British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bellers101

Ole Olsen Track Prep

there is no hat eating here Iris......... ive never doubted Ole's commitment or organisational skills.......... and it tells me a lot that no one was paid the grand sum of a couple of notes to clean down those banners.......maybe because they weren't expected to be dirty?

If he had something to do with the track then hats off to him but as someone who had the privelige of watching behind the scenes events during 2006 SWC I can confirm that despite the blazing sun over Smallmead not a drop of water touched the track from mid day and it was obvious that the baked crust was just going to develop into dust and be pushed away from a blue groove.....as it did.................... that track should have been watered regularly throughout the day and in speedway terms, for a world cup, it was negligence ........... the Poles were not happy about it and subsequently didnt qualify from the race off ...... the Danes loved it in the final and went on to win........... this kind of track prep does not create the racing we saw the other night and if he was responsible for controlling the flow of water that day then thank heavens for the shower and lets hope Leszno has had one

Might be better for the usual track staff at the permanent tracks to prepare the surface as per normal and not bring in an outside team or let Olsen dictate as much as he does. The local track staff surely know what they are doing, they have had enough practice.

The Polish tracks used in the GP are renowned for providing good racing yet in the lastest GPs they are packed down solid by Olsens team. :cry:

This topic has been done to death,Im in total agreement with you about Olsen but the fact is if the powers that be choose to do nothing then we are left with this borefest.He has turned a meeting with a chance to see great racing into a gateing competition.

Well so far i think Ole has done a good job with the tracks.The meetings have been pretty good.Obviously the riders have to do their job as well,and if you get a heat with Crump up against a few youngsters you are never likely to get Crump being pushed all the way...Peterborough was a one-off.You don't get many meetings that good in a lifetime.And it was good that Ole managed to get the ref to have a re-run.But i wonder why appoint a ref who from what Stekkers said can't really comunicate in english?What other common language do all the teams in the SWC have? :blink:

Edited by iris123

Well so far i think Ole has done a good job with the tracks.The meetings have been pretty good.Obviously the riders have to do their job as well,and if you get a heat with Crump up against a few youngsters you are never likely to get Crump being pushed all the way...Peterborough was a one-off.You don't get many meetings that good in a lifetime.And it was good that Ole managed to get the ref to have a re-run.But i wonder why appoint a ref who from what Stekkers said can't really comunicate in english?What other common language do all the teams in the SWC have? :blink:

Really iris!? Do you not think the GP's have been a huge let down in terms of entertainment? One or two decent tracks doesn't cut it for me, GP's should be staged on quality race tracks every time.

From what I've been told, Ole wasn't overly pleased with Buster on Monday and was on the radio regularly to try and stop Buster doing it his way. I can't say that is fact as I wasn't there or part of the conversations, but I'm told that at times, Ole looked furious.

Really iris!? Do you not think the GP's have been a huge let down in terms of entertainment? One or two decent tracks doesn't cut it for me, GP's should be staged on quality race tracks every time.

From what I've been told, Ole wasn't overly pleased with Buster on Monday and was on the radio regularly to try and stop Buster doing it his way. I can't say that is fact as I wasn't there or part of the conversations, but I'm told that at times, Ole looked furious.

Yes i agree with the GP's.Sorry for the misunderstanding.I was talking specifically about the SWC,which i think has been great entertainment so far.And has been over the years.Like i say,to a certain extent that has to be down to the riders.The different mix of riders compared to the GP's.If Ole is looking after the GP's and SWC meetings over the years why is there to an extent a difference?I would say down to the riders and not down to Olsen's track prep.Look at the Russian effort or danny King in Peterborough and Tai,Nicolai and Patrick last night....

Edited by iris123

Totally agree. Do we know what Ole's grounds for disagreement were?

I've been against slick tracks for GPs and the prep of the Showground showed why but is there another reason? Having visited KL some weeks ago for a stock car meeting getting covered with shale and dust is not everyone's idea of fun. It maybe ok for the enthusiast but not for newcomers. So is that in their minds?

I always thought that speedway was raced on a dirt track!.........so why was the track at Lesznow scraped bare, and the dirt piled up against the fence like a giant snow drift?....... could it be to help any rider trying the wide line, to launch him up and over the fence.......yes, that could be it.....add's to the excitement don't you think. Think it's about time the public demanded a return to proper speedway tracks.....with dirt on them! We're sick to death of Ole Olsen tracks, time to go, we're sick of you.

I'll be honest I didnt think the racing was bad last night and as per usual Leszno provided at least a couple of different lines................... but this is Leszno we are talking about and I think you could prepare the track with your eyes closed and it still provide the bare minimum

The track was bare last night and to date we still havent seen a Leszno anywhere near to its best........ and the simple question is why? We are talking about one of the most highly regarded tracks in history and in 3 years of regular GP and SWC use it has been prepared slickly each time

like I said I thought the racing was decent but why once again limit things at Leszno?

Could be wrong be I'm sure I have an old Backtrack mag where Olsen is interviewed and suggests speedway could/should be run on tarmac tracks or something similar.

Will have to see if I can dig it out. If my memory is correct the GP certainly seem to be heading that way.

I remembered that...Yes found Backtrack mag issue 24 Jan/Feb 2008 page 11 quote " wishes to revolutionise the sport by having different type of track surface maybe a permanent synthetic surface which would eliminate dust and no need then to water the track........heheeee he back to the recipe for slickness is he???

Must read the full article tonight.

I've been against slick tracks for GPs and the prep of the Showground showed why but is there another reason? Having visited KL some weeks ago for a stock car meeting getting covered with shale and dust is not everyone's idea of fun. It maybe ok for the enthusiast but not for newcomers. So is that in their minds?

There is no excuse for dust at any meeting, stockcars or speedway, any time of day night/weather conditions. Dust is simply due to poor preparation and care during the meeting and shows poor regard for fans.

There is no excuse for dust at any meeting, stockcars or speedway, any time of day night/weather conditions. Dust is simply due to poor preparation and care during the meeting and shows poor regard for fans.

What about a hot summers day with the sun beating down on the track from the early hours of the morning with a gentle breeze blowing across the track..........your comment lacks respect to all the track curators up and down the country.........do you actually know what you are talking about? When it comes to track preperation, I don't, that's why I reserve judgement when a track is dusty (despite hating it as much as you)..........I agree that dust isn't great but to say "there is no excuse for dust at any meeting" and "dust is simply due to poor preperation" is out of order.

Yes i agree with the GP's.Sorry for the misunderstanding.I was talking specifically about the SWC,which i think has been great entertainment so far.And has been over the years.Like i say,to a certain extent that has to be down to the riders.The different mix of riders compared to the GP's.If Ole is looking after the GP's and SWC meetings over the years why is there to an extent a difference?I would say down to the riders and not down to Olsen's track prep.Look at the Russian effort or danny King in Peterborough and Tai,Nicolai and Patrick last night....

Nothing to do with the disparity in quality of riders in the GP's of course....

As I stated before, Buster done what he wanted at P,Boro. Watching the meeting again on tv, you can see them wanting to go to the racing and the tractor was still out there.!!

Its obvious that Olsen or BSI do not really give a toss as to what the fans want. However why can't the riders get together and state if track prep doesn't change then they wont race.

Definitely time for a fan rebellion. What's the best way to set up a poll or a petition?