British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
asturmer

Reg Luckhurst

I recently purchased some Canterbury Crusaders photos from 1978. One is of Reg Luckhurst sitting on his bike with Lucky inscribed on the fuel tank, and he was wearing number 1 for the Crusaders. His two sons Jamie and Jeremy rode for the team shortly afterwards so it occurred to me that he would have been getting on a bit at that time for a speedwayrider!! Does anyone know how old Reg would have been around 78? I was told he ran a pub for a few years and sang to customers, and is now retired in Tenerife!

Reg was born on 11 November 1935.

Thanks for the info which confirms Reg was 42 when he rode in 78, making him one of the all time stayers, I think Mike Broadbanks was a similar age at Crayford, and of course Jimmy Squibb at Canterbury too!!

Jimmy Squibb was born in 1921 so think he may have ridden into his fifties,Howdy Byford was born in 1919 and still going in 1965.Also Wilf Jay had a couple of rides for Sheffield when he was over 50.

Never mind who was the oldest rider, who was the tallest? Does anyone know? :P:wink:

Never mind who was the oldest rider, who was the tallest? Does anyone know? :P:wink:

Please don't start Bob off again... :rolleyes:

Steve

Edited by chunky

Thanks for the info which confirms Reg was 42 when he rode in 78, making him one of the all time stayers, I think Mike Broadbanks was a similar age at Crayford, and of course Jimmy Squibb at Canterbury too!!

I was lucky enough to have a chat with Jimmy right at the end of his career( about mid seventies) and he told me he was 55yrs old and wished he was 25yrs old again, great fellow loads of stories and a lots of advice for a then aspiring young rider .

Edited by FAST GATER

A quick check of the yearbook doesnt show any indication of Reg riding in 1978 at Canterbury or anywhere else, asturmer. Maybe it was a publicity shot for something :unsure:

A quick check of the yearbook doesnt show any indication of Reg riding in 1978 at Canterbury or anywhere else, asturmer. Maybe it was a publicity shot for something :unsure:

Must have been 1976, can you check in yearbook?

I remember Graham Banks about 6feet 2 inches and Graham Miles probably around 6 feet 4 inches. Barney Kennett seemed tall at the time, as did Danny Kennedy and Dave Piddock, and thats just Canterbury riders!!

See Chunky and Norbold someone else agrees with me!!!!

See Chunky and Norbold someone else agrees with me!!!!

I never knew Graham Miles was 6'4"!!! :unsure::unsure:

Steve

Graham Miles? Yes, it could be. Why has no-one ever mentioned this before? :wink:

Must have been 1976, can you check in yearbook?

Unfortunately that is the one yearbook I didnt keep hold of, asturmer. But a quick check on the excellent http://canterburycrusaders.co.uk shows that Reg did indeed ride for Canterbury during the 1976 season.

Edited by mervjankefanclub