British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DarrenCook

Gb World Cup Team

I think that the introduction of the younger riders will only be good for their experince but what they need is a rider to lead from the front, with experience and a rider who will definately score 10+ points in each meeting. Unfortunately, Team GB don't have that 1 rider/ Rico comes closest but I don't think he is able to lead from the front and can be inconsistent like all the other GB riders. Will be interesting to see how this young team does against the very strong Aussie and Polish teams. Slovenia could score quite a few and surpise people as well

My opinion is Steve doesn't only want King to fail he wants Rob Lyon to fail as Rossiter was his preferred choice

Spot on in my opinion

Brave move naming a young team, but lets face it, even being held at Peternorough, Team GB wont beat Poland and Coventry even with Scott and Lee in.

The only worry in this must be the fact the team finishing fourth go out straight away and Slovenia will have Zagar and Vaculik in the team who could easily score 25 between them at EoES.

I sincerely hope not as that would be a major cheat.I would hope one of the officials is eagle eyed enough to spot that Vaculik has a Slovakian passport :blink::rolleyes:

I agree that Scott should not be in at Peterborough it's not a good track for him even when his form is good. King is a surprise, but he did well for them at home last season so i know where Rob Lyon is coming from.

Both Scott & Rico should be in for Leszno.

Does not matter who we have in the team for Peterborough, the Aussies will win it and GB and Poland will go through to the race off.

That's why Peterborough match is a boring event and you may as well give young riders experience. When it comes to the final, then that's a different matter.

Whatever the team selection .would it not be possible to arrange a match for them at the peterborough track before the qualifier? They could pick a team to give them a decent practise,or is that to simplistic.Just a thought

The danes are gating tarts that what wins you world cups not being half a lap behind trying hard .

King can't even beat Stuart Robson on his own track but now we put him v Gollob and Co but hey it better to try hard and score 0 rather then score 10 or 12 points by making good starts .

nicholls and rico would score 10 or 12?

nicholls and rico would score 10 or 12?

Rico would most probably score 10 or 12 which I think that's who orion was referring too.

As orion said and he is spot on with, you need to be able to gate to have any chance of scoring decent points at the Top level and the only british rider who's any good at that is Rico.

Edited by leighrico

So is Chris Harris the new captain of GB :wink:

If I remember correctly Scott was named as Captain when the squad was announced.

So maybe its now up to Scott to show his true British Colours.

He doesnt need to ride to captain the team, just be there and support the boys and Rob.

I really hope he is there with the squad along with all he other riders named!!!!

Everyone has written us off before we even turn up - I just hope the team are reading this - it may just spur them on!!! :lol:

Richardson is currently our best rider. The guy doesn't have a clue.

Totally agree Steve. If there isn't an underlying reason why Rico hasn't been selected then this is a joke decision from a comedy manager. :rolleyes:

King a kid? We are waiving the white flag already with this choice.

I said when Lyon was appointed it was madness and so it is proving. He has no experience outside the PL and it's showing through like a beacon..

Surprise, surprise. EL fans putting the boot in.

I would have thought it was obvious to anyone that Rob Lyon knows exactly what he is doing and has chosen to blood our younger riders.

That doesn't necessarily mean that he is right, though............

Rubbish,(to Gemmilou) riders need to earn their places in the team and just because they are young doesn't mean they should be given a chance. I am all for bringing in the youngsters, but surely you put your best team out for the WTC.

If Lyon wants to blood youngsters, get some internationals organised.

.............. because I agree with you here.

While I am all for striking a balance between youth & ability, Richardson is our best rider at the moment and you just don't leave your best rider out - regardless of his age.

I am going to an U21 Test match at King's Lynn a week on Saturday.................

but this is the trouble isnt it?

In Denmark you wouldnt just be given the green light for some friendly internationals for the kids .......you would find yourself with a budget bigger than youd know what to do with and the authorities bending over backwards to accomodate the extra fixtures

In Britain it would centre around a congested fixture list and just how much a promoter is willing to risk injury to his valuable rider.............. and we all know the answer to that one........

It is no suprise for me that our national teams struggle financially when the authorities themselves have shown for far too long that they just dont care ..... if they dont care why should sponsors? why should the riders?

Someone has said that Rob Lyon is looking into arranging some friendly fixtures...... well *newsflash* its practically July....... any particular reason for leaving it what is almost certainly impossibly late?

I truly hope that this decision indicates that Rob Lyon has some backing behind him on this one and that the promoters are serious about a positive future ......because like most things they rule on this cannot be allowed to be a decision made on a whim and instead be the start of a more solid plan that is backed up at league level

Anyone any idea what the Slovenian team is likely to be?

The Slovenian team:

Matej Zagar

Maks Gregoric

Izak Santej

Denis Stojs

Aleksander Conda

The only worry in this must be the fact the team finishing fourth go out straight away and Slovenia will have Zagar and Vaculik in the team who could easily score 25 between them at EoES.

Surely Vaculik hasn't done a Holta!

Guest Ashie Smashy
So the youngsters are in. You would think Scott and Rico are pensionable age. They are 30 at most with a lot of years ahead. Hancock is 39, Gollob roughly the same.

You are not seriously comparing Scott and Richardson to Hancock and Gollob? There is a reason the latter are able to race long into their twilight years, and that is because they have class oozing out of them in speedway terms.