British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedyguy

Scotland's Top 20

I thought Eric Liddell was the bloke from Chariots of Fire.....can't say i have ever heard of him in speedway..... :unsure:

Seems a reasonable top 5 although i would have thought Ken would be at no.2.And of course Miller seems to be the Scottish Brian Crutcher .Someone who shot onto the scene and disappeared just as quickly...i would say it was debatable who was better,the Templetons or Bert Harkins.I guess i would say Doug,then Bert and then Willie......in the bubbling unders

I thought Eric Liddell was the bloke from Chariots of Fire.....can't say i have ever heard of him in speedway..... :unsure:

Thats exactly what I thought, when I first saw the name, Iris, but didnt want to say anything :P Got to be honest it is a name I am not familiar with in Scottish speedway either :unsure:

Looking at the latest list, surely Kenny McKinna merits a higher placing than 14th :unsure: After a spectacular apprenticeship with the Tigers at Blantyre, he went on to give the Aces 5 solid years in the top flight, before returning home to spearhead the Stripes triumphant return to the city and he remained one of the top dogs in the lower league until his retirement 11 years later. The young Kenny McKinna was one of the most exciting riders I ever saw :approve:

Edited by mervjankefanclub

Thats exactly what I thought, when I first saw the name, Iris, but didnt want to say anything :P Got to be honest it is a name I am not familiar with in Scottish speedway either :unsure:

Same as me....i was waiting,then thought well no-one is going to mention it,i had better :wink:

I thought the same about Eric Liddell-Chariots of Fire-incidentally that Eric Liddell died in China in WW2-he was a missonary-the actor who played him in the movie whose name I have forgotten died also- very young- of AIDS I think-he was a well known gay(not that there's anything wrong with that)!!

I really think Ken McKinlay should be #1-longevity, Capt of West Ham in 1965 when they were Champs, several World Finals including 1969 when he was 41, and almost a dark horse winner in 1956-but for a fall he could have done it. No contest-I think the only other World Finalist is JimMcMillan(once as reserve I think).

Eric Liddell rode for Ashfield Glasgow between 1949 and 1953. in 1949 he scored 10 points for Scotland when they defeated Holland 62-22 in an unfofficial test match at Ashfield. He rode for Ashfield at a time when Keith Gurtner wore blue leathers and Merv Harding wore red leathers. Liddell was famous for wearing silver leathers.

Perhaps folk north of the border remember him more than the southerners - maybe that's why he's mentioned among Scotland's Top 20 in the various ratings lists appearing on

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway :unsure:

Edited by speedyguy

I really think Ken McKinlay should be #1-longevity, Capt of West Ham in 1965 when they were Champs, several World Finals including 1969 when he was 41, and almost a dark horse winner in 1956-but for a fall he could have done it. No contest-I think the only other World Finalist is JimMcMillan(once as reserve I think).

I agree. I can't see how anyone comes even close to Hurri-ken, let alone top him in a poll.

I thought the same about Eric Liddell-Chariots of Fire-incidentally that Eric Liddell died in China in WW2-he was a missonary-the actor who played him in the movie whose name I have forgotten died also- very young- of AIDS I think-he was a well known gay(not that there's anything wrong with that)!!

The actor was Ian Charleson.

Wasn't Ron Johnson born in Scotland? :unsure:

Just checked and he did also represent Scotland......so could be worthy of a place near the top of the 20 :unsure:

Edited by iris123

Wasn't Ron Johnson born in Scotland? :unsure:

Just checked and he did also represent Scotland......so could be worthy of a place near the top of the 20 :unsure:

That is amazing Doug, :) I was not aware of that. Was you Norman? Most certainly near the top if that is the case.

Wasnt Ron born in Perth. I was once told they mistook the Perth to be West Aussie and not Scotland so Ron rode for Australia in the 1930 Tests and it stuck for ever more. Bert Spencer was born in England and also rode for Australia after his parents took him when they went to Aussie and Bert came back in the 20s and was taken as Australian

According to Ron's mini-autobiography, he says, "I am a Scot by birth. In fact the folks are Scottish through and through, and descended from good old farming stock. Dad was working on a farm when I was born...The place - near Glasgow. I was an only child. I went to school at Paisley....When I was six we emigrated to Western Australia..."

According to Ron's mini-autobiography, he says, "I am a Scot by birth. In fact the folks are Scottish through and through, and descended from good old farming stock. Dad was working on a farm when I was born...The place - near Glasgow. I was an only child. I went to school at Paisley....When I was six we emigrated to Western Australia..."

I know wikipedia isnt always known for its accuracy, but that sounds about right.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Johnson_(speedway_rider)

.....I think we can claim him as "wan of oor ain" :approve:

Edited by mervjankefanclub

Really interesting thread this one. Sadly I was too young to see "Atomic Tommy" race but have listened to my parents waxing lyrical about his races with their hero Jack Young in packed stadiums racing wheel to wheel and the crowd roaring their men on to victory. Boy that must have been some sight to see!!! Saw Ken McKinlay race in the twilight of his career when he rode for West Ham in the late sixties and he could still produce the goods even then. So for me these two guys must be right up there at the top of the list. I was brought up watching Scottish Riders like George Hunter, Bert Harkins, Jimmy McMillan, the Templeton Brothers, Brian Collins, Bobby Beaton and the like, all of whom are deserving of top 20 places.Have to say I was surprised not to see Kenny McKinna in the top 10 as he was always a spectacular committed racer.

Have thoroughly enjoyed this thread - thanks for the memories :wink: