British Speedway Forum
SteveEvans

Billy Hamill Farewell - Wolverhampton 22 March

Great to hear this news. Shame it couldn't have been held at Coventry though.

I'm sure you meant to say Dudley Wood.

Wolves v Cradley seems a good shout for this meeting. Fingers crossed anyway.

Hell yeah!!

Wolves v Cradley.. Not many ex-Cradley riders still going. Hancock, Hamill, Fry & Scott 'Scud' Smith the only ones I can think of. Barker retired and although he never rode for us Krister Marsh was a Cradley junior for a time, he's also now retired.

And Bobby in the US. :P

Wolves vs Cradley select would work. Build a Cradley team upto the points limit with Greg and Billy leading it. :approve:.

I know a lot of people have fond memories of Billy when he rode for Cradley but for me the best ever was when he rode with Greg at Coventry under the Exide sponsorship. Great to see them doing a double wheelie after yet another 5-1 for the Bees.

You're getting your memories all mixed up again. That should read 'the Heathens'. :wink:

Having seen all bar two of Wolves' 2006 matches, the year in which he joined, I have to say what an impression he left. Among a number of standout rides I can recall one at Oxford in the cup where he actually went between David Howe and (guesting) Leigh Adams. An extraordinary move, and one greatly appreciated by the gentleman standing just in front of me, wearing a Hamill jacket, who had come up from Bristol just to see his hero.

I just wish I had been following the sport during the Bullet's prime.

One of any number of times he's pulled off such a move (although I didn't see that one).

I do recall a move he put on Doncaster and Clouting (I think) at Dudley Wood in '95(?). He made a terrible start to trail the Witches down the back straight. Donkey was on the outside team riding his young partner into the bottom turn for the first time. There was no room between them. Billy went into the corner about 10mph faster than them, and it was one of those moments when a hush fall over the stadium as everyone waits fir the inevitable huge pile-up. God alone knows how, but Billy found room to make a clean pass inbetween the two as they went around the pits turn to come off turn 4 with a clear lead. There was no hesitation about the move at all. The roar as everyone opened their eyes again was probably one of the biggest of the season. Stunning move.

That's the kind of rider Billy was. One of the greatest out-and-out racers of the modern era, and it was a pleasure to see him ride every week. Sadly, the injuries held him back as he went through the second half of his career. In my opinion (although biased as he's my favourite rider of the modern era), he had at least one more title in him if he had remained injury free.

Didnt they both do that before the chequered flag came down during a race at Dudley Wood one year and one of them came off (think it was Billy) costing them a 5-1 and the Heathens the match, prompting Colin Pratt to ban them doing it before the end of a heat

*nods then shakes head as the memory comes screaming back* :lol:

We lost Janno early in '92 and he never rode again. Hamill & Hancock kept Cradley alive after that.

Especially as it was just after we'd lost Erik and Simon too. Although Simon came back superbly, and had a cracking season in '95.

There are definate plans to have a part of the programme featuring old riders but it if all goes to plan it will be much better than staged match races.

Greg/Billy vs Sam/PK. Now that would be fun.

Don't forget Flying Phil is back on a bike.....

Beat me to it. :lol:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cradley career stats for Billy taken from the Cradley website.

1990 - 6.82

1991 - 9.13

1992 - 8.57

1993 - 8.62

1994 - 8.73

1995 - 10.94

1996 - 10.30

He went on to average over 10 the following year for Belle Vue. He was top of the averages from '95 - '97 when riding three different tracks as his home track. '95 at Dudley Wood, '96 at Loomer Road (for Cradley) and '97 at Kirky Lane. I don't know of another rider that's done that. Any ideas?

He went on to average over 10 the following year for Belle Vue. He was top of the averages from '95 - '97 when riding three different tracks as his home track. '95 at Dudley Wood, '96 at Loomer Road (for Cradley) and '97 at Kirky Lane. I don't know of another rider that's done that. Any ideas?
Adams and must have been close and been in the top 3 when at Oxford, Poole and then Swindon but I think he was only number 1 at Swindon.

I'd love it to be a Cradley vs Wolves meeting. Heard all about them, never experienced it myself.

A properly advertised/promoted meeting between Cradley, led by Greg and Billy, and Wolves would attract a huge crowd. Especially if the Cradley side included a Cov rider or two to help tie in with that side of his career. Perhaps we could track Roynon and Barker at reserve for example?

A lot of Cradley fans have drifted away from the sport though, so it would need to be well advertised in the Black Country. Posters/flyers in pubs and clubs would help. Local newspapers/radio covering the story along with word-of-mouth and I would hope the message would get around.

A properly advertised/promoted meeting between Cradley, led by Greg and Billy, and Wolves would attract a huge crowd. Especially if the Cradley side included a Cov rider or two to help tie in with that side of his career. Perhaps we could track Roynon and Barker at reserve for example?

A lot of Cradley fans have drifted away from the sport though, so it would need to be well advertised in the Black Country. Posters/flyers in pubs and clubs would help. Local newspapers/radio covering the story along with word-of-mouth and I would hope the message would get around.

Maybe a 3 team tournament?

Billy isnt fit enough to ride in the proper meeting, so I think it will just be a individual with a few Wolves V Cradley thrown in with the ex stars

IM A CRADLEY FAN WHO AS BEEN GOING TO THE WOLVES FOR A GOOD FEW YEARS SINCE THE DEMISE OF THE HEATHENS. I STILL DONT KNOW WHETHER TO BOO OR CHEER THE WOLVES BUT A WOLVES V CRADLEY MATCH WOULD BE GREAT.

IM A CRADLEY FAN WHO AS BEEN GOING TO THE WOLVES FOR A GOOD FEW YEARS SINCE THE DEMISE OF THE HEATHENS. I STILL DONT KNOW WHETHER TO BOO OR CHEER THE WOLVES BUT A WOLVES V CRADLEY MATCH WOULD BE GREAT.

This meeting is for you guys!

any chance billy being in the 2009 wolves team!!?

Nope, he is retired from Europe.

:lol:

thats cleared that up thank god :approve:

Naughty SilverBee. :P

funny tho!

This meeting is for you guys!

more for the cradley fans and fans in general of billy hamill i reckon than celebrating his wolves career.

Im sure many will want to turn out for the ocassion.

He is celebrating his career for all teams he has ridden for. The fact he has ridden for three clubs who are arch rivals with each other is irrelevant. The majority of fans at Cradley, Coventry and Wolves hold him very dear as he always was the kind of rider who part his heart and soul into his racing. He rode for me in three races in the US for very little money compared to what he makes in Europe. In these races he put his all into his racing, quiet amazing with the pittance I was paying him!

Like any rider there are people who are not fans of Billy Hamill, but that is the minority I am sure. Cradley fans hold him dear for 7 years of service, culminating in a World title. Coventry fans had him in his prime. Wolves fans were won over despite him being past his prime and a former enemy twice over. Belle Vue and Oxford had a year each too. The response to his meeting on the Wolfcry website shows the majority of Wolves fans are thrilled with efforts for the club and the privilidge of being chosen to hold this event.

We will present a day that fans of all 5 British teams he has ridden for will love. Billy is somewhat unique in that he has ridden for three clubs whose fans will always be at odds. Somehow despite this he has put his all into each team. Fans of all three see him as a speedway legend, as they should. Roll on March. Once he is officially retired I believe there are only 4 riders left in the sport who can say they won the ultimate prize, so the fact it is for a retiring world champion makes it more special.

Edited by SteveEvans

Don't worry Mr Evans, all real Wolves fans appreciate Billys efforts for us and will be there to support his big day!

The place will be packed given the three local teams he rode for, so I'm not worried.

MrBrum is in the minority of Wolves fans when it comes to Billy. Even when we signed him and before a wheel was turned I think 90% of the fans were happy in a Wolfcry survey. Stevebrum was the 1st to carp in 2007 when Billy had a bad night as the career inguries took their toll. That said you can't suggest he's not a real Wolves fan just because his preference does not include this rider, he's there most weeks and often providing text for Wolfcry or the main updates site. I'm sure in a meeting like this his attendence is dependent on the line up, as his loyalties are not with the rider, but the huge influx of Cradley. Coventry and speedway fans in general means that the place will be packed regardless.

Edited by SteveEvans

The place will be packed given the three local teams he rode for, so I'm not worried.

MrBrum is in the minority of Wolves fans when it comes to Billy. Even when we signed him and before a wheel was turned I think 90% of the fans were happy in a Wolfcry survey. Stevebrum was the 1st to carp in 2007 when Billy had a bad night as the career inguries took their toll. That said you can't suggest he's not a real Wolves fan just because his preference does not include this rider, he's there most weeks and often providing text for Wolfcry or the main updates site. I'm sure in a meeting like this his attendence is dependent on the line up, as his loyalties are not with the rider, but the huge influx of Cradley. Coventry and speedway fans in general means that the place will be packed regardless.

I don't really question him being a real fan. He is a real Wolves fan no question. He just sometimes fails to see the hypocresy of his arguments towards those criticising Howe.

Your idea of getting some of the older boys involved in meaningful races sounds fantastic Steve.

Your idea of getting some of the older boys involved in meaningful races sounds fantastic Steve.

I agree with that, we've all seen them had dodgy fiddled races, lets see them show they can still do it :)

Just a lil off the main subject, but I have often wondered why there is not a 'senior tour' in speedway, like in golf. A rider who retires is often hanging it up either because they dont want the rigors of a full season or they are not signed by a team (Les & Neil Collins, Paul Thorp).

Maybe a 12 round touring GP-esque series would go down well with fans? Take in UK and Europe, I'm sure it would be very popular. Because of the small sized tracks riders in American race to much older agaes, and whilst over 40 or 50 riders may not be competitive in European leagues, I am sure they could put on a show against each other.

Steve - To be fair to the UK fans you should really add Belle Vue and Oxford to your signature if you're going to name clubs. Billy was very popular in his short time at those clubs too. I understand the Midlands bias, of course, but it sounds a bit exclusive. :)

Your idea of an OAPs SGP is fantastic by the way. I saw Big Al race Andy at B'ham recently. He was clearly the better and had to work hard to throw a race. It would be great to see him go flat out against Phil Collins, for example. :lol::approve:

Steve - To be fair to the UK fans you should really add Belle Vue and Oxford to your signature if you're going to name clubs. Billy was very popular in his short time at those clubs too. I understand the Midlands bias, of course, but it sounds a bit exclusive. :)

Your idea of an OAPs SGP is fantastic by the way. I saw Big Al race Andy at B'ham recently. He was clearly the better and had to work hard to throw a race. It would be great to see him go flat out against Phil Collins, for example. :lol::approve:

I agree 21CH. Anyone at Wolves 80th last year would have seen that Sam and Ronnie can still race at a good pace.

Barry Briggs used to run such meetings some years ago, late 80's, early 90's I think. Golden Greats meetings. I didn't actually attend one so not sure how competitive they were.