British Speedway Forum
Anders

Scandal In Ostrow?

I have been trying to get a grip with the situation in Ostrow tonight, where Ostrow should have meet Gniezno in a Liga 1 meeting. From what I have been able to find out by translating several of the news articles on Sportowefakty.pl by Google Translate; Both teams found the track unsafe, referee Marek Wojaczek didn't, and when the teams refused to ride, Mr. Wojaczek deemed that both teams have surrended the meeting by Walk Over status! There are also talks of riots after the meetings, with fans fighting with the police!

Sounds chocking! Could any of our Polish forum members confirm that I have understood it correct? :unsure: I would be interesting to find out what will happen with this meeting, and so on...

Ive been hearing Ostrow has gone bust and riders havent been paid - that is why the meeting didnt go ahead????

Off topic...But I see in your siggy... You returning to the track in 2010?

Good Luck to you young fella if you are.

Back on topic.... Hope the rumours aren't true.

Tracks seem to be going bust all over the shop right now.

Smederna bankrupt in Sweden, now Ostrow in financial difficulties apparently.

Who's next??

I have been trying to get a grip with the situation in Ostrow tonight, where Ostrow should have meet Gniezno in a Liga 1 meeting. From what I have been able to find out by translating several of the news articles on Sportowefakty.pl by Google Translate; Both teams found the track unsafe, referee Marek Wojaczek didn't, and when the teams refused to ride, Mr. Wojaczek deemed that both teams have surrended the meeting by Walk Over status! There are also talks of riots after the meetings, with fans fighting with the police!

Sounds chocking! Could any of our Polish forum members confirm that I have understood it correct? :unsure: I would be interesting to find out what will happen with this meeting, and so on...

I have just read the article on sportowefakty after mine return from Toruń's match and I am pretty suprised. Basically this what article says. How savere the riot was I have no idea. Though from the relation doesn't sound very nice but I hope it wasn't so bad. Article implicates that coach and managment of Ostrów wanted to ride the meeting. It's not clear if the Ostrów hadn't been on stake of bankruptcy their riders would have ridden in the meeting. Wojaczek threat that all riders can be suspended. There should be more news about it soon .

We heard from the TravelPlus fans who went there after SWC that the Cops wouldn't let them off the bus due to the visiting fans rioting - apparently the riders thought the track was unsafe and the fans went off! Riot Police were in attendance - fun & games!!

There's a lot more than just an unsafe track.

First of all - the track condition:

http://anna-klopocka.lua.pl/IMG_2258_16.42.JPG

http://www.sportowefakty.pl/zuzel/2009/07/...erbowy-skandal/

Looks quite good, especially in comparison to what happened in Leszno, but the truth is that Ostrow's coach Janusz Stachyra is a well known agricultural hardware user so the water is sinking in his kind of track very well, instead of staying out making it possible to be washed out of the track like in Leszno. The weather forecast was obvious.

So, in result all of riders (or almost all of them - depends on source publicizing the infos) were against of riding. But looks like the referee thought he was smarter and had decided the track was not as bad, announced start of the meeting, no one came out, both sides walk-over granted :blink:

But there are also financial problems of Ostrow. It is said, that some of riders (for sure not all of them) haven't been paid this season at all (!) and from the very begging they're riding for "free". But looks like it's not the matter of this recent worldwide subprime mortgage crisis - I've read at Ostrow's forum that they are still paying last years obligations (Ostrow was also involved in serious corrupt affair).

From what they're writing on their forum I assume also that those "riots" were a bit over-coloured by media.

Off topic...But I see in your siggy... You returning to the track in 2010?

Good Luck to you young fella if you are.

Back on topic.... Hope the rumours aren't true.

Tracks seem to be going bust all over the shop right now.

Smederna bankrupt in Sweden, now Ostrow in financial difficulties apparently.

Who's next??

Thought i read Gdansk were having trouble as well :unsure:

Yes....jut found this about Gdansk owing Hans and Kenneth a fair bit of dosh.....Gdansk

Edited by iris123

Both teams found the track unsafe, referee Marek Wojaczek didn't, and when the teams refused to ride, Mr. Wojaczek deemed that both teams have surrended the meeting by Walk Over status! There are also talks of riots after the meetings, with fans fighting with the police!

All of the above is true. The ref called Walk Over to both sides after claiming that the track was ok to ride despite riders' protests. Basically, the guy who never rode speedway in his life seems to know better than the ones who do it on regular basis. Wojaczek showed many times that he enjoys being on the top of things even if these things should be left alone and go by itself.

And yes, there were some riots after the meeting. Not sure of the details but there were fights between fans and police which is kind of normal stuff in Poland at sport events.

I was at the meeting, they tried for 2 hours to make the track rideable. The riders just were'nt interested, it did appear very soft and if a sensible ref was in charge it would have probably be called off a lot earlier. Wojaczek was his usual arrogant self, almost ignoring the riders, he told them they had to ride but they all refused, he then threatened them with £5000 fine and 12 month suspension, this is when some of the poles got worried, but they rang the PZM and were told that the ref has no power to do that. There were no prima-donnas out there, and bomber appeared to be the main spokesperson for the riders, i spoke to bomber at poznan airport this morning, and he said if it had been ok they would have given it a go, but it was just not raceable. At one time they had 9 cars, 3 vans, a pick-up and the water track trying to harden the track up, while the two graders tackled the heavy stuff. It had been dry and sunny for hours, but the damage was done a lot earlier, and when a taxi leaves grooves in a track, then you know it's too soft. But at least we didn't get wet.

Reading the various posts and links regarding clubs owing riders money etc., I must say that I am disturbed that some British riders choose to ride in re-arranged Polish fixtures. Surely they would have the sense to look after their British clubs first and foremost as apart from a slight hiccup last season with one particular club it is rarely that you hear of riders not being paid by British clubs.

It would appear that some riders have had a good run on the Continent, perhaps the gravy train is coming off the rails and soon they will have to live in the real world.

Reading the various posts and links regarding clubs owing riders money etc., I must say that I am disturbed that some British riders choose to ride in re-arranged Polish fixtures. Surely they would have the sense to look after their British clubs first and foremost as apart from a slight hiccup last season with one particular club it is rarely that you hear of riders not being paid by British clubs.

It would appear that some riders have had a good run on the Continent, perhaps the gravy train is coming off the rails and soon they will have to live in the real world.

Theres been a hiccup every year in British league hasnt there????

Oxford for 2 seasons

Reading 2 seasons

Pboro

etc etc

I dont understand why when the match is done the riders dont get paid the points money there and then...

thats really how it should be

Theres been a hiccup every year in British league hasnt there????

Oxford for 2 seasons

Reading 2 seasons

Pboro

etc etc

I dont understand why when the match is done the riders dont get paid the points money there and then...

thats really how it should be

As the same man was/is responsible for two of these, it probably looks worse than it is.

If the BSPA had had any balls at time and dealt with him, the second would not have taken place maybe :mad:

Any truth in the rumer that Chris harris & Danny King have been banned for a year in Poland

Any truth in the rumer that Chris harris & Danny King have been banned for a year in Poland

Tell us where you got the rumour from and we may be able to add more to this topic!

Tell us where you got the rumour from and we may be able to add more to this topic!

Sandie

A mate of mine said he read it in three news papers this morning.

Regards Tony