British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Favorite Speedway Pubs

I was trying to recall pubs I went to when I visited speedway tracks. Firstly of course I recall The Pavilion-next to Long Eaton stadium-I particularly recall a meeting in either 1966 or 1967(think the latter) when Sheffield were the visitors.The meeting was delayed -anyway I remember a number of Sheffield riders in there- Bob Paulson looking glum in a suit I think he was injured and not riding.. Then Cradley-there was a pub on a slight hill it seemed to me-within walking distance of the stadium for sure.Many CH fans who always made everyone welcome-that is why CH was my favourite away track.Leicester- in front(p'raps Parker Road) there was a pub where I had a pint before the stadium opened for the night-this was 1968-anyone know the name of that pub??Also the Duke of Nottingham(?)-am I right? on Nottingham street (?) just in front of WH stadium. And what about Swindon-was the Blunsdon House Hotel always there-in the early 70's I came over from Canada and had a pint there-but not many speedway supporters.Anybody else in forumland have any memories of pubs near speedway trax?????????????

Got to be either

The Torch at Wembley on World Final night

or

the pub across the carpark at Wimbledon Stadium on Internationale day

Happy memories!

Got to be either

The Torch at Wembley on World Final night

or

the pub across the carpark at Wimbledon Stadium on Internationale day

Happy memories!

I think the Wimbledon pub was the Plough and it was also a great place on NLRC days. Packed out with Weymouth and Middlesbrough supporters before the meeting every year.

Jennison's Ale House, Hyde Road. Near the main entrance to the Belle Vue entertainment complex.

the Gunners pub opposite Ellesmere Port's Thornton Rd stadium.

I went there in 1985 and it was certainly the best speedway pub I have ever been to before or since. Body colours, photographs and memorabilia everywhere and a huge painting of Ivan Mauger on the wall.

When I went back a few years later everything had gone :(

I was trying to recall pubs I went to when I visited speedway tracks. Firstly of course I recall The Pavilion-next to Long Eaton stadium...

I'm more into Fish and Chip shops. :lol: There was a brilliant one near the Long Eaton Stadium; best fish and chips I've ever had and there was always a queue of speedway fans after the meeting.

I wonder if The Pavilion is still there?

Leicester- in front(p'raps Parker Road) there was a pub where I had a pint before the stadium opened for the night-this was 1968-anyone know the name of that pub??

As I've already said I don't really know much about pubs but the only one I can think of near the Leicester Stadium would be The Blackbird on the main road. Probably not the one you are thinking of though. :unsure:

Gemini I sure do recall the Long Eaton Fish and Chip shop-great fish and chips, can taste 'em now.-The Pavilion was mentioned in another thread-I think someone said its gone now. The pub near the stadium in Leicester was not on the main road-you walked up a hill and it was a road or so below the stadium entrance.

The pub near the stadium in Leicester was not on the main road-you walked up a hill and it was a road or so below the stadium entrance.

John O'Gaunt?

Very funny RTG-however-The John O'Gaunt is it I reckon-ta much Midland Red-is it still there or did it get knocked down when the area was redeveloped?? Also can anyone recall the pub near CH I mentioned-went there twice-in 64 after Newport won the PL Cup in a super 2nd leg at CH which we lost by about 18 pts(but had won the first leg by about 20)-it was a great and raucous evening-again the CH fans were wonderful even tho' they lost the Cup.

The John O'Gaunt is it I reckon-ta much Midland Red-is it still there or did it get knocked down when the area was redeveloped??

Just checked and it's not in the telephone book so who knows? But then neither is The Blackbird and that's definitely still there as we went by it going to the stadium last Sunday....unless it's changed it's name of course. :wink:

Gemini-not me re the badge but why would you be going by the stadium last Sunday-I thought it had been knocked down-assume you mean the stadium site-have a beer for me sometime at the Blackbird.!!!!!!!!!!!

Just checked and it's not in the telephone book so who knows? But then neither is The Blackbird and that's definitely still there as we went by it going to the stadium last Sunday....unless it's changed it's name of course. :wink:

Still there!

http://www.yell.com/listings/DoFindListing...'Gaunt/Pubs

Mill House = Canterbury :approve:

Never took any notice of the name but the one at Rye House had wicked dance floor it lit up when you stood on it lol