I just wish I had been following the sport during the Bullet's prime.

I know a lot of people have fond memories of Billy when he rode for Cradley but for me the best ever was when he rode with Greg at Coventry under the Exide sponsorship. Great to see them doing a double wheelie after yet another 5-1 for the Bees.

Didnt they both do that before the chequered flag came down during a race at Dudley Wood one year and one of them came off (think it was Billy) costing them a 5-1 and the Heathens the match, prompting Colin Pratt to ban them doing it before the end of a heat :unsure:

Edited by mervjankefanclub

Didnt they both do that before the chequered flag came down during a race at Dudley Wood one year and one of them came off (think it was Billy) costing them a 5-1 and the Heathens the match, prompting Colin Pratt to ban them doing it before the end of a heat :unsure:

Over to a Cradley fan for this one. :wink:

QUOTE (SteveEvans @ Dec 5 2008, 10:11 PM)

Nope, he is retired from Europe.

QUOTE (Gemini @ Dec 5 2008, 11:36 PM)

Great to hear this news.

:lol::lol:

Naughty SilverBee. :P

Edited by Gemini

yep- Billy suffered a severe case of premature celebratis,& cost us the match!-we quickly forgave him however given the almost routine nature of 5-1 returns when most needed.

Really looking forward to this meeting,& HSSC (Heathens Speedway Supporters Club) will certainly be looking to help Billy promote the event to all Heathens fans throughout the black country, where he feels most at home.

From a rookie (in british speedway terms at least) to world champion,( in our final year at Loomer Rd)-a Cradley legend,-but for once we will ignore local rivalries to join with Coventry fans ,& even supporters from "that lot north of Bilston" to salute a rider that has always entertained & demonstrated an all too rare(particularly looking at this years probable team line-ups) loyalty to British speedway.

:approve:

Billy was awesome for Cradley... Came in on 6:00 to start the year in 1990, was our #1 by the end of it thanks to Janno, Cross & Hancock getting injured, and generally crap guests. he spent much of the year gating like Gjedde with his wheel in the air and 20 yards back from the gate, but it rarely mattered :) the 3 & 4 swoop he mastrerd quickly along with heavy dive up the inside of turn 1.. 1991 he was second heat leader behind Janno, who won the World title that year, about the only season the Dane ever completed fully fit.

We lost Janno early in '92 and he never rode again. Hamill & Hancock kept Cradley alive after that.

Edited by Col

Congratulations Billy

Well deserved celebration of your time in Europe , As well as being a class act on a Bike , A class act when off the Rcae Circuit.

Best Wishes to you and the family.

See you at Uncle Dougs Office .... sometime I hope

Lucky

I think Billy asked for it to be at Wolves, I can't be sure though.

This is correct. Billy loved his two years at Wolves and in fact almost signed in 1997 after Cradley closed. It is also very easy for the green, red and white army to come out of hibernation .

This is correct. Billy loved his two years at Wolves and in fact almost signed in 1997 after Cradley closed. It is also very easy for the green, red and white army to come out of hibernation .

I'm liking the sound of this.

Is there any chance of Billy getting a match race together with our mate Sam?

There are definate plans to have a part of the programme featuring old riders but it if all goes to plan it will be much better than staged match races.

Thanks Steve. It get's better.

I'm hoping this meeting lives up to expectation and certianly mine are high. Billy was a true showman on track and always looked for ways to drag the sport forwards, hopefully this meeting will be the same. I can't wait.

Excellent :)

Wolves v Cradley.. Not many ex-Cradley riders still going. Hancock, Hamill, Fry & Scott 'Scud' Smith the only ones I can think of. Barker retired and although he never rode for us Krister Marsh was a Cradley junior for a time, he's also now retired.

Don't forget Flying Phil is back on a bike.....