British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Mystery Men Retro Photos

wimbledon (1) is doug white of kings lynn when their colours were green with a yellow star.

wolves(1) 71-1 johannes fransden?

wimbledon (1) is doug white of kings lynn when their colours were green with a yellow star.

wolves(1) 71-1 johannes fransden?

Tracy

(This is an edited reply - as I initiallly claimed Doug White hadn't ridden for the Stars - silly me forgot all about him)

Do you mean Wimbledon Junior -1 on the last page ?

Doug White rode for Lynn in 1967 - 24 rides in all.

That rider is definitely wearing a Dons body colour and the photo is listed as 1976. The 1976 Stars body colour had Kings Lynn printed on it - with a total of 5 stars - check the teams gallery page on the Retro site.

Edited by Star in Exile

Tracy

(This is an edited reply - as I initiallly claimed Doug White hadn't ridden for the Stars - silly me forgot all about him)

Do you mean Wimbledon Junior -1 on the last page ?

Doug White rode for Lynn in 1967 - 24 rides in all.

That rider is definitely wearing a Dons body colour and the photo is listed as 1976. The 1976 Stars body colour had Kings Lynn printed on it - with a total of 5 stars - check the teams gallery page on the Retro site.

been moved to kings lynn section page 7.

I may be late in this posting. however.......

no.2 Johnny Chamberlain 1959

no 5 Ipswich Frank Hayes Australia 1961

no.3 Rayleigh Pat McKenzie

no 7 unknown Gordon McGregor

Tony

Just to say thanks again to all for your continued efforts. It's good to put names to these men, so that they receive the recognition they deserve.

There is (inevitably) conflicting opinion on some photos.

We seem to have hit a brick wall on many of them, though. Can't believe the Norwich boys don't recognise at least one or two of these former 'Stars' in the Mystery Men section! And where are you experts from Reading, Canterbury and Cradley?

Sorry, but I can't agree that Cradley (5) 72-2 is Roy Trigg. This pic was taken at Reading in the 1972 season and it would therefore point to one of the following: Ian Ross, Bengt Andersson, Dave Murray or Gerald Smitherman. The Cradley pics 6 & 7 were also taken at the same meeting at Tilehurst.

Cradley (4) was taken in 1971, also at Reading. Possible contenders include: Mike Holmes, Richard Eslick, Laurie Sims, Cyril Francis, Andrew Bearne and Ralph Waller. Some rare names there!

Canterbury possibles from the pics taken in 1968 include: Pat Flanaghan, Charlie Coleman, Pat Adaway & Chris Raines. Any ideas?

If anyone fancies another crack at it, here's the link:

http://www.retro-speedway.com/

Cheers,

TMc

PS - If you visit the Gallery section again, you'll see that we have now added dedicated sections for New Cross, Harringay, Southampton & Norwich. Other former tracks (inc Cardiff & Odsal) will be added in due course.

Edited by tmc

More info from Poole press officer,Gordon Day.

Poole 5

Further to the recent mystery riders request, I’ve had a long look at the individual meetings held at Poole during the times that Bill Andrews and Norman Strachan were with the club and have come up with the following which I think might just be along the right tracks.

I reckon it’s the FIM World Championship qualifier held at Poole on 16 June 1965. Heat 7 of that meeting had Colin Pratt off of Gate 1, Strachan off of Gate 2, Gate 3 was Bill Andrew, with Colin Gooddy coming off of Gate 4.If we are right ( and I say we coz I wouldn’t have got Pratty on Gate 1, then please post it on the BSF.

Cheers.

The Oxford man on the inside is wearing the gold sash race jacket which was last seen in 1963

Look closely,very closely.Underneath the handlebar,of the inside rider,you can make out the difference between the Red and Blue quarters of Hackney.

It is very definitely Colin Pratt,Hackney.

Look closely,very closely.Underneath the handlebar,of the inside rider,you can make out the difference between the Red and Blue quarters of Hackney.

It is very definitely Colin Pratt,Hackney.

Very sorry Bob I didn't read your post properly - Pratt, you're right I'm sure.

Edited by miro

How did we not recognise him...New Cross (1)....engine manufacturer and top grass/long-tracker Don Godden in his youth!

Thanks to Graham Brodie for that one.

Tony, as of today, there are still a few "unknown" riders on the site who have been positively identified, so you may want to check back through some of the recent posts here. Anyway, I have a couple of other answers for you:

Southampton (1) is Ron Webb

Swede at Wembley (2) is Bernt Nilsson.

Steve

OK, you knowledgeable types...Can we please have your help in identifying pictures of 'Mystery Men' (and women!) on our Retro Speedway website?

We now have more than 200 old photos of former riders, promoters, officials, etc (with hundreds more still to upload), that need to be correctly identified before we can place them in the appropriate club section of the site, so your help would be much appreciated.

Pleae either reply on this forum or, if you'd prefer, email me at editorial@retro-speedway.com. It would be nice to confine all responses to this thread, though, so that others can share in this voyage of discovery! Some of the faces will seem very familiar to you. Where we know the year in which the photo was taken, it has been added to the end of file name, so that may help.

Even if you don't manage to put a name to many faces, just browsing through all of these lovely old pics should prove a pleasure and hopefully bring back happy memories.

By the way, we've also uploaded more early 70s pics to the club pages of the Gallery in the last few days, so you may also want to check those out...

Here's the link to the Mystery Men section:

http://www.retro-speedway.com/extras/autog...autogallery.php

Many thanks for your help.

Tony Mac

Ipswich vs Exeter Unknown - That's Peter Moore and Les McGillivary for Ipswich and the Exeter rider is in fact a Swindon Robin.Coventry 2 on P 1 is I think, Jack Young. Open to discussion on that one!

Tony,In the 72 Cradley picture Roy Trigg is definitely the guy standing on the left

The "Unknown, looks like a German" is Manfred Poschenrieder, decorated with the winner's laurels in a late 1960's (guess, or very early 70's) meeting at Kempten (the visible writing on the ribbon is "Kempten/Allgau").

Ipswich vs Exeter Unknown - That's Peter Moore and Les McGillivary for Ipswich and the Exeter rider is in fact a Swindon Robin.Coventry 2 on P 1 is I think, Jack Young. Open to discussion on that one!

I agree with Moore and McGillivray, and the Swindon rider looks like it could be Ian Williams.

If anyone wants to have another look, I'm wondering if Wimbledon (1) is Gil Goldfinch?

Steve

Edited by chunky

Tony,In the 72 Cradley picture Roy Trigg is definitely the guy standing on the left

Bob, whcih pic are you referring to? In the 'Mystery Men' section?

I'm convinced that none of the three Cradley riders now pictured in action in our Mystery gallery are Triggy.

Ignoring Persson, Trigg and Squibb (who I feel sure are not among those pictured), here are the other riders who DID appear for Cradley in the 1972 season, so we can narrow it down to three of them. Btw, all three of the 1972 photos were taken at Reading, if that helps to narrow it down even further:

John Hart

Pete Jarman

Bob Andrews

Mick Handley

Bengt Andersson

Ian Ross

Dave Perks

Dave Harvey

Gerald Smitherman

Cheers,

Tony Mac

PS - Thanks to all for continued help on these and other images. I'll update the site again the next chance I get, as there are so many thousands more images to be added.