British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Mrs. Dorothy Charles-batson

Yes I was thinking of Elsa May Smith. I obtained some of her stuff from a shop in Norwich a few years ago & Mike Kemp also obtained some as well, especially about Eric Hockaday, Speedway does owe much to the "unpaid" voluntary workers whho are involved. Even unpaid riders from some accounts nowadays it seems.

Ernie Hancock led the way with the teletex system and before him Barney Bamford got Midland tracks some airtime with results and match commentary on the "Midland Home Service" in its day. We used to pick it up here in Norwich on our old wireless, belated thanks Barney if you are still with us

Is Eric Hockaday still with us?? Wasn't Eric in the first ever BL race in 1965 for CH v Coventry????????I also agree with Tony re Ernie Hancock and others-great people.

Mrs D C-B also was a Cycle Speedway supporter / sponsor as shown. The trophy is currently being restored. 

E51C238C-AC1B-4525-9B2D-7C594FAE18F3.jpeg

• Like 3

Think she was more than a supporter and sponsor. Sure she was President of South London Rangers C.S.C

Dorothy B was also a massive Ronnie Moore fan. I own a couple of Wimbledon race jackets that came from her collection. Reg Luckhurst's 1974 Dons Jacket and a muti signed Wimbledon jacket from 1975.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2008 at 12:41 PM, Pints Or Points ? said:

Yes I remember Mrs Batson. A terrific Wimbledon fan. And wasn't her husband involved in midget car racing along with Percy Brine at some time in the late 1950s - believe they tested the car at Aldershot and also tried to match it against the more powerful Skirrows.

Sadly they don't seem to have fans like Mrs Batson these days.

The car her husband was involved in to some extent was up for auction last year. Some nice pics of the restored car. Seem to have got the two Ronnie's mixed up though

https://www.coys.co.uk/cars/1955-allard-atom-speedway-racer

It has been such a long time but Mrs B come into my head tonight and I had to google, which brought me here. Remember after the meetings, up in the bar, talking to to Mrs B. I remember looking up to this wonderfully spoken woman. she gave me some advice and let me know that I was one of her boys. Made me feel that I was someone. Fond memorys.

Edited by Moggo