British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SexKitten

2003 GP a fix

Everytime a rider wins something somebody goes and post's something against that rider just cause there rider didnt win!

How right you are, I was one who wanted Jason Crump to win can't be because I'm a fan of his because usually I'm not, I just hoped that it was going to be his year this year and that he deserved it. Unfortunately lady luck was (by the sounds of it, not seen the meeting yet!) not on his side.

Congratulations to Nikki P the best rider on the night won. Make the most of it, there will be plenty after the title next year :)

Guest BritPeter

Pedersen has won, and has become the sports champion, and no amount of moaning is going to change it, I think he won because he held his nerve far better than Crump did, I am not a great fan of him, but, we have to accept the fact that he is the world's number one, and give him a chance to prove it next season.

Surely the point of having a grand prix series over 9 rounds is to establish the best rider over the whole season.

Pedersen didn't just win it last night. His consistency over the prior 8 rounds was a major factor.

He's the Champion by right and should be acknowledged as such.

As Crump and Rickardsson have already graciously done.

Speedy-Star wrote:

But Crump met Pedersen twice last night and beat him both times.

So he went into the final round in the lead, beat his closest rival twice, was not beaten by Pedersen and still didn't get the title.

Crump was unlucky that the one race he messed up was a tough sudden death semi-final.

When Pedersen messed up in one race it just gave him a second chance in an eliminator.

Unfortunately the format is badly flawed. The best way to decide the true champion would be a series of 16-rider 20-heat championship format meetings.

Sums it up really.

For goodness sake Nicki won fair and square lay off him people!

Nicki didn't course andreas to come off he def did that himself and so he should have been excluded!

The best man won!

Well done Nicki

Guest davej92

Jeez - Pedersen is World Champ because he seems to be able to handle the pressure. He's pciked himself up so many times this season and has had more eliminator races than Crump I'm sure. But Crumpy always seems to bottle it in the big ones.

Oh and by the way - I wanted Crump to win and can't stand Pedersen but he won!

There is no way Crump could NOT be excluded for his move on Holta - I was there and you could see it coming from the exit from the second bend - he would have taken adams out earlier in the meeting but adams moved out wide.

However, almost every other decision the ref made seemed extremely dodgy on the night - however haven't looked at the video yet.

Pedersen is champ - lets just make sure someone beats him next year!!

Dave

Surely the point of having a grand prix series over 9 rounds is to establish the best rider over the whole season.

Pedersen didn't just win it last night. His consistency over the prior 8 rounds was a major factor.

But Crump met Pedersen twice last night and beat him both times.

So he went into the final round in the lead, beat his closest rival twice, was not beaten by Pedersen and still didn't get the title.

Crump was unlucky that the one race he messed up was a tough sudden death semi-final.

When Pedersen messed up in one race it just gave him a second chance in an eliminator.

Unfortunately the format is badly flawed. The best way to decide the true champion would be a series of 16-rider 20-heat championship format meetings.

Strange logic.

Perhaps speedway's history could be re-written for you.

Ivan Mauger beat Peter Collins at 76 Final - Mauger is new champ

Dave Jessup beat Mike Lee at 80 Final - Jessup new champ

Slawomir Drabik beat Gary Havelock at 92 Final - Drabik new champ

Mark Loram didn't win a GP in 2000 - despite overall points advantage, title given to Tony Rickardson, or whoever else was deemed most "unlucky"!

Whatever formula there is, someone will always have complaints. The fact is that all the riders know the formula at the start. I'm just pleased that the title was won fair and square. Nicki took his chance, Crumpy didn't, simple as that.

Whatever formula there is, someone will always have complaints. The fact is that all the riders know the formula at the start. I'm just pleased that the title was won fair and square. Nicki took his chance, Crumpy didn't, simple as that.

Well put :D

Why can't people just accept that Nicki won fair and square

just leave him alone, credit is due to the dane so back off!

Guest mattp

I think you have really got to hand it to Jason - the humility that he showed in that interview after the biggest kick in the guts of his life was unbelievable.

Whilst the system isn't fair and Jason was the best rider on the night, Nicki is World Champ, simple as that. There were many tears shed around Australia when that decision was handed down by the ref.

Jason will just have to go out and spank 'em next year

What strange logic you have and an amazing ability not to be able to compare like with like.

Those meetings were run on a fair format, everyone met everyone else once and once only, everyone had to have at least one race off each gate position.

None of those riders beat the champion twice. None met twice.

its crazy to use a format where one rider can score 3,3,3 but then be knocked out by a sudden death semi-final after being given a poor gate on a poor slick track by the toss of a coin, whilst an opponent can score 0,2,2,R,2,2 and then be handed the best semi-final gate on the toss of a coin.

There's no criticism of Nicki Pedersen whatsoever. He and his team perfectly exploited a flawed system and well done to them.

Its a great achievement for an 8 point rider to lift the title ahead of better riders.

What you seem to be forgetting is that this was decided over a whole season, not just on this one meeting. If a rider is consitently good over the year then he will be World Champion, as is the case with Nicki Pedersen. It's as simple as that.

If it were still a one-off final then maybe you'd have a point. But it isn't. So you haven't.

Wonder what would have happened in 1978 if Dave Jessup had been given a second chance instead of his hopes being wiped out by ef. Who's to say which way is the fairer?

What strange logic you have and an amazing ability not to be able to compare like with like.

Those meetings were run on a fair format, everyone met everyone else once and once only, everyone had to have at least one race off each gate position.

its crazy to use a format where one rider can score 3,3,3 but then be knocked out by a sudden death semi-final after being given a poor gate on a poor slick track by the toss of a coin, whilst an opponent can score 0,2,2,R,2,2 and then be handed the best semi-final gate on the toss of a coin.

There's no criticism of Nicki Pedersen whatsoever. He and his team perfectly exploited a flawed system and well done to them.

Its a great achievement for an 8 point rider to lift the title ahead of better riders.

I don't really agree with you, but I can see where you're comimg from. One quick point though. Nicki and Jason both drew gate three in the semis so there was no advantage to either of them. Nicki pulled off a fantastic move to get himself into the final, Jason blew it.

I for one am very happy to see Nicki prove all the doubters wrong, including himself. I'm also gutted for Jason to come so close again.

;):P

I for one am very happy to see Nicki prove all the doubters wrong, including himself. I'm also gutted for Jason to come so close again.

;):P

I am also VERY happy to see him win :lol::lol:

It's a shame though that people still have to find ways to dig at him :evil: :evil:

He won because he has been the best through out and thats that!

If any other rider had won it would have been a different story!

Guys Please just give Nicki some credit :-( because he worked so hard this season and deserved it :)

Nifty editing there SS - choosing to leave my GP example out from my original posting. ;-)

Anyhoo - point is whatever format it is, there will always be a crunch point. When Nicki's came, he responded brilliantly. He had a poor gate, but had the ability to overtake to make the final. When JC's crunch time came, he had a rush of blood and blew it.

You can't just play down the significance by saying he was unlucky (as you did earlier). His opportunity arrived and he didn't take it. That's what the World Championship has always been about and always will, whatever the format.