British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bee

Second Half Riders....

OK, So as a Coventry fan I often think back of the 'meaningless' second half scratch races and juniors coming through the scene. Usually local lads. Some made it. Some were cut short by injury. Some faded away and one or two slipped through the net maybe, and ended up making it elsewhere.

Can you remember some of these names. I wonder where some of them went, and if they are still around.

I started following Speedway around 1961 so I'm only looking at riders around the time I have been following the sport.

Early sixties I recall Les Owen coming up through the ranks of the second half. Usually making appearences in the team as well at reserve on many occasions.

Eric Hokaday, Nick Nicholls, Arthur Wright, Bob Mark, Jim Tolley, Maurie Mattingly, Brian Meredth, Peter Brough, Col Smith, Colin Cottrell, Howie Booton, Fred Hodder, Gil Farmer, Pete Gay, Hasty Humphries, Tom Ridley, Roger Hill, Dave Callington, Chris Harrison, Tony Lomas, John Harrhy, Frank Smith, Roy Carter, Pete Bailey, Jeff Shirley, Tony Gillias, Kevin Hawkins, & Andy Hackett all spring to mind. Few I have mssed as well I'm sure.

Of those :

Hockaday in and out at reserve early sixties, went to Cradley if I remeber right.

Nicholls retired

Col Smith, Brian Meredth were invloved with veteran bike races many years after there stints in the 60's

Booton made the odd team appearence.

Farmer, Gay, tried out the BL 2nd division at Ipswich and Long Eaton

Cottrell made it and died of Luekemia in the end. He rode at Brandon for many years under Booey as coach before being allocated to Oxford where he lasted a year before retiring.

Hill came through after Cottrell, and Booey took him under his wings. Roger was still around Brandon in the 80's and 90's as a spectator on occasions, used to always stop by us and say hello. Friegthening crash on Rugby bend which result in him landing in terraces twice cut his career short.

Harrison made reserve before joining BL 2nd division was with Doncaster and Brummies at one time

Ridley - known as Tom Thumb was breaking into the team and looked a hot prospect. But then broke his thigh and disappeared completely. Would love to know what became of him.

Callington likewise, fractured skull, and retired.

After Hill a certain Tony Lomas shot through the ranks with ease, with his electric starting and made heat leader, before eventually moving to Exeter where he finished his career.

Harrhy came through, and went out to Division Two with Ipswich and Peterborough before returning to Brandon and making heat leader. Career ended in Owen Crash against Cradley Utd n '73.

Bailey went through with Harry to Ipswich, just making break through in Bees, and died in car accident outside Brandon Stadium.

Roy Carter lived down the road from me, and he made some progress before joining Panthers and finishing hs career at Div 2 level.

Kevin Hawkins a Peterborough lad that started in Bees 2nd halves and then rode for Panthers before moving up wth Bees.

Frank Smith a white line ride from Coventry who also went through connections with the Panthers

Andy Hackett of course, a pocket rocket, who like Olly Allen alas was injury prone, forcng him to retire

One that got away...

Programmed in the second half in August 1963 was a certain Ron Wilson Jnr.!! Ray Wilson will go down as a NAME that escaped us....there you go Gem!

Edited by Bee

Back in the early to mid 60s I can remember the likes of Roy Trigg (at New Cross) and Dave Jessup and Barry Thomas (at West Ham) coming up through the ranks. In the case of Jessup and Thomas I saw their first-ever ride in public and I remember thinking at the time that they were going to be good.

Conversely, if it hadn't been for the second half at New Cross, I would never have had the privilege of seeing Ron Johnson ride. He was, of course, well past it by 1960, but, nevertheless, it gave me my one chance of seeing Mr New Cross at the end of his long and very distinguished career.

Back in the early to mid 60s I can remember the likes of Roy Trigg (at New Cross) and Dave Jessup and Barry Thomas (at West Ham) coming up through the ranks. In the case of Jessup and Thomas I saw their first-ever ride in public and I remember thinking at the time that they were going to be good.

Conversely, if it hadn't been for the second half at New Cross, I would never have had the privilege of seeing Ron Johnson ride. He was, of course, well past it by 1960, but, nevertheless, it gave me my one chance of seeing Mr New Cross at the end of his long and very distinguished career.

Were you there the night we sadly saw Johnno fall off when Jim Chalkley came inside him on the pits bend? Not the sort of thing that would have happened to Johnno in his prime - he would have just moved over on 'Tiger Tim' and closed down his drive.

Edited by speedyguy

OK, So as a Coventry fan I often think back of the 'meaningless' second half scratch races and juniors coming through the scene. Usually local lads. Some made it. Some were cut short by injury. Some faded away and one or two slipped through the net maybe, and ended up making it elsewhere.

Can you remember some of these names. I wonder where some of them went, and if they are still around.

I started following Speedway around 1961 so I'm only looking at riders around the time I have been following the sport.

Early sixties I recall Les Owen coming up through the ranks of the second half. Usually making appearences in the team as well at reserve on many occasions.

Eric Hokaday, Nick Nicholls, Arthur Wright, Bob Mark, Jim Tolley, Maurie Mattingly, Brian Meredth, Peter Brough, Col Smith, Colin Cottrell, Howie Booton, Fred Hodder, Gil Farmer, Pete Gay, Hasty Humphries, Tom Ridley, Roger Hill, Dave Callington, Chris Harrison, Tony Lomas, John Harrhy, Frank Smith, Roy Carter, Pete Bailey, Jeff Shirley, Tony Gillias, Kevin Hawkins, & Andy Hackett all spring to mind. Few I have mssed as well I'm sure.

Of those :

Hockaday in and out at reserve early sixties, went to Cradley if I remeber right.

Nicholls retired

Col Smith, Brian Meredth were invloved with veteran bike races many years after there stints in the 60's

Booton made the odd team appearence.

Farmer, Gay, tried out the BL 2nd division at Ipswich and Long Eaton

Cottrell made it and died of Luekemia in the end. He rode at Brandon for many years under Booey as coach before being allocated to Oxford where he lasted a year before retiring.

Hill came through after Cottrell, and Booey took him under his wings. Roger was still around Brandon in the 80's and 90's as a spectator on occasions, used to always stop by us and say hello. Friegthening crash on Rugby bend which result in him landing in terraces twice cut his career short.

Harrison made reserve before joining BL 2nd division was with Doncaster and Brummies at one time

Ridley - known as Tom Thumb was breaking into the team and looked a hot prospect. But then broke his thigh and disappeared completely. Would love to know what became of him.

Callington likewise, fractured skull, and retired.

After Hill a certain Tony Lomas shot through the ranks with ease, with his electric starting and made heat leader, before eventually moving to Exeter where he finished his career.

Harrhy came through, and went out to Division Two with Ipswich and Peterborough before returning to Brandon and making heat leader. Career ended in Owen Crash against Cradley Utd n '73.

Bailey went through with Harry to Ipswich, just making break through in Bees, and died in car accident outside Brandon Stadium.

Roy Carter lived down the road from me, and he made some progress before joining Panthers and finishing hs career at Div 2 level.

Kevin Hawkins a Peterborough lad that started in Bees 2nd halves and then rode for Panthers before moving up wth Bees.

Frank Smith a white line ride from Coventry who also went through connections with the Panthers

Andy Hackett of course, a pocket rocket, who like Olly Allen alas was injury prone, forcng him to retire

One that got away...

Programmed in the second half in August 1963 was a certain Ron Wilson Jnr.!! Ray Wilson will go down as a NAME that escaped us....there you go Gem!

you forgot tony peasland

Were you there the night we sadly saw Johnno fall off when Jim Chalkley came inside him on the pits bend? Not the sort of thing that would have happened to Johnno in his prime - he would have just moved over on 'Tiger Tim' and closed down his drive.

An explanation please! :blink:

Actually Ron Johnson in his prime would probably have been half a lap in front of Jim C so there would have been no need for him to move anywhere

Excellent post Bee-Peter Brough now there is a name from the past. I knew Alf Elliott's son who lived in Vancouver and he used to tell me how Peter Brough who was stationes at St. Athan airforce base in Wales would give him a lift to Coventry meeting(Alf was a former rider at Wombwell and manager at Cardiff I think.)Anyone know how Peter is doing these days??

Excellent post Bee-Peter Brough now there is a name from the past. I knew Alf Elliott's son who lived in Vancouver and he used to tell me how Peter Brough who was stationes at St. Athan airforce base in Wales would give him a lift to Coventry meeting(Alf was a former rider at Wombwell and manager at Cardiff I think.)Anyone know how Peter is doing these days??

Wasn't there a second halfer by the name of Bob Bath triding back in the 60's,,,,, Any relation Bob??? LOL :shock:

Peter appears to be fit and well still very dapper and straight backed! and a regular in the pits on a Friday night.

Yes Norman. Just found a programme New Cross v. Wimbledon - Wednesday May the 18th 1960.

Event 2 'New Cross Trophy'. (First in heat to Final)

Split Waterman replaced by G. Goldfinch in Red. Bob Andrews Blue. Leo McAuliffe White. Ron Johnson Yellow.

Result: Blue, Red, White. Yellow it says 'off'.

Event 3. Junior Handicap. Jimmy Chalkley Red 10yrds. Keith Vale Blue 10yrds. Ron Johnson White Scratch.. Bill Wainwright Yellow Scratch.

Result: Blue, Yellow, Red. Time: 62secs. How Sad....

Yes Norman. Just found a programme New Cross v. Wimbledon - Wednesday May the 18th 1960.

Event 2 'New Cross Trophy'. (First in heat to Final)

Split Waterman replaced by G. Goldfinch in Red. Bob Andrews Blue. Leo McAuliffe White. Ron Johnson Yellow.

Result: Blue, Red, White. Yellow it says 'off'.

Event 3. Junior Handicap. Jimmy Chalkley Red 10yrds. Keith Vale Blue 10yrds. Ron Johnson White Scratch.. Bill Wainwright Yellow Scratch.

Result: Blue, Yellow, Red. Time: 62secs. How Sad....

Yes, that's the meeting I saw him in. As you say, very sad. Can you imagine Ron Johnson giving 10 yards to Jimmy Chalkley in his prime!? :shock:

Quite right Norman. Ron would have to give much more than 10 to make it worth watching. And I am not putting you down Jim if you read this.

Does anybody remember a rider from the second halfs at Belle Vue in the 1970's called Phil Whitaker? The announcer used to call him fearless Phil Whitaker and ask that anyone with a nervous disposition to look away for the next four laps :lol:

Does anybody remember a rider from the second halfs at Belle Vue in the 1970's called Phil Whitaker? The announcer used to call him fearless Phil Whitaker and ask that anyone with a nervous disposition to look away for the next four laps :lol:

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/index.cgi?...amp;thread=3110