British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Newcastle 80th Anniversary Meeting

The weather here on Tyneside at 10.25am is sunny, although showers are forecast for later on, but it should stay fine for the meeting itself.

Hope to see loads of people there, to see what should be a cracking meeting. :approve:

Quite agree. :approve: The weather is bright and sunny, with no rain, so it's got the ingredients for a great day of speedway. Get ya sel there. :lol:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Quite agree. :approve: The weather is bright and sunny, with no rain, so it's got the ingredients for a great day of speedway. Get ya sel there. :lol:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

yep we coming over from the west shores of worky to shout on kev and craig hope you lot have lots of deep muck on that place

Boxall not riding apparently, apparently he has broken his hand :rolleyes:

is there updates anywhere for this meeting

I couldn't see any but this is from the Coventry website.

Sunday 17 May 2009

RORY Schlein scored a 15-point maximum to win Newcastle's 80th Anniversary meeting at Brough Park on Sunday - to go alongside his victory in the 60-year Brandonapolis at Coventry in 2007, Rory finished well clear and was joined in the top four by Travis McGowan (12), Daniel King (12), and Bjarne Pedersen (11).

Source: www.coventrymotorspeedway.com

Edited by TrueBee

Good meeting with plenty of effort from the EL riders.

Rory was super smooth, very professional and put his previous Brough experience to good use - well done.

The semi and final had to be abandoned due to a huge downpour after the qualifying races. - probably wouldn't have affected the result though.

Man of the match was definately Travis Mc, who wowed the crowds with some outside swoops. Could easily have had a 15 point max himself had he not hit the fence in his first ride whilst passing Jason Lyons and breaking his foot rest and then hitting a grippy patch whilst leading Rory in his second.

Other EL riders showed good skills but thought Bjarne was down on Power. Danny King started like a steam train like he had riden Brough all his life but as the track slickened (awaiting the rain) he struggled with grip. Also tried two absolute flyers out the trap but the ref was having none of it.

Really worried about the Newcastle riders though - never in it.

Hope Berwick will drop Lawson so we can sign him. Although Lyons out scored him when he was good he was very good.

Nice also to see Russ Dent and Alan Butterfield from the 1960's diamonds. Oh for the glory days once again

Edited by Brough Diamond

I couldn't see any but this is from the Coventry website.

Sunday 17 May 2009

RORY Schlein scored a 15-point maximum to win Newcastle's 80th Anniversary meeting at Brough Park on Sunday - to go alongside his victory in the 60-year Brandonapolis at Coventry in 2007, Rory finished well clear and was joined in the top four by Travis McGowan (12), Daniel King (12), and Bjarne Pedersen (11).

Source: www.coventrymotorspeedway.com

Chris Mills 1pt

Casper Wortmann 2 pts

Danny King 12 (won most entertaining rider)

James Wright 7

Bjarne Pedersen 11

Jason King 5

Trent leverington 4

Kev Doolan 10

Leigh Lanham 7

Derek Sneddon 5

Kenni Larsen 6

Rory Schlein 15

Craig Branney 4

Jason Lyons 10

William Lawson 9

Travis Mcgowan 12

Rory Schlein won top prize on a technicallity based on the racing being abandoned after 20 heats due to heavy rain shower and track became unrideable.To be fair to Rory IMO he would have won the prize even if they had a semi & a final anyway.

My Rider of the meeting was neither Schlein nor King (although both were outstanding) it was Will Lawson he had engine failure in his 1st outing and still managed 9 including HT16

beating Lanham & Wright.

Rory was super smooth, very professional and put his previous Brough experience to good use - well done.

The semi and final had to be abandoned due to a huge downpour after the qualifying races. - probably wouldn't have affected the result though.

Man of the match was definately Travis Mc, who wowed the crowds with some outside swoops. Could easily have had a 15 point max himself had he not hit the fence in his first ride whilst passing Jason Lyons and breaking his foot rest and then hitting a grippy patch whilst leading Rory in his second.

Other EL riders showed good skills but thought Bjarne was down on Power. Danny King started like a steam train like he had riden Brough all his life but as the track slickened (awaiting the rain) he struggled with grip. Also tried two absolute flyers out the trap but the ref was having none of it.

Hope Berwick will drop Lawson so we can sign him. Although Lyons out scored him when he was good he was very good.

Nice also to see Russ Dent and Alan Butterfield from the 1960's diamonds. Oh for the glory days once again

Would have been good to see those boys take to the track and show the current riders how its done.

They could produce a few WOOOOOOO WHAT A MOOOVVVE moments to keep the crowds happy that is for sure.

I must say it was a real shame that the rain came at the exact wrong time but at least we got further than we might have as it was threatning throughout the match

It was a good crowd as expected however I think we will be coming back down with a bump as Brough Diamond said we looked very poor :( Also really upset to find out the lift was not ready for today as I would of stayed behind for the auction but couldn't get up the stairs :mad:

And last comment for now from me is a BIG well done to William Lawson and a big thanks to him & Steve Brock for coming over to me to get my picture taken as I couldn't get to the pits :)

Edited by mike7164

Other EL riders showed good skills but thought Bjarne was down on Power.

Dropping his average mate. That's what we've been told by everyone after each Poole meeting when he's ridden. ;):rolleyes:

Pleased it was a great meeting. I thoroughly enjoyed my last trip to the home of muck, so it was great to see it's history celebrated today. :approve:

How on earth can you say that was a good meeting, it has to be one of the worst prepared tracks ive ever seen and it contributed to a total shocker of a meeting, Zero racing, no passing. Hugley dissapointing.

How on earth can you say that was a good meeting, it has to be one of the worst prepared tracks ive ever seen and it contributed to a total shocker of a meeting, Zero racing, no passing. Hugley dissapointing.

KSO You have had a hell of a lot negative to say about the team & everything if this evenings match was your first & last of the season

However I WILL bite on what did you expect the track to be as with the weather that was forecast it had to be able to stand some rain so thats my opinion on why the track was the way it was but IMHO it wasn't that bad a racing strip The only thing in my opinion I think Newcastle did wrong is once the rain started they should of hurried up and got the rest of it on however this was not helped with the last race having to be rerun because of Kenni Larsen touching the tapes but its just one of those things!

KSO You have had a hell of a lot negative to say about the team & everything if this evenings match was your first & last of the season

However I WILL bite on what did you expect the track to be as with the weather that was forecast it had to be able to stand some rain so thats my opinion on why the track was the way it was but IMHO it wasn't that bad a racing strip The only thing in my opinion I think Newcastle did wrong is once the rain started they should of hurried up and got the rest of it on however this was not helped with the last race having to be rerun because of Kenni Larsen touching the tapes but its just one of those things!

Can't see how they could have hurried up. The two minutes were going on as soon as the winner was back at the pit gate after their lap of honour.