British Speedway Forum

A rider actually said it in an interview once years ago. If a rider is quicker and is going to pass you, you may as well let him work for it and leave a bit of room rather than both ending up in the fence and out for weeks. He then went on to say the Americans were the most gentlemanly when leaving room, the Brits were the worst for closing the gap. Perhaps it just doesn't happen anymore, hence why nobody has heard of it.

Well as a former rider.... and I dont mean this to sound nasty, But What A Load of Cobblers.

There is and never has been a gentlemans agreement like the one you state.

Quite simply, we are there to race, if rider X is behind and faster, its down to him to

find a way past, not for the leading rider to move over.

During my career, I quite often found myself behind, not a very good gater you see, and

at no point did I get left any room to pass deliberatley. I had to use my head and work out where on track I could pass, looked for any mistakes or where the leading rider was having problems negotiating bends etc. Its called Track craft...!!

Yes some riders will leave a 'Fair' gap to race. a good example used to be Chris Louis

and Mark Loram, who would leave eachother room to race fairly, but wouldnt leave big

gaps deliberately, it was a common respect for eachother.

But never have any riders, to my knowledge, had a gentlemans agreement on that score.

Edited by tomcat

Are you drunk SCB?

That seems slightly out of character from you!

Not really.

In what way? I've never liked Nicki, in 1998 he comes to Newport twice and wiped out Wato 3 times, I have along memory. I can't stand Nicki. He is a great rider. I'll pay to watch him. He can do amazing things. Sadly, he is a nut job who does (or has done) far too many silly things so I'll always have a smile/laugh when he falls/crashes.

edit> I didn't want to see him injured, I'm not than nasty.

Edited by SCB

I can't stand Nicki.

I did laugh when he was taken out.

The Russian lifted and took him out and had to go.

I don't regret laughing.

Shawn,that was a nasty crash,and there was nobody at fault in my opinion,but my daughter said it was Nicki P`s because he was never going get to around him from that position.

Must admit to thinking it wasn`t a bad meeting in the end,the Russians thoroughly deserved to go through.

edit> I didn't want to see him injured, I'm not than nasty.

That was the important part that you left out earlier.

The lack of a comment like that was what seemed out of character....

As I said earlier in the thread...I was shouting at the TV for Greg to close the door and hang Nicki out, and I was kinda happy that he DID do that, but as soon as I saw the replays and it was clear that Nicki had been hurt I was feeling bad for asking for that...

I hope you realise it`s an art that not everybody can accomplish :wink: ........especially the English :wink::lol:

Edited by AndyM

to be world champion you also have to avoid injury...... even a Neilsen special slide off can result in injury...... its been a dangerous game he has been playing

all that said hopefully his injuries are not too serious

Incredible performance by the Russians and a pretty good meeting all told with some interesting lines and decent racing

Mr Snapper..... i'm interested how much of that you felt was team spirit and how much was machinery? There is no doubt that the Russians' tails were up but imo the machinery was bang on right from the start....... and once again Emil's machinery was head and shoulders above anyone else

If you watch Sajfutdinov and the rest of the russians they were trying to straighten up quickly after coming off the bends - this can give a dramatic boost to speed. And is something Emil has a great skill for - this guy really knows how to ride the bike and switching from inside to outside in such a fluid motion.

i dont think its solely down to machinery again - how would you just get a whole teams bikes to ride great. Its called getting the right gearing for the track more than anything. If your riding smoothly you will gain a lot of speed - the track looked nice and smooth and with a little bit of rain it would give that extra bit of grip.

They rode as a team, they tell each other everything. I saw this team in Latvia when I was there with Team Usa a few seasons back in a qualifier and they are so professional in their approach - the work off each other - and think their hard work is now starting to pay off.

Not taking it away from them but - the other teams did seam very lack lustre - the only rider who looked the business was Bjerre. Even Lukas Dryml was asleep until near the end.

These guys have the old school / very eastern block mentality which means they themselves are like machines.

Thought this meeting was pretty good and well done to Russia. But why was Emil the only russian not to be in team Kevlars?

They had them made last season - they were not new - he has new sponsors this season, so would want to advertise them.

If you watch Sajfutdinov and the rest of the russians they were trying to straighten up quickly after coming off the bends - this can give a dramatic boost to speed. And is something Emil has a great skill for - this guy really knows how to ride the bike and switching from inside to outside in such a fluid motion.

I agree entirely. Emil knows how to ride a speedway bike to get the best out of it. You just need to look at the race with him and PUK tonight where he got the bike straight out of turn 2 and leaned back earlier despite being on a ridiculously tight line inside PUK who thought he was already on the line.

However, from what I have been told he also knows exactly what he wants from his bike, and can give great information to his crew, which has to help a lot.

The rest of the Russian team just lifted their game tonight. Denis, Gaffer and RoPo were doing what they do best....I don't think any of those guys looked particularly fast on the track, but they were working their strengths perfectly tonight. Sometimes it's not just about the bikes....it's about what the lump of flesh sitting atop it does with it!

I sincerely hope you are joking!!! Nicki Pedersen is behind the Russian rider going for a gap that is closing rapidly, the sensible thing to do would of been to turn the throttle forward to reduce the speed and cut inside. Or if you are serious in your comments then you are as thick as Nicki Pedersen in thinking that the throttle only goes one way.

After almost forty years of watching speedway their now seems to be a lot of fans who don't know anything about a speedway bike or a riders positioning on the track.

Nicki Pedersen cost his nation a fair crack at a direct place in the world cup final.

END OF RANT!!! :mad:

Something to note - if you turn the throttle forward you can actually increase speed as the rear wheel catches up with the engine.

The same principal is applied to get the bikes to slide in the corners, whereby the throttle is blipped (a quick snap forward and back) to give the rear wheel the required boost to break away and slide.

To slow you have to roll the throttle off by about half and that could have made him drop off a lot - especially as they were entering the bend where you need an increase in speed. He was sort of in no mans land, although he could've avoided the crash...

I was more surprised that Nicki didnt switch to the inside and it did look as if he was going down that path and yet stuck to the outside and went for a gap that wasnt there.

I was more surprised that Nicki didnt switch to the inside and it did look as if he was going down that path and yet stuck to the outside and went for a gap that wasnt there.
You're an expert at everything, you now even seem to know more than a multi World Champion. Edited by AndyM

LOL SCB i have been waiting for someone to comment on Snappers "i will answer everything" mentallity. From claiming to know exactly what is in peoples drinks to how they wipe there arse.

Anyway well done to the Russians i dont think anyone seen that coming against the Danes and Swedes. Would of been a totally different ball game had Nicki been able to continue. Im not even going to comment on the crash it was a racing incident where next week the exact same incident will be awarded the other way.

Hope the Danes get their team and themselves sorted for the race off.

QUOTE (SUPERACE @ Jul 11 2009, 09:28 PM)

Thought this meeting was pretty good and well done to Russia. But why was Emil the only russian not to be in team Kevlars?

They had them made last season - they were not new - he has new sponsors this season, so would want to advertise them.

Or perhaps more importantly, Emil was by wearing the black kevlars riding illegally, strange, but true.

What a fantastic meeting. Brilliant result for the Russians, and a superb show from Bjerre. I'd say the Laguta/Pedersen decision was right, but it was a marginal one.

With international speedway dominated by a few nations predictability is one of the sport's greatest enemies. I've been expecting the Russians to do this, but not for another 3 or 4 years when Artem Laguta and Vodyakov are ready to compete at the top level. This result really gives the World Cup a shot in the arm.

The only downside is the dreary abuse that seems to dominate this thread. Dooraki

You're a idiot expert at everything, you now even seem to know more than a multi World Champion.

Waaah! My IRONY-O-METER has exploderated!

Well as a former rider.... and I dont mean this to sound nasty, But What A Load of Cobblers.

There is and never has been a gentlemans agreement like the one you state.

Quite simply, we are there to race, if rider X is behind and faster, its down to him to

find a way past, not for the leading rider to move over.

During my career, I quite often found myself behind, not a very good gater you see, and

at no point did I get left any room to pass deliberatley. I had to use my head and work out where on track I could pass, looked for any mistakes or where the leading rider was having problems negotiating bends etc. Its called Track craft...!!

Yes some riders will leave a 'Fair' gap to race. a good example used to be Chris Louis

and Mark Loram, who would leave eachother room to race fairly, but wouldnt leave big

gaps deliberately, it was a common respect for eachother.

But never have any riders, to my knowledge, had a gentlemans agreement on that score.

Cheers tomcat, much appreciated :wink: ... so some riders have a common respect for each other, which may have been what the rider in the interview was eluding about years ago. :oops:

Can't imagine many riders having a common respect for Nicki P.

Edited by Deano