British Speedway Forum
Undercover Elephant

Thoughts On Tai Woffenden Wearing An Aussie Shirt In The Pits

That is correct.

But still.....Ivan is surely the only rider to win an FIM Gold medal for 2 different countries :unsure:

Briggo and Moore? :unsure:

This thread is so pathetic. How many British speedway supporters have been to a big individual meeting with British riders taking part only to support a foreign rider who rides for their club. I was lucky enough to experience Wembley back in the 70's and early 80's and there was always massive support for the Americans and Danes from British supporters who happened to support the clubs those riders rode for.

I am British through and through, I will always support a British rider over a foreign rider, but what Tai did on Sunday was not on the track and was not whilst Team GB were still riding. Therefore it has no relevance to Team GB.

At the end of the day Tai earns his living in Speedway and lets face it the window of opportunity is not that big and he needs to earn money full stop. If Tai wins a big event in the future and claims the success to be down to experiences gained from helping Team Aus, or any other team, will you all slag him off again or will you celebrate a British success.

Spot on post!!

I wouldn't blame him, if he does have until he's 21, to decide to ride for the Aussies. The likes of the person who started this bullcrap in the first place, are the ones who will ultimately drive him to do it. It does seem he is open to criticism for almost everything he does, or doesnt, do. I'm sure those who do it, will be very happy if he decides to chose the Aussies over GB. It will be something else to slate him for. Mugs.

Cant see him swapping, as an english rider he can look forward to being national champion a faster route to the gp's and average reductions as an Australian he will be a good rider in a larger pool of good riders, Crump Adams Holder Ward Watt Schlien plus all of the other up and coming Aussies...

Mauger, Moore & Briggs all rode for Great Britain until 1973 (I think) when the national team changed their name to England and decided to use English riders only. Dunno why those 3 never rode for New Zealand at the time though, don't believe NZ weren't recognised internationally until 1974 or so.

As for Tai, whilst not particularly defending him, after Team GB never made the SWC Final he would effectively have been kicking his heels so probably decided to help some mates and gain experience watching how the likes of Adams and Crump preapre for a World Final thereby continuing his speedway education. Your team club/country team mates aren't necessarily your chosen pals and riders from other clubs can often be seen at meets all over the country helping out other riders. In other words, you might get on ok with your work mates and enjoy a swift pint with them after work but you may not hang with them as first choice....

Briggo and Moore? :unsure:

I don't think so(although for sure his individual titles were won for NZ.But i was meaning team events).But Ronnie is a perfect example being born in Australia and representing both Australia and New Zealand at test level and also GB.....i don't think he ever got the sort of stick that Tai is getting on this thread.I think all the teams were happy to have him and all the fans as well.Oh for the days before the internet moaners :blink:

Edited by iris123

What does it matter .... if he wears a Team Aussie t-shirt. Speedway is not like football - riders can represent 3/4 teams, ride as a guest for other clubs . If you really want to jump up and down , Tai has got an australian flag tattoo on his shoulder !!

imagine just a case of him sitting in the pits helping a mate out and told to wear a Team Aussie tshirt ....

Like I said on the other thread, seems a classsic case of a 'mountain being made out of a mole hill' on here.

It seems by a minor number of people the positives are constantly ignored when an oppurtunity for a good whingeing session arises.

What has Tai lost by this experience? Very little. I'm sure the other riders in team GB along with many of the fans aren't too bothered about Tai assiting a a rider he had most likely grew up with, considering GB were out at this stage. Australia being the country who brought him through their system, taught him a trade and helped him progress to his current level. He may feel he owes Australia, his assistance being recognition of how they have helped him in his career.

What has he gained? Experience of the kind of set-ups requried for the World cup. What goes on behind the scenes. Riding as an individual yet still focusing on the success of the team.

ALL personnel within the pits were to wear a team's shirt, whether that be riders or mechanics. If he wanted to ride for the Aussie's he could, yet he chose to ride for GB. With the 'support' shown for him on this thread, I wouldn't have chosen GB. Yes, Tai can "F-off to Australia" and we can replace him with one of the large extent of young talent coming through our well-organised British system, there's just too many replacements to choose from :rolleyes: We can discount the 8 points he scored for us in the race-off, and turn him away from team GB. The cup will be ours in no time! :blink:

Unbelievable that such a big deal can be made out of this, but then agian I suppose I shouldn't be that suprised!

So the young lad who grew up in Australia, has an Aussie accent, a tattoo he's had since he was about 16 chose to help out some Aussie mates. Big bloody deal.

He was born in Britain, to British parents I assume? I know he's lived in Oz nearly all his life and probably considers himself a bit of both, but at the end of the day he chose to ride for GB, thats all that matters. He said that he chose Britain because although he loves Australia, he still feel British. That says enough for me.

There are plenty of Brits who go to GP's to support non Brit riders. Does this mean they should be lambasted in a similar way?

So as a member of the GB team, is the 'crime' of wearing an Aussie shirt worse than 'losing your passport' to avoid riding for your British team? Inquiring minds need to know?!

So as a member of the GB team, is the 'crime' of wearing an Aussie shirt worse than 'losing your passport' to avoid riding for your British team? Inquiring minds need to know?!

Definately not, Tai has done nothing wrong, Bridger might have though :lol:

I have to say that I think some of the posts on here are very disappointing. I met Tai for the first time on Saturday and he came across as a really nice lad that has to bear a hell of a lot of expectation from all supporters of British speedway. Tai is very much the future of our once proud speedway nation and has a lot to live up to in the next 10, 15 maybe 20 years as he hopefully achieves everything that we so want and need him to.

Tai wearing the Aussie team colours is no different to all the mechanics working for riders of different nations to their own. Emil Sajfutdinov for instance, has Ashley Holloway and other Polish mechanics in his team. I don't see anybody questioning their national loyalty.

It would be nice if we could all get behind Tai and the other young Brits instead of bickering over the T-shirt he was wearing on Saturday night.

Regarding the comparisons to football, speedway has never been as tribal, which amongst other things makes going to away meeting a pleasure.

Whilst Chris Harris was still living in Cornwall, he would come to Exeter when his Coventry meetings did not clash.

You would see him helping and encouraging the younger lesser experienced team members and what team?

Most of the time it would not be Exeter the team he used to ride for but their opposition.

Have also seen riders of oposition teams after the first heat pass on information about the condition of the track when conditions are poor.

So good luck to Tai and of course he would not have gained from the experience would he with peple such as Crump, Adams and Boyce et al.

Rob Lyon wanted to get the young lads in to gain experience. Now i dont see how being a mechanic in a World Cup final can be doing his experience any harm at all.

Not to mention these guys are mates he has grown up with and raced with since he was a kid.

As for the shirt bit, well as said if you are working in a teams pits you HAVE to wear the teams "uniform".

What does it matter .... if he wears a Team Aussie t-shirt. Speedway is not like football - riders can represent 3/4 teams, ride as a guest for other clubs . If you really want to jump up and down , Tai has got an australian flag tattoo on his shoulder !!

imagine just a case of him sitting in the pits helping a mate out and told to wear a Team Aussie tshirt ....

been in poland for the duration of the world cup.tai was out with the aussies every night including wednesday.cant imagine the british team didnt eat together wednesday night and rob lyon said ok tai you do your own thing.

Ah, some sense at last.

On this forum ...... NEVER! .. :lol:

Regards. ;)