British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rebel 77

How Much Was It

Came across a copy of a Knowle Stadium paychit for a rider called Charlie Bourdon who rode at Middlesboro on 10/4/1947 which stated that he was paid for 4 starts @ £1 each, no points money earned, travel expenses £3.10.0 minus 3/6 insurance, total paid £7.6.6 There is a footnote to say that due to the low payout he was let off £2.10.0 machinery repair charge. This was his only appearence for Bristol.

Came across a copy of a Knowle Stadium paychit for a rider called Charlie Bourdon who rode at Middlesboro on 10/4/1947 which stated that he was paid for 4 starts @ £1 each, no points money earned, travel expenses £3.10.0 minus 3/6 insurance, total paid £7.6.6 There is a footnote to say that due to the low payout he was let off £2.10.0 machinery repair charge. This was his only appearence for Bristol.

An unhappy match for Charlie Bourdon. He had a fall and a non-start in the league match. His name never appeared previously in any Bristol or Middlesbrough meetings or subsequently. Charlie is only shown as two starts in the match and does appear in the second-half so he must have been paid a guaranteed four starts for the meeting.

Edited by speedyguy

An unhappy match for Charlie Bourdon. He had a fall and a non-start in the league match. His name never appeared previously in any Bristol or Middlesbrough meetings or subsequently. Charlie is only shown as two starts in the match and does appear in the second-half so he must have been paid a guaranteed four starts for the meeting.

This payslip was found recently by his daughter in his possessions after his death so he had kept it for over 60 years. It is rather poignant that he had kept a souvenir of the one occasion he had been given a chance which never came his way again.

Not that the club needed it.

At those rates, with an average crowd of 10,000 paying the lowest entrance and not buying a programme, they would've been hauling in £750 a meeting and paying maybe 7 quid to their best rider.

Mustn't forget that tracks had to pay entertainment tax on the gate money, it was quite hefty, it closed a lot of Cinema's , theatres, and Speedway tracks

Free...I climbed in :shock::lol:

1974 at Hull, my first year of spectating, it was 30p entry (5p stand transfer) and 10p for a proggy....

1974 at Hull, my first year of spectating, it was 30p entry (5p stand transfer) and 10p for a proggy....

Less than 6 quid in today's money; the argument for dropping admission prices gets ever stronger...............

Less than 6 quid in today's money; the argument for dropping admission prices gets ever stronger...............

No it doesn't, DK. You have to have a fertile imagination to believe that cutting prices by 50% would result in attendances doubling. Much as most of us don't like to admit it, the reason tracks are poorly attended is that there are not enough people interested in going along. The only outcome, I suspect, of dropping admission prices would be a financial loss for the tracks concerned, and that wouldn't do any of us any good.

No it doesn't, DK. You have to have a fertile imagination to believe that cutting prices by 50% would result in attendances doubling. Much as most of us don't like to admit it, the reason tracks are poorly attended is that there are not enough people interested in going along. The only outcome, I suspect, of dropping admission prices would be a financial loss for the tracks concerned, and that wouldn't do any of us any good.

Did I say that it would?

And could one of the reasons that people aren't interested be, because they see it as poor value for money?

There's a few folk on this forum, including I believe a couple that are actively involved in the sport at a high level, that consider speedway to be a £10 sport, and I would agree with them.

Reducing the admission fee by half won't double the attendance, but it would be worth finding out at what level dropping entry fees would start to have a positive effect in footfall, even if you offered something like two for one, which shouldn't have any negative effects at all.

That was kids rates, I was a lot younger then (weren't we all!), think it was 70p or so for adults which would be £12 - £13 in todays money....

That was kids rates, I was a lot younger then (weren't we all!), think it was 70p or so for adults which would be £12 - £13 in todays money....

Calculated against average earnings, 70p is about a tenner.

Using your figures, one adult, one child, two transfers and two programmes would be about 15 quid, which still compares favourably with today's prices; a family ticket for two adults, two children and four programmes at Lakeside, would cost you £44, for your dad to take you to the same place would be £23.

Edited by DK Rides Again