British Speedway Forum
chopper

Australian Under 16s

Just a quick clip to show the 350 class in action in adelaide australia.

Im sure you will agree it is a great stepping stone to the 500s, perhaps the BSPA need to have a look at something similar.

This class has produced the current crop of 500 riders with a steady stream of 14 and 15 yr olds coming through.

We ran a very succesful aussie title recently, perhaps Whowasthatberntperson can get hold of a clip from that meeting to post.

Cheers Chopper

Im sure you will agree it is a great stepping stone to the 500s, perhaps the BSPA need to have a look at something similar.

We have the 250s which they have to ride until at least 14 and those bikes can go nearly as fast as a 500. There is also now a World Youth Championship on the 250s

This class has produced the current crop of 500 riders with a steady stream of 14 and 15 yr olds coming through.

500 riders in Australia? Is there that many? Either way I thought the 350s were a recent addition to the Aussie youth scene and it was the 125s that most youngsters did.

We have the 250s which they have to ride until at least 14 and those bikes can go nearly as fast as a 500. There is also now a World Youth Championship on the 250s

500 riders in Australia? Is there that many? Either way I thought the 350s were a recent addition to the Aussie youth scene and it was the 125s that most youngsters did.

Richard i think he means riders on 500cc bikes not to be confused with 500 riders DOH shall we now call you Homer :unsure::unsure:

Edited by andy james

Quote;;; Either way I thought the 350s were a recent addition to the Aussie youth scene and it was the 125s that most youngsters did

Yes your correct scunny stag, the 350s have only been around for a few seasons the riders still have the option to ride the 125s.

But as you will see from the clip a few of the kids outgrow the junior 125s and are ready for something full size, Dave Cheshires lad was over from Perth a while

back and hes about 6 foot, my lads about 5 foot 7 and way to big for the junior 125s.

The great thing about the 350s is as you stated there not much slower than the 500s so teach the kids about the speed entering corners etc.

Is there a structured class for the 250s, it suprised me that no english lads enter the youth cup.

Cheers Chopper

Richard i think he means riders on 500cc bikes not to be confused with 500 riders DOH shall we now call you Homer :unsure::unsure:

What a berk. 'Homer' it is! Maybe it was because I was rushing to post at work before too many people noticed :rolleyes:

Quote;;; Either way I thought the 350s were a recent addition to the Aussie youth scene and it was the 125s that most youngsters did

Yes your correct scunny stag, the 350s have only been around for a few seasons the riders still have the option to ride the 125s.

But as you will see from the clip a few of the kids outgrow the junior 125s and are ready for something full size, Dave Cheshires lad was over from Perth a while

back and hes about 6 foot, my lads about 5 foot 7 and way to big for the junior 125s.

The great thing about the 350s is as you stated there not much slower than the 500s so teach the kids about the speed entering corners etc.

Is there a structured class for the 250s, it suprised me that no english lads enter the youth cup.

Cheers Chopper

Hi Chopper,

I totally understand the need for something bigger than a 125 and in the UK all riders over 11 (plus some who pass recieve permission early) can ride the 250s (sadly there is no 125 competition for the younger riders yet). There is a British U-15 Championship at 500 and 250 class although many riders chose to move from 250s to 500s when they turn 14. This year there are six championship rounds and there are numerous 'amateur' meetings throughout the year (we will run 14 just at Scunthorpe this year). From speaking to parents there seems no shortage of second-half races/practices for lads during the season either. Hopefully, with the extra opportunities we are going to see more young riders taking up the sport.

Cheers,

Richard

Another thing about the 350's is once the rider turns 16 he/she/it can drop a 500 in the same frame, and as Chopper says some of the taller boys are just too big for 125s - one of my funniest recollections recently was Justin Sedgemen on a 125 v Arthur Sissis - I'll swear Arthur, who's the ideal size for a Camel Jockey, overtook Justin between his legs.

Sorry missed this thread Chopper.

350cc racing has proven to be very succesful in Australia, the riders progressing from juniors to the senior ranks are on the pace, due in no small part to the experience they gain on the 350's.

The 350's are almost as quick as the 500's, possibly quicker at some places (don't quote me on that).

As others have said, many kids outgrow the 125's in their early teens, my boy doubles up on both but he's getting too tall for the 125 now, and only does it for fun (not for too much longer though).

The comparrisson between Justin Sedgman and Arthur Sissis is a good one, also Robert Branford and Nick Morris is a good example, I've got a photo of Rob and Nick standing side by side at last year's SA U16 Title and its David v Goliath.

Prior to the 350's kids really had to continue on the 125's until they were way too big, at least now they can get on the 350's and continue riding, whereas previously I'm sure we lost riders because there was no competetive racing for them from 14-16.

Here are some clips, one from the Aussie 350 Title and a couple from the last Gold Coast meeting

Aussie Championship -

Gold Coast 350's 18/4/09 -

Gold Coast 125's 18/4/09 -

sssshhhh Dont tell them all our secrets

we also have a factory over here that cheerns them out of a mould

There is a couple of youngsters on the way out here this summer for a sneak peak

Not on 350,s admitedly but they will get to see how its done out here and return home

with an amazing educational expeariance

Edited by ausiebloke