British Speedway Forum
Rebel 77

White City Rebels 1976 - 1978

Did White City finish in 1978? If so that must be the year I went and I think it must have been an international meeting.

The League side finished in 1978 but the venue carried on staging big open and international events until 1982. The last Speedway meeting there was the Embassy Open (a World Final equivalent meeting won by Dennis Sigalos)

the longest running double headers ever staged ...

You seriously obviously never went to a Sittingbourne double header!!!!! :wink:

I'll find the programme out, me .............. hoarder .................... yep!

The League side finished in 1978 but the venue carried on staging big open and international events until 1982. The last Speedway meeting there was the Embassy Open (a World Final equivalent meeting won by Dennis Sigalos)

You seriously obviously never went to a Sittingbourne double header!!!!! :wink:

i've been to plenty of sittingbourne double headers, i expect delays at conference league level. some of the doubles at white city took four hours to run which was a long time for 26 heats at a top flight track. there is a big difference between sitting in the sunshine in kent for five hours compared to being a schoolboy waiting for a bus at midnight in a dodgy part of london.

i've been to plenty of sittingbourne double headers, i expect delays at conference league level. some of the doubles at white city took four hours to run which was a long time for 26 heats at a top flight track. there is a big difference between sitting in the sunshine in kent for five hours compared to being a schoolboy waiting for a bus at midnight in a dodgy part of london.

Too right..!!

I remember failing to make it all the way home (to Orpington) from Hackney after the very long Warners Chase meeting they used to finish the season with.. :shock:

Got as far (not quite sure how I ended up there!! :rolleyes: ) as Kidbrooke station. Right in the middle of the Ferrier estate in the middle of the night is NOT a good place for a teenage lad to end up!! My Dad was less than pleased to get dragged out of his bed to drive to get me!!! :wink:

Just to correct you Parsoles - Speedway open meetings were ran at White City for the last time in 1983!

White City stadiums demise has always 'riled' me no end but even more so nowadays particularly when near neighbours QPR FC are owned by wealthy owners who could of turned White City into their new home and other sports like speedway could of been retained for open meetings!

The government has got to learn that once iconic venues are demolished their gone for good and our heritage has to be retained!

Hertha Berlins ground in Germany was built for the 1936 Olympics yet it has been kept and looks awesome now they spent money on keeping it in good nick. Then again sad to say but Euro Countries like Germany seem to do things better than what Britain does!

White City Stadium should of had a preservation order put on it and could of had investment piut into it to keep it in good nick and many sports could benefited!

The government has got to learn that once iconic venues are demolished their gone for good and our heritage has to be retained!

Hertha Berlins ground in Germany was built for the 1936 Olympics yet it has been kept and looks awesome now they spent money on keeping it in good nick. Then again sad to say but Euro Countries like Germany seem to do things better than what Britain does!

White City Stadium should of had a preservation order put on it and could of had investment piut into it to keep it in good nick and many sports could benefited!

Interestingly, not only was the Berlin Olympic Stadium preserved (even throughout Communist rule, despite being in many ways a monument to Nazism!! :shock: ); but I understand that the much more recent and far less 'special' from an architectural point of view, Munich Olympic stadium ,though no longer in use, is also mothballed and to be preserved. Good on the Germans say I... :approve:

Interestingly, not only was the Berlin Olympic Stadium preserved (even throughout Communist rule, despite being in many ways a monument to Nazism!! :shock: ); but I understand that the much more recent and far less 'special' from an architectural point of view, Munich Olympic stadium ,though no longer in use, is also mothballed and to be preserved. Good on the Germans say I... :approve:

Olympic Stadium wasn't under Communist rule Parsloes.It was in West Berlin.It was one of the stadiums that was used in the 1974 World Cup Finals......

Like Brian, I'd have the 1977 Inter-Continental Final as the greatest ever White City meeting. A huge crowd; a beautiful day; the GREATEST performance ever by the GREATEST English rider ever: Peter Collins.

Collins was superb that day and also it was the first appearance in UK of Bruce Penhall and Mike Bast although both struggled on the huge White City track.

Rebel 77 the photos are on their way.

If anyone has a spare White City -v- Wimbledon 1st meeting of 1977 programme please get in touch as i need it to complete the season.

Edited by Brian L

Must say i never liked the place.I was also at the first meeting.In fact i went to 4 of the first 5 meetings,so i gave it a chance.But after that i only went to the Wimbledon league meeting,the World Team Cup final and the Intercontinental final in 77 was my last visit to the place

Anyone have memories of the Rebels between 1976 and 1978,i started going there in 77 and have been a lifelong supporter ever since.If anyone has any photos. ,magazine covers or match reports they could e mail me to add to my small collection it would make an old man very happy.

Rebel 77

An old man at 46! :shock: Both my kids are several years older than you, son. You're just a sprog - still wet bwhind the ears. :lol: Perhaps you want the photos for you old dad! :approve:

Seriously, Rebel, sorry I can't help in your quest. Happy hunting.

An old man at 46! :shock: Both my kids are several years older than you, son. You're just a sprog - still wet bwhind the ears. :lol: Perhaps you want the photos for you old dad! :approve:

Collins was superb that day and also it was the first appearance in UK of Bruce Penhall and Mike Bast although both struggled on the huge White City track.

Rebel 77 the photos are on their way.

If anyone has a spare White City -v- Wimbledon 1st meeting of 1977 programme please get in touch as i need it to complete the season.

Thanks Brian L,much appreciated.

Rebel 77

Thanks for the compliment Ron,its a long time since anyone called me a sprog :lol: ,i will have to tell my kids as they think i am almost ready for the knackers.

Rebel 77

I have great memories of the White City Stadium.

It was big and fast. Great for riders like Pusey, Collins etc.

John Jackson was spectacular riding for Wolves in one meeting.

Queens Park Rangers played some matches there in the 60s and it was one of the 1966 World Cup venues.

Does anyone remember the (running!) races for spectators where you got a cash prize for the winner?

Found that prog of mine, was the Overseas Final from 1981 sponsored by the Sunday Mirror, cost 50p and won by Dave Jessup on 13 points, 2nd Chris Morton on 11 points, 3rd Bruce Penhall on 10 points and 4th Kelly Moran on 10 points. My man, Michael Lee came 6th on 9 points (messed up in heat 12 against Moran, Morton and Louis).

Together with this prog I found a World Team Championship UK Round (that's what it said on the front!) prog, dated Sunday May 18th 1980 at 3pm, venue King's Lynn and featuring England, New Zealand, Australia and USA. Sponsored by Gauntlet hand picked used cars, cost 35p. Winners were England on 42 points from USA on 31 points, Australia on 14 and NZ on 9.

Also a Daily Mirror sponsored World Team Championship Inter-continental final official prog, venue King's Lynn Speedway, dated Sunday June 28th 1981 at 3pm, cost 40p. England v Sweden v USA v Denmark. Winners by 1 point were Denmark on 31 from England on 30, USA on 27 and Sweden on 9.