British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
falkirkbandit

Louis Lawson Interview

I'm not really sure how i got onto this as i was Googling "William Lawson" but there you go :lol:

Seems this was put online just last week from the date, its a good read!

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/homespor...il/article.html

Falkirk Bandit -thanx for putting us on to this article. Question now arises -who is the oldest survivor of the 1949 World Final-Louis or Cyril Roger(the only two left).

According to Wikipedia, Cyril Roger was born on 27 December 1921 and Louis Lawson on 25 October 1921, making Louis two months older.

How interesting. Thanks for that falkirkbandit. :approve:

Last year at a race meeting at Scarborough we were trading at, a nice old chap seeing our speedway prints, was telling me that Louis was either a neighbour or friend (can't remember which now) of his, and he was still quite an active sort of bloke and he still had a full head of red hair.

That was an interesting comment to : 'Incidentally, Wilkinson is credited with introducing curved handlebars to speedway' I thought they were always curved from the very beginning - downwards originally, but still curved. :unsure:

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Norbold thanx-then Louis is the oldest surviving World Finalist of all, Cyril is second and Split Waterman is third (I think)-sounds like a heat result!!

No worries chaps, i love reading about the old days and old riders so i was quite pleased i stumbled across the articles B)

Norbold thanx-then Louis is the oldest surviving World Finalist of all, Cyril is second and Split Waterman is third (I think)-sounds like a heat result!!

Yes, I guess so. Split was born on 27 July 1923.

Thanx to you Norbold I now know the three oldest surviving World Finalists(in addition to the tallest ever rider-wouldn't happen to know the second tallest would you!!!)

Thanx to you Norbold I now know the three oldest surviving World Finalists(in addition to the tallest ever rider-wouldn't happen to know the second tallest would you!!!)

No, but I can be fairly certain that it wasn't Johnnie Chamberlain.

How interesting. Thanks for that falkirkbandit. :approve:

Last year at a race meeting at Scarborough we were trading at, a nice old chap seeing our speedway prints, was telling me that Louis was either a neighbour or friend (can't remember which now) of his, and he was still quite an active sort of bloke and he still had a full head of red hair.

That was an interesting comment to : 'Incidentally, Wilkinson is credited with introducing curved handlebars to speedway' I thought they were always curved from the very beginning - downwards originally, but still curved. :unsure:

You and your bloody handlebars :rolleyes:

Get a life man, one day it might get you into trouble :wink:

Edited by Custom House Kid

No, but I can be fairly certain that it wasn't Johnnie Chamberlain.

My guess would be Graham Miles! Is that worth a separate debate? :rolleyes:

But what was Louis Lawson's REAL name? It's been debated but I can't remember it nor find my note on the subject.

Edited by speedyguy

Yes I recall the debate about Louis Lawson's real name-it seemed like LL was an alias-you wouldn't happen to know would you Norbold???

There's an article in today's Speedway Star on Louis, i don't know if it mentions it in there, i just skimmed through the magazine on my lunch hour, i always read it properly on a saturday when i'm off work for the weekend.