British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Jimmy Gooch

And to those others who also took the trouble to respond. Sorry Norm, you're recollection of that New X decider is much better than Jimmy's! Got the Fundin punch-up story covered too.

Oh well, it was my first meeting, so I suppose for that reason it stands out in my memory.

Jimmy was in fine form, though, and I'm sure his thoughts and memories will be of interest to readers of Issue 5. He's a remarkable man, as you'll discover when you read what he's been up to since he left speedway in 1970.

That's good to hear. He was my first speedway "hero", so It'll be great to read about him.

(I have renewed my subscription, haven't I Tony? :P )

Can anyone please confirm the two people in this picture of Jimmy taken in his Oxford days?

Please click this link to view pic:

http://www.retro-speedway.com/extras/autog...CH%2C_Jimmy.jpg

Is the promoter with him Jack Knott?

Anyone any idea what meeting/second half event Jimmy had just won?

And, for a Blue Peter badge, surely no-one can identify the young lady too?

Many thanks for your help.

Tony, definitely Jack Knott-don't know the girl-could it be a young Harriet Harman-looks like she was the May Queen.I'd hazard a guess that it was a second half because I checked the yearbooks for 1965 and 66 re individual trophy winners and Jim didn't show winning one at Poole in either of those years.Has to be 65 or 66 because Jim rode for Wasps in 67 and Oxford didn't ride at Poole in 64, and prior to 64 Oxford had a different race jacket. BTW Tony when is next Classic mag being mailed out to us subscribers-looking forward to it-great mag.

Can anyone please confirm the two people in this picture of Jimmy taken in his Oxford days?

Please click this link to view pic:

http://www.retro-speedway.com/extras/autog...CH%2C_Jimmy.jpg

Is the promoter with him Jack Knott?

Anyone any idea what meeting/second half event Jimmy had just won?

And, for a Blue Peter badge, surely no-one can identify the young lady too?

Many thanks for your help.

Hi, Tony,..............Yes I think the promoter IS Jack Knott but I don't know who the 'May Queen' is presenting Jimmy with the trophy.

Haggis

Haggis P.S. after in depth research I can confirm the girl is Harriet Harperson!!!

You are right Nigel, so the story went at the time but memories have a habit of changing things like that around.

Ove "filled Jimmy in" with wet shale a couple of times one night in 1963, Jimmy, obviously not too happy with his "team partner" for those actions, went across the pits and did some "filling-in" of his own. The story was that this caused Jimmy to leave the Firs and join Oxford for the 1964 season. When I mentioned this to someone recently they did not remember the matter at all.

I think that's pretty much how I understood it to be. Jimmy, although a very jovial and easy going chap off track, was a very no nonsense guy when it came to 'on track' time. He would, I'm sure, after the first incident have calmly pointed out to Ove the consequences should it happen again! Ove was the king at Norwich and the management would bend over backwards, sideways and inside out to keep him happy, sometime it was felt, to the detriment of other team members. Thus it was that Jimmy moved to Oxford with George Major going the other way, though he (George) was not informed of this, but just sent a booking for a meeting at Norwich. His pairing with Ove didn't fair much better which lead to his moving to the, then black league, with Cradley Heath.

It must be said that most, if not all, true champions have by nature, a very solo, must win, mind set and Ove was certainly a true champion. Also they usually have the edge on the majority of riders so win race after race unhindered. However that year they were operating handicap starts, with Ove being one of half a dozen top riders starting behind everyone else. Now, in normal conditions this was not much of a handicap but in the wet, well that was a different story and Ove often found himself in positions quite alien to him. So it could be said that he would instinctively try to make his way to the front at all costs, and that would mean passing three riders however possible! Several partners were tried through the season but all, I think, pretty much with the same result, but really brought about by the handicapping.

I always thought at the time that maybe the management could have done more to sort out the situation but in hindsight perhaps they just wanted to get through to the end of the season.... and Speedway at Norwich. :cry:

I think there were just 3 riders in 1964 who were placed on a handicap-Fundin, Knuttsson,Briggs-is that right or were there more??My memory is shaky on this-if it applied in 63 there would have also been Craven and Moore-known as the big five.