British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Mrs. Dorothy Charles-batson

I was flipping thru' some old 1960's black and white "Speedway Stars", a frequent correspondent(reader's letters) seemed to be this lady-chairwoman of Wimbledon supporters club.?? her letters struck me as very literate-actually the whole magazine was a lot more literate than today's publication!!Anyone ever meet, know or recall Mrs.C-B-in my imagination she seems like a Mary Whitehouse character-reminded me of the days when clubs had big supporters clubs.Anyone recall her-or know if she is still alive??

I was flipping thru' some old 1960's black and white "Speedway Stars", a frequent correspondent(reader's letters) seemed to be this lady-chairwoman of Wimbledon supporters club.?? her letters struck me as very literate-actually the whole magazine was a lot more literate than today's publication!!Anyone ever meet, know or recall Mrs.C-B-in my imagination she seems like a Mary Whitehouse character-reminded me of the days when clubs had big supporters clubs.Anyone recall her-or know if she is still alive??

i certainly knew of her as she was a great supporter of Wimbledon speedway and a benefactor of many of the riders. I have a feeling that she passed away some years ago. iiwill look through my records and see what I can find. she was as you say a character out of the mold of what one would expect a speedway supporter to be, and indeed was a very dignified and articulate person.

Tony

Tony, thanx for that-would be interested in any other info.There were some wonderful characters around then weren't there-good for her-by the way -glad I brought some Speedway Stars with me when I emigrated.

Some ditties ......

AFTER THE MEETING: A trip to the posh Plough Lane Bar, a chat with Mrs Batson (an elderly stateswoman character who used to sponsor various events - and riders) and then excitedly listening for the familiar clip-clop of the riders' clogs (popular footwear craze amongst riders in the 70s) as they made their way to the bar. Some happy autograph hunting and then alas the 220 'bus home.

That would be Dorothy Charles-Batson, who used to have letters published in Speedway Star.

I think she died in Merton in 1987.

Yes, that's right Ian. I had heard that Mrs. B had sadly died some years ago. What a character she was. She used to host an annual dinner and dance for the riders and supporters (think this was at The Fox and Hounds, Wimbledon?) and woe betide any rider who didn't turn up! They always did, though. She also used to arrange Ronnie Moore's trips "home" to Wimbledon. She must have spent a small fortune over the years supporting Wimbledon Speedway and commanded a great deal of respect amongst supporters, riders and the Wimbledon management.

Yes I remember Mrs Batson. A terrific Wimbledon fan. And wasn't her husband involved in midget car racing along with Percy Brine at some time in the late 1950s - believe they tested the car at Aldershot and also tried to match it against the more powerful Skirrows.

Sadly they don't seem to have fans like Mrs Batson these days.

No disrespect meant,because i know she was a great Dons fan,but whenever i hear the name i always imagine one of those funny mags from the 70s called Spank or something."And here we have some foto's from the lovely Mrs Dorothy Charles-Batson from Withrington on Thames showing off her new rubber corset..."Obviously says more about me than anything.And no offence meant Mrs C-B :rolleyes:

She died at the beginning of 1987 at the age of 77 (b 2 Nov 1909)

This is a very good thread as I believe that the survival of speedway in the sixties and seventies was due to the work of dedicated backroom prople like Dorothy and they have largely gone unrecognised by reaerchers and historians. Threads like this can address that those gaps in speedway history.

Dorothy was actually born in Shropshire 2/11/1909. she married at Morden Surrey 24/3/1949 and passed away 22 Jan 1987 at Merton. It is ironic that this was the time that the Dons dropped down from the British league into the National league so it was the end of an era in more ways than one

Tony

No disrespect meant,because i know he is a great Dons fan,but whenever i hear the name iris123 I always imagine ... :rolleyes:

The rest of this post has been deleted on grounds of good taste.

This has really changed the way I think about you Doug :shock::wink:

The rest of this post has been deleted on grounds of good taste.

This has really changed the way I think about you Doug :shock::wink:

:rolleyes:

Sorry Arnie.....but the fact that the riders dare not turn up to her parties only reinforces the image i have of her :oops:

I blame my Dad though.He worked in the Board Mills and used to rumage through the bales before they were pulped.So had a large collection of strange magazines B)

Bob,

I was given some 1967 Speedway Stars this week and there is an article about Dorothy.

Apparently she petitioned the Australian speedway authorities to get recognition for Garry Middleton in the Australian test team.

To have a lady like DCB go into bat for an Aussie character like Garry is remarkable, he must have been impressed.

still searching for more about this incredible lady.

Tony

Thanx Tony I will be interested in anything you find out as will others I am sure.

Are you thinking of Elsa May Smith??

Elsa May Smith was a very keen supporter of Rye House and I think also ran a fan club for Eric Hockaday.

Elsa May Smith was a very keen supporter of Rye House and I think also ran a fan club for Eric Hockaday.

Another dedicated speedway identity was Ernie Hancock, who passed away after a long illness a couple of years back. Ernie had a theatrical agency and i think he was behind the speedway resuts on Tel Tex. at one time he promoted at Rye House

We owe a great debt to these dedicated volunteers who barely get a mention when histories are compiled. It is also to be remembered that these guys did not have the advantages of emails, mobile phones pc's and digital cameras

Tony.

• Like 1