British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

British Gp Starts 5pm

Great move to start early. I can get home now and no need to book an expensive / over priced / rip off hotel room.

Touch and go then.

More go than touch I reckon. :lol: Did we not leave the stadium this year until getting on for 11pm?

Doing the maths (and I can just about manage this sum) that makes it 9pm for a 5pm start. Of course there is always the option of missing the presentations and fireworks. :neutral:

Makes it more awkward for those having to travel any great distance as now instead of a hotel on the Saturday night, they need to have one on the Friday night instead!

Just done some google mapping and got the following:

Newcastle.........5hrs 26mins

Scunny.............4hr 55mins

Norwich............4hrs 41mins

Kings Lynn ........4hrs 23 mins

Ipswich.............4hrs 13mins (Sue's place!! :lol: )

Ramsgate.........4hrs 12mins

Penzance..........3hrs 56mins

Manchester.......3hrs 28mins

Whilst I appreciate the need for proper rest breaks I cant see it being an overly early start for any of the above.

If you factor in things like going to the pub and meeting up then it changes but people have to decide what they want to get out of the day.

Obviously those living North have (and always did have) to make chouces as it will be a very long day if they consider doing it in a day.

But overall it still looks do-able.

And those on trains need planning more closely.

Taken from - http://www.speedwayworld.tv/en/latest/

BSI Speedway, rights holders of the FIM Speedway Grand Prix Series, can today confirm the 2009 FIM British Speedway Grand Prix will start at the new time of 1700H (5pm) local time, at Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium on 27 June 2009.

“We are now coming into our ninth consecutive year at the Millennium Stadium and in a way the FIM British Speedway Grand Prix has been a victim of its own success. As the popularity of the event has grown it has been increasingly difficult to accommodate all the fans wishing to stay in Cardiff on the Saturday night.” explains Paul Bellamy, managing director, BSI Speedway.

“By moving the start time to five pm it allows supporters the option of either staying in the city overnight or returning home on the same day as the event.”

The 2009 FIM British Speedway Grand Prix will be the fifth event of the 11 round individual world championship FIM Speedway Grand Prix Series. Fans who book their tickets before 31 December 2008 will be able to purchase them at 2008 prices. Tickets are available by calling 0871 230 7155 or via www.speedwayworld.tv

So are they listening to the fans are are sales of tickets so low they need to do something fast??

Hmm- cynical thinking or are they doing good by the fans - you decide!!! :unsure:

Bit of both I think, I dont think the sales of tickets has gone very well going on the fact they keep extending the cheap ticket deadline, but clearly the hotel trade havent helped by doubling the prices, a point not lost on BSI apparently.

Good idea, more time for post speedway drinking :)

Makes it more awkward for those having to travel any great distance as now instead of a hotel on the Saturday night, they need to have one on the Friday night instead!

On our normal GP trip to Cardiff, we would only be arriving at 3.30 - 4pm and that was with leaving earlyish in the morning...mind you, we had already booked for Friday as well as Saturday for next year anyway as we had become sick and tired of rushing about trying to see everyone before the GP started or worrying about any traffic hold ups along the way.

You're never going to please everybody Sue . We always turn it into a weekend anyway to take in the Pairs and a meeting on the way home on the Sunday .

Just done some google mapping and got the following:

Newcastle.........5hrs 26mins

Scunny.............4hr 55mins

Norwich............4hrs 41mins

Kings Lynn ........4hrs 23 mins

Ipswich.............4hrs 13mins (Sue's place!! :lol: )

Ramsgate.........4hrs 12mins

Manchester.......3hrs 28mins

Whilst I appreciate the need for proper rest breaks I cant see it being an overly early start for any of the above.

If you factor in things like going to the pub and meeting up then it changes but people have to decide what they want to get out of the day.

Obviously those living North have (and always did have) to make chouces as it will be a very long day if they consider doing it in a day.

But overall it still looks do-able.

And those on trains need planning more closely.

You forgot Glasgow dear .

Would be a good chance to get our own back on the Hotels which have ripped us all off the past 8 years. Those who are now planning to do a day trip and got hotels booked, do not cancel them until the day before and make them earn the money trying to fill them. This may sound selfish but they have ripped off the speedway public to long.

Would be a good chance to get our own back on the Hotels which have ripped us all off the past 8 years. Those who are now planning to do a day trip and got hotels booked, do not cancel them until the day before and make them earn the money trying to fill them. This may sound selfish but they have ripped off the speedway public to long.

That's the good part about this . Those hotels who keep jacking up the price year after year can now go swivel . :approve:

You need to add on a bit more for my place Sandie...I don't live in Ippo but a further 20 - 30 mins down the road!

On paper it looks nice and easy but in practice with the A12 and M25, it is not quite so easy, we left at 7.30 last year but didn't arrive at the hotel on the outskirts of Cardiff until nearly 3pm due to problems on the M25. The year before, I left at 9.30 am but didn't arrive in Cardiff until nearly 5pm, problems near Swindon (took me 2 hours to move 3 miles) this time plus the normal problems on the M25.

Before that we went by coach and that always left at around the 9.30 - 10 am window but our arrival times was 3.30, 4pm and 4.30.

Strangely, coming home we always manage to do it in about 5 to 5 and a half hours.

Edit - Not that it bothers me about the time change for next year, I have booked to stay Friday anyway and will look forward to more drinking hours afterwards!

Edited by crazysue

You forgot Glasgow dear .
Thats what I meant by NORTH. Whatever the time of the meeting the Sots will always be disadvantaged!!!

You need to add on a bit more for my place Sandie...I don't live in Ippo but a further 20 - 30 mins down the road!

I did Sue - I used your address!!! :lol::wink::lol:

Spot on Actros 70 you are no more selfish than the hotels have been with us what would be even better would to be not get your tickets till the day of the GP then also BSI/IMG might also get an even bigger wake up call and realise which side there bread is buttered but the majority of people wouldnt have the balls to do that

You've obviously not tried to go between taunton and bristol from this end recently then :lol:

You've obviously not tried to go between taunton and bristol from this end recently then :lol:

I know they are all 'given the perfect journey' - But the point being, even if you left home at 8am you would still be there in plenty of time for a 5pm start. ;):)

However - what about all those unfortunate kids who have Saturday jobs (and weekend workers etc) and were planning on coming home after work to watch the meeting on TV - not good for them! :(

Edited by Sandie

My postcode to Cardiff Castle is 4 hours 36 mins according to the AA plus a stop would need to be countered into it as well so a minimum journey of 5 to 5 and a half hours if the roads were clear which is just about what we manage to do on the way home more often than not (although last year it took us closer to 7 hours! Just checked with the driver) but never on the way there.

It is also the reason why we decided to stay the Friday night next year as it is incredibly stressful being stuck in a traffic jam when the start time is getting ever closer and you still need to book into the hotel or meet up with people. We wanted a nice relaxed day instead of the normal eeekkkk rush around one.