British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Eddie Reeves

Remember Eddie as a real trier-in 65 he was with Oxford-where is Eddie now??

No posts yet-has everybody forgotten about Eddie-is he dead or alive? Eddie should be remembered by any sixties fan.

No posts yet-has everybody forgotten about Eddie-is he dead or alive? Eddie should be remembered by any sixties fan.

I think we did a bit about Eddie some time back. He was married to a film star I know and rode for a while for Kings Lynn Stars following transfer from the Oxford Cheetahs and partnered Terry Betts in the line-up at Saddlebow Road. Martin Rogers in his History of Kings Lynn would have covered Eddies time at Kings Lynn and I am fairly sure Eddie had some rides at Boston later but the Control Board put a block on Eddie, like Ian Turner, from joining the lower league outfit at that time

and rode for a while for Kings Lynn Stars following transfer from the Oxford Cheetahs and partnered Terry Betts in the line-up at Saddlebow Road. Martin Rogers in his History of Kings Lynn would have covered Eddies time at Kings Lynn and I am fairly sure Eddie had some rides at Boston later but the Control Board put a block on Eddie, like Ian Turner, from joining the lower league outfit at that time

After that great year at Oxford in 1969, he never came close to repeating anything like that form. He actually spent two years at Hackney before joining the Stars, but struggled badly at both tracks. Finally, he made 6 appearances for Boston in 1978, but could only average just over 2 points a meeting.

Steve

Thanx guys-did Eddie ever get to the British Final or BLRC do you know.??

Thanx guys-did Eddie ever get to the British Final or BLRC do you know.??

Neither, Bob. Although Eddie finished 1969 topping the Oxford averages, Colin Gooddy was non-riding reserve for the BLRC. Also, as far as I can see, he never even qualified for a British Semi-Final, let alone the Final itself.

Steve

Edited by chunky

I remember him riding for New Cross in 1963 as part of a father and son team with his dad, Reg.

To be quite frank, he wasn't very good - finishing with an average of 2.05 - but he was very young and only just starting out then. I know he improved greatly in his later career.

i remember riding with eddie at weymouth i think we both rode for new cross B against weymouth 1963 might still have the prog will look later i was also going to boston the year eddie last rode i think it was c crane who brought him in at the time it was sad to see eddie not go well at all i think he had been riding in america before he came back to boston???

I remember him riding for New Cross in 1963 as part of a father and son team with his dad, Reg.

To be quite frank, he wasn't very good - finishing with an average of 2.05 - but he was very young and only just starting out then. I know he improved greatly in his later career.

Didn't Reg team-ride with Eddie for a 5-1 in his first outing or is that Speedway folklore...

Eddie married the actress Ann Michelle.

He came back to ride for Oxford in 1973, and I also think he was in California in the 1970s.

Edited by miro

Didn't Reg team-ride with Eddie for a 5-1 in his first outing or is that Speedway folklore...

A bit of each in a way!

Their first outing together was at Hackney on 10 April. Up against Tommy Sweetman and Wal Morton in heat one, neither of them finished - Reg had ef and Eddie fell.

Two days later, back at New Cross, they were out again in heat one and this time they did indeed score a 5-1, with Reg team riding his son home.

With regard to my previous posting about Eddie not being very good, I should add he was only 17 at the time.

i remember riding with eddie at weymouth i think we both rode for new cross B against weymouth 1963 might still have the prog will look later i was also going to boston the year eddie last rode i think it was c crane who brought him in at the time it was sad to see eddie not go well at all i think he had been riding in america before he came back to boston???

Yes, he did ride for New Cross 'B' at Weymouth in 1963. Scored 5+1 from 5 rides on Friday 21 June in a match which was drawn 39-39.

A certain Terry Stone scored 5+2 from 4 rides then beat Eddie in heat 2 of the second half to reach the final. Don't have the result of the final except that it was won by John Mills.

Another interesting point about the meeting was that the second half included Edinburgh second halfer Bert Harkins who was on a self funded tour of southern tracks to gain experience. Bert reached the Final but I have him down as retiring during the race (expensive mechanical problems I seem to remember).

:)

i remember bert being at weymouth that night as he was in the first race with me in the second half i was just in front of bert at the time when my chain broke and my bike landed on my head and my helmet (pudding basin) fell in half ended up in weymouth hospital with suspected fractured scull happy days !!

Eddie Reeves lives in the village of Felsted Essex.UK He is a regular at the local Chequers pub in the village. Can catch there when speedway is on the Fox channel. Tony

Another funny story:- (well I thought so anyway) :D Eddie was a great lad but I think it was true to say he was never really dedicated enough to become world champion! B) as this story shows. It was about '69 and Oxford were away at Poole, about an hour before the start, rain lashing down. Eddie and 'Joe' Gooddy decided it was off! So when the bar opens they're in for a pint before making the journey home. Now, Geoff Mudge, the Poole captain, is still keen to get the meeting on and is lobbying the ref to this ends. They find Eddie and the ref asks, will he join them in a walk round the track to inspect the condition and come to a decision. Eddie retorts, quite firmly, "I ain't going round there, It'll ruin me shoes (blue suede, he was quite a dresser!) I can see enough from here and as far as I'm concerned It's off"! :lol: Geoff and the Ref made the inspection and then made the obvious decision, meeting off. :rolleyes::lol:

i have heard eddie recall the boston comeback, i think he was on a good earner and cyril transported him too meetings in style, but the old enthusiasm had gone