British Speedway Forum
Guest Oh no ur shoes!

Where do people want the SWC to be next year?

Of course there's room, "The other AJ", hop on board!

I too hope it's in the Czech Republic.

Are Eastbourne and Poole really the best speedway stadia we can offer the world?!

Now I must admit I have never been to Eastbourne but it doesn't look very impressive on tv, to say the least. (Let alone the tricky track.) Poole were bragging about the size of the crowd for the play-off final but how many got a good view of the action? If you weren't in the stand or leaning on the perimeter fence there were very few vantage points.

How are they going to run it on just two tracks? Are we going to see five rider races at Eastbourne!!!! Surely as we are represented by Team GB the rounds could be spread further round the country.

If Eastbourne and Poole are the best we can do I really do hope it will be held in the Czech Republic or Poland.

Well my inital thoughts as I first read this thread were of course I want the WTC to be staged in England so that I can definitely watch all the meetings, but then again there aren't that many tracks here than cater for such a large meeting, although I think Poole, Coventry and Peterborough are capable of providing a great meeting. If the WTC is run abroad, I think it would be good to be staged in Poland as the fans are so enthusiastic over there, or maybe Sweden as they are the new winners of the cup so maybe that would be fair? But I still think personally I'd like it staged here so that I can guarantee to go! :lol:

If it comes to England there are only a hand full of top race tracks, notice i've said race tracks not stadiums. The quality of racing is more important isn't it. I'm sure alot of you will disagree for sure but i just want to see good racing on a good track,so, here goes,

King's Lynn

Swindon

Peterborough

Sheffield

Guest Oh no ur shoes!

What about coventry, we have an air fence and quite a good track!

:D

What about coventry, we have an air fence and quite a good track!

Unfortunately only every other week so the timing would have to be spot on. :P

Are Eastbourne and Poole really the best speedway stadia we can offer the world?!

How are they going to run it on just two tracks? Are we going to see five rider races at Eastbourne!!!! Surely as we are represented by Team GB the rounds could be spread further round the country.

If Eastbourne and Poole are the best we can do I really do hope it will be held in the Czech Republic or Poland.

I am only passing on what JP said to me in Denmark, the reasons for Eastbourne and Poole were to have the SWC run on the South Coast in the height of the Holiday Season ! Also, there are very strong rumors that all rounds (ALL ROUNDS!) will be 4 rider races!

The real issue is not where the event is going to be held, but getting the format right. A 12-team competition means far too many weak teams, and the qualifying rounds are a foregone conclusion. The meeting format is also crap, what with pointless 5-rider races, no reserves, and too many heats that provide little chance of unexpected results. The whole thing also goes on too long, and causes too much disruption to the national leagues.

I think the basic concept of staging a Final Tournament in one country is fine, but there should only be 8-teams (6 seeded directly, and 2 coming from qualifying rounds) in two Semi-Finals, with the top two going straight into the Final. Given that home fans generally don't have much interest in watching teams other than their own (except possibly in Britain), some consideration might be given to staging the two Semi-Finals as a double-header at one track (e.g. 2 x 16-heat events).

good point about poole and its veiwing problem...mind you i have no problems from my spot in the bar!!! lol.....to be honest im not really a swc fan....found the danish effort just that..a big effort to watch it....but wotever happens please keep ole away from track preperation..he hasnt a clue fgs....youve only gotta look at cardiff and vojens etc to see that....in fact who does produce a decent consistent surface these days?...my answer is to get the dugards to do the big occasion stuff..eastbourne may not be everyones cuppa regarding size & shape but ive never seen a bad racing surface there yet

Who decides which country it is to be held in :?: FIM, BSI, SKY :?:

I can understand why Australia is,nt on the short list to stage SWC because of the traveling time & expense. If a GP is not viable there it follows that a SWC would also be ruled out.

Why is,nt Sweden being considered ? They are one of the top speedway nations, have staged many world finals and are currently SWC holders.

I would have thought Sweden should be higher on the list than Poland, GB or CR. The 3 tracks in Denmark were all in the middle of the country within an hours drive of each other which meant we lodged in the same place the whole week. Compare this to GB - Sun Sheffield, Mon Poole, Tue Eastbourne Wed could,nt book up in case one of the 1st 3 was rained off. It seems that traveling fans are a very low priority when these decisions are taken. There are enough tracks in the midlands that could easilly put on as good a show as we saw in Denmark which was very good. Or am I missing the obvious :?:

:D Edinburgh Monarchs Premier League Champions 2003 :D

I was under the impression that the local tracks foot the bill for staging SWC (and GP) meetings not BSI. If that is the case I would suggest there are some very shrewd promoters in Sweden :P. What's the point of bankrolling someone else's business.

At the moment there are three countries in the hat !

Poland

Great Britain

Czecho

If Great Britain host it, then it will be held at two tracks, Eastbourne and Poole (words from JP himself)

And to think people laughed when I announced this a few months ago!!!!

maybe certain people will listen more when I say things now! I do know the people who count! If only I knew the person with the lottery numbers !!!!

If that is the case I would suggest there are some very shrewd promoters in Sweden

I think you only have to look at the financial disaster that befell SVEMO over the abortive Scandinavian GP last season to find the reason. I don't think there's any spare money left in the kitty to bankroll the SWC.

Edited by Kevin Meynell

If only I knew the person with the lottery numbers !!!!

if u find out dont forget to share the info !! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lets scrap it altogether or run every four years or even 40 years

yeah every 4 years would be good..make it worthwhile to win..lets face it how mnay of the ssedish team get referred to as world cup winners?

yeah every 4 years would be good..make it worthwhile to win..

The duration between World Cups wouldn't make a huge difference if the competition, and to a greater extent the whole sport, was promoted better. The World Team Cup has always been held every year, and I think a long duration between competitions would not be beneficial.

The reason World Cups in other sports are held four years apart is because they need time to run qualifiers, and there are other international competitions to fill the intervening years. In speedway, not only are there only a handful of countries that can track full teams, but there is no European Championship either (Thank God).