British Speedway Forum
paul84

The 2009 Premier League Riders' Championship

And your point is?

The meeting wasn't at any other track in the league it was at Sheffield, so back to the nub of my previous comment:

Anything other than "Many congratulations Ricky" is just plain bad manners and bad sportsmanship.

No, it's not bad manners and bad sportsmanship, it's called a discussion on the merits and drawbacks of using a track with a proven home advantage to stage the most prestigious individual event in the Premier League! Yes, Ricky did well to win, there can be no doubt that on that track, on that day, he was the best rider. Unfortunatly, due to it being his home track, there will always be people questioning if he could have repeated it on any other track in the league!

Who is the lowest averaged rider to ever win a P.L.R.C just out of interest.

Edited by wjm

No, it's not bad manners and bad sportsmanship, it's called a discussion on the merits and drawbacks of using a track with a proven home advantage to stage the most prestigious individual event in the Premier League! Yes, Ricky did well to win, there can be no doubt that on that track, on that day, he was the best rider. Unfortunatly, due to it being his home track, there will always be people questioning if he could have repeated it on any other track in the league!

You have actually summed up why the whole debate is pointless because "on that track, on that day, he was the best rider". There was no requirement for him to win anything at any other track, therefore he deserves to be fully and unconditionally praised for the win. Some people seem unable to do this, that is bad manners and bad sportsmanship. The fact that Sheffield is his home track is irrelevant to the merits of his success.

The debate about neutral tracks is a separate issue.

As for the quote from Darcy Ward, "If I’d have made the start in the final I would have smoked him.” Does he really mean, "Ricky Ashworth didn't bottle it, gated far better than I did in the final and is a fully deserved winner"?

As to a track having a "proven home advantage", what the hell does that mean? I'm sure many of the Sheffield supporters would have liked proof of this so called advantage over the last few weeks.

I really cannot abide bad sports and sour grapes.

You have actually summed up why the whole debate is pointless because "on that track, on that day, he was the best rider". There was no requirement for him to win anything at any other track, therefore he deserves to be fully and unconditionally praised for the win. Some people seem unable to do this, that is bad manners and bad sportsmanship. The fact that Sheffield is his home track is irrelevant to the merits of his success.

The debate about neutral tracks is a separate issue.

As for the quote from Darcy Ward, "If I’d have made the start in the final I would have smoked him.” Does he really mean, "Ricky Ashworth didn't bottle it, gated far better than I did in the final and is a fully deserved winner"?

As to a track having a "proven home advantage", what the hell does that mean? I'm sure many of the Sheffield supporters would have liked proof of this so called advantage over the last few weeks.

I really cannot abide bad sports and sour grapes.

Over the last few weeks Sheffield have been ravaged by injury and terrible riding. Ricky was a prime example in the defeat to Edinburgh, destroying the tapes, falling and being off the pace bar a single race win.

As for proven home advantage, you only need to look back thru the seasons, even when Sheffield have had an average team, they have generally gone unbeaten at home (This season aside as Redcar seemed to build a team that was Sheffield rejects!)

can someone explain exactly what advantage ricky had in that meeting,if for example you deducted 2 points for being his home track he would still be in the final,but does he not always carry a handicap on himself by weighing 12st with a height of 6ft,how many motorcycle riders do you know of whether its speedway ,moto gp ,super bikes are handicapped with this.

Over the last few weeks Sheffield have been ravaged by injury and terrible riding. Ricky was a prime example in the defeat to Edinburgh, destroying the tapes, falling and being off the pace bar a single race win.

As for proven home advantage, you only need to look back thru the seasons, even when Sheffield have had an average team, they have generally gone unbeaten at home (This season aside as Redcar seemed to build a team that was Sheffield rejects!)

when did we go unbeaten at home with an average team, this season?, and your statement about ashworth in the edinboro match does not prove your point at all

Woah what? let's get it right - Co Promoter actually :rolleyes:
We can work out 1 of two things from this. 1. Silver Bee is physic and can hear the Co Promoters thoughts or 2. It was the announcer.

Are you suggesting that as he is co-promoter he is not the announcer? :unsure:

David Hoggart in his job bas the announcer told us many times Ricky was in his first PLRC and had no pressure on him. (for the record, 8 of the riders were in their first PLRC)

when did we go unbeaten at home with an average team, this season?, and your statement about ashworth in the edinboro match does not prove your point at all

Are you suggesting Sheffield have no home track advantage? :lol: If you work out how much more each team scored at home last season compared to away meeting, Sheffield were 39% better at home, that made them 4th highest in the league behind Rye House, Berwick and the IoW. Not sure where they stand this season.

Edited by SCB

We can work out 1 of two things from this. 1. Silver Bee is physic and can hear the Co Promoters thoughts or 2. It was the announcer.

David Hoggart in his job bas the announcer told us many times Ricky was in his first PLRC and had no pressure on him. (for the record, 8 of the riders were in their first PLRC)

Are you suggesting Sheffield have no home track advantage? :lol: If you work out how much more each team scored at home last season compared to away meeting, Sheffield were 39% better at home, that made them 4th highest in the league behind Rye House, Berwick and the IoW. Not sure where they stand this season.

and if i could be bothered iam sure that using the statistics in another way and taking into account weather, injuries and exclusions during matches, strngth of sheffield and the opposition in matches etc etc etc i could prove differently

Don't need to be physic, just need to read the programme :wink:

I have a solution to this problem - WHEREVER the PLRC is held, DON'T LET THE HOME RIDER TAKE PART IN THE EVENT - PROBLEM SOLVED :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done Ricky Ashworth! Fastest man in British speedway and king of the premier league. Thats a fantastic achievement for someone who is not a very good speedway rider. Just think what you could win if you was a good speedway rider. A huge well done Ricky mate. Ricky Ashworth plr champion.

If that's true then Ward and Proctor have gone way down in my estimations and are very sore losers and as bad as some of the posters on here.

And future World Champs possibly. Oh the arrogance of the successful. Lets see how much Ashworth achieves in comparison.

Unless the meeting is held at Sheffield of course! :lol: