British Speedway Forum
PhilK

Fim Team Under-21 World Championship

Tragic news to hear. It didn't sound good from the earlier reports... How cruel this sport can be.

Edited by rabbit

looking at some photos of the track and it seems to have a static wooden fence all around or did they use airfence for this meeting?

Very sad for the young German,my thought are with him and his family and just hope against all the odds he can lead a normal life

Well it could've been avoided because ref mick bates wanted to stop the race because of unsatisfying start.

but he didnt turn on red lights right after the start.as i could see he did that as the first 2 riders entered turn 3.that was too late and the crash happend between turn 3 and 4.unfortunately there was no airfence installed :cry: This crash was not nessesary,neither was the result of the crash.

i think in the future all official FIM meetings, U21 team World Cup, U21/19 world/euro champs (including qualifiers) as well as qualifications to the GPs

must be held on tracks with airfences. I dont know if this would have helped Petersen but atleast i mght prevent things like this in the future.

We have been informed on german speedway forum that Germany's Team member Sönke Pedersen is paraplegic from now on due to a heavy crash in Heat 5.

I can't really believe it,and i'm very sad now.This is a heavy blow to german speedway.i wish him all the best for his future,and i hope he can deal with it.

Very sad, tragic for the rider

All the best for your future, how cruel speedway can be :(

Awful news of poor Sonke

I wish him all the best in coming to terms with this dreadful injury. So young and now this.

You really cant say anything to sum up what you feel as a fan right now.

I apologise for my early outburst regarding Brendon. I didnt mean to take a swipe at him more of the other riders from team GB who DIDNT go to Abensberg. I was there last year when the track was rough for the gp qualifying round and I am sad to hear of the injuries sustained by Sonke.

If this is the state of team GB its no wonder that our riders are struggling abroad and in the GPs and WTC.

I wish Sonke all the best with his rehabilitation and anything he decides to do next. A young exciting rider who was going to be a great rider!!!

Horrible news, the guy's just 20 :(

Sad to hear about the young german lad good luck to him I agree I probaly didn't word my last post like how I wanted to say. I should have said if GB had a full team it would have probaly been a different meeting but the lads that went did the best they could. I think it will be between Sweden,Poland and possibly Denmark

Edited by flagrag

This is terrible news about Sonke Petersen.

He has actually ridden in the UK, and some of you may have seen him.

He was here with the German Under-15 team that rode against GB in 2001 at Kings Lynn, St Austell, and Newport. At just 12 years old, he was the youngest member of that team. He rode here again when the German team returned in 2003, riding at King's Lynn, Buxton, and Stoke.

So sad that one brief moment in time can alter a young man's whole life.

Very sad to read about Sönke.I have seen the lad progress since i have been here in Germany.He rides for my local team,Brokstedt.I wish him and his family all the best for the future.I know his father is quite old and not in the best of health himself,but has been a constant help to Sönke.

shocking news and it is hard to comprehend the challenges ahead of him now

I agree with Ghostwalker that all future official world meetings should take place using an airfence............ in fact I really do think we have reached the point where there is just no excuse for a lack of an airfence full stop......... speedway is not cheap to promote and in the grand scheme of things 15k is not the end of the world.......... its certainly cheap if it helps to stop things like this