British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Favorite Speedway Pubs

Mill House = Canterbury :approve:

Never took any notice of the name but the one at Rye House had wicked dance floor it lit up when you stood on it lol

YOU???? In a pub Shazzy????? Surely not?!!!!! :shock::wink:

YOU???? In a pub Shazzy????? Surely not?!!!!! :shock::wink:

Bryn Canterbury closed in 1987 I was last in the Mill House ermmmmm ermmmmmm ermmmmmm 3 weeks ago lol

Bryn Canterbury closed in 1987 I was last in the Mill House ermmmmm ermmmmmm ermmmmmm 3 weeks ago lol

Tut! Tut! You never caught ME in a pub after matches at Canterbury Shazzy - I didn't have time!!!! For a long time I was one DJ in a mobile disco us four mates used to run called Mr. Toad's Music Show - NO I wasn't Mr. Toad!!!!! As - don't laugh - "The Welsh Wizzard," with Canterbury finishing soon after 8.30, I used to get the ex-missus mainly to run us down to Kingsmead and we'd watch the Saturday meeting.

We'd then dash across to the Kempton Manor Hotel as it was then called on the A20 at Hothfield near Ashford, me changing into 'decent' gear including a dickybow tie en route whilst she drove our Morris Oxford at breakneck speed (OK as fast as it would flipping well go!) whilst I was so doing, so I could then do the disco for the good folk at the Kempton each Saturday who had enjoyed a meal in the Carvery Restaurant Bill & Jean, who had bought the place, had established.

I'd have a beer when we got there!!! To explain, that became a "regular" Saturday night gig, other nights as well, so I volunteered to do it more often than not during the speedway season and we used our "small gear" (Our first ever set of disco gear) for that and our "big gear" (that which we subsequently got the great folk at Newham Audio to build) for other gigs i.e. dance halls, weddings, birthday parties, speedway supporters club dances etc etc., that, if I was at the Kempton, either one of the two others who DJ'd, Mr. Toad himself (John who was short in stature and similarly arms and legs, chubby bodied if you get my drift earning him his "Mr. Toad" nickname and "Smoothy Groovy Gorgeous Geoffrey" - Don't blame ME for the names!) would do the other gig - happy memories indeed. :lol:

why would you be going by the stadium last Sunday-I thought it had been knocked down-assume you mean the stadium site-have a beer for me sometime at the Blackbird.!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I did mean the stadium site. :sad: I went to take some photos of what is on the land now because I've never been back before. (I think you've already looked at the photos on my Leicester Speedway album.)

I never go in pubs - only churches Gems. :rolleyes::D

Can remember 'The Plough' was it? After the meetings at Wimbledon on a Monday night. Mind you due to my very young age it was only for a soft drink though. Surprisingly, I never went into 'churches' proper until I was well into my 30's. :approve:

Edited by Jim Blanchard

I never go in pubs - only churches Gems. :rolleyes::D

Can remember 'The Plough' was it? After the meetings at Wimbledon on a Monday night. Mind you due to my very young age it was only for a soft drink though. Surprisingly, I never went into 'churches' proper until I was well into my 30's. :approve:

the plough was the pub opposite the main entrance. it was closed down a few years ago.

The pub near the stadium in Leicester was not on the main road-you walked up a hill and it was a road or so below the stadium entrance.

Was that the one that was Ken Mac's local? Had a few late nights in there! Remember one rain off,: Didn't get home 'til four in the morning! :shock::lol:

... our "big gear" (that which we subsequently got the great folk at Newham Audio to build)

How extraordinary Bryn. I was a mobile DJ in the 60s and 70s and bought all my equipment from Newham Audio. We might have been picking up new equipment at the same time ?

Re yesterdaysman comment on Leicester pub-John O'Gaunt-don't know about it being Ken Mac's pub-I went there only in 68 -long after Ken's time there.Glad the post brought back hopefully some memories tho.

That's exactly the time I was there Bob! Ken still lived in Leicester at that time and had a workshop there. I haven't a clue if it was the same pub but thought perhaps someone local might throw some light on it. :unsure:

I think Ken lived in Aylestone when he was riding and then moved to Narborough. Both are a few miles from the stadium so I wouldn't have thought The John 0'Gaunt was his local pub. Plenty of others in his area to choose from though. :wink:

The Corner Pin at Wimbledon.

I think the Wimbledon pub was the Plough and it was also a great place on NLRC days. Packed out with Weymouth and Middlesbrough supporters before the meeting every year.

Yep but shhhh i was not supposed to drink NLRC they were great nights.

How extraordinary Bryn. I was a mobile DJ in the 60s and 70s and bought all my equipment from Newham Audio. We might have been picking up new equipment at the same time ?

We may well have David! :wink:

The best one was at Ellesmere Port, right opposite the stadium, it was all done out in the speedway colours too.