British Speedway Forum
CookieMonster

Should World Cup Teams Be Allowed Reserves

Clearly they should be when a country loses a rider like the Danes did last night.

But if I remember right the 6th rider was done away with following teams abusing the facility a couple of years ago.

Clearly they should be when a country loses a rider like the Danes did last night.

But if I remember right the 6th rider was done away with following teams abusing the facility a couple of years ago.

Hang on - this isn't going to turn into a Poole thread is it?

as Henry said last night a reserve being used tactically is a better farce than a team having an incomplete team

but there has to be a way of making sure that using a reserve is a drop on what is already in the team

No, the teams only have themselves to blame why there are none.

Of course ALL teams should be allowed reserves. Last night case was just one of many that has happened in the past, and it completely spoiled Denmark's chance of qualifying. But congratulations to Russia in getting to the final, I think that they deserved their victory.

I do Hope Nicki is back racing again soon, whether you like him or not, I don't like too see any rider getting injured.

Come on you BRITS

Edited by Robbie B

QUOTE (Robbie B @ Jul 12 2009, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course ALL teams should be allowed reserves. Last night case was just one of many that has happened in the past, and it completely spoiled Denmark's chance of qualifying. But congratulations to Russia in getting to the final, I think that they deserved their victory.

I do Hope Nicki is back racing again soon, whether you like him or not, I don't like too see any rider getting injured.

Come on you BRITS

Not only last night - last year, the Aussies lost Crump in his first heat, so they were in the same situation.

If they do bring back having a reserve rider, there have to be stricter rules about their use because it was abused the last time. That is why it was stopped.

Yes of course there should be a reserve allowed, but he should only be allowed to ride as the result of a crash by a team mate who is too injured to continue. If anyone develops a case of "Joe Screen Shoulder", an injury that they "aggravate" during the meeting that they had before then tough t*t*y! That's the chance the team takes in selecting that rider in the first place!

The answer is yes, but there must be certain guidelines as to how a reserve can be used, such as we seen last night.

It must be very clear that a reserve can only be used if a rider becomes unfit to race during the meeting as the result of an incident.

Edited by colincooke

The answer is yes, but there must be certain guidelines as to how a reserve can be used, such as we seen last night.

It must be very clear that a reserve can only be used if a rider becomes unfit to race during the meeting as the result of an incident.

Sorry, but would that not be even more ridiculous?

Imagine a situation where a rider takes ill during the match and you then have to witness the farce of a team going without a rider despite them having a reserve standing there watching!

Now, now - since when did speedway ever use common sense and logic like that ??? :wink::wink:

Why not allow a reserve rider, but once the reserve has taken the ride of a rider, they must take all that riders remaining rides, and no others (except TS rides). Therefore say Denmark had Korneliussen as a reserve, he could have taken Nicki's remaining 3 rides.

Equally if a team wanted to use the system tactically they could. For example Australia could name Crump at 6, but he couldn't take a rider's first programmed ride but could for example replace Sullivan in his second ride. But from that point on Crump would replace Sullivan throughout the meeting.

Making a reserve in effect take all the rides of the rider he replaces sort of negates any tactical advantage which could be made.

Simple answer has to be YES.

The reserve should only be allowed to take ONE ride in each group of 5, and should not be allowed to ride for double points.