British Speedway Forum
OldBulldog

Scandinavian Gp - Saturdays Sky Coverage

Scheduled to be 6pm to 8pm only according to all the listings, with live Tennis taking over at that time.

Seems lots of live events on Sky saturday night, surely they are not going to leave it half way through?? I do see there is a scheduled 3 hour re-run at 10.30pm

Scheduled to be 6pm to 8pm only according to all the listings, with live Tennis taking over at that time.

Seems lots of live events on Sky saturday night, surely they are not going to leave it half way through?? I do see there is a scheduled 3 hour re-run at 10.30pm

From 8pm it will be on a "red button" choice with the tennis

Edited by Midland Red

Tennis what an insult that should be banned from telly!!

If the GP moves onto Red button it is likely that the GP will not record for the full duration and you will just get 6-8pm which is very bad news for everybody and even worse for Virgin media customers as they wont get to watch it at all

Tennis!! What tennis is more important than seeing the end of the meeting and who has won it?? Where's my remote and the red button then.....by the way danishwebmaster are you doing a racecard for the Gp tomorrow night I LUV IT and thanks again for the racecards up to now.

If the GP moves onto Red button it is likely that the GP will not record for the full duration and you will just get 6-8pm which is very bad news for everybody and even worse for Virgin media customers as they wont get to watch it at all.

I don't understand all this "Red button" thingy but as a Virgin Media customer I presume I should be worried. :lol: Am I going to miss the last hour of the G.P. then?

What I don't understand is why at 8pm they don't switch to sky sports 1 because the live football has finished by then, at least people could then record both parts, can't record stuff on the red button.

Its a disgrace to be honest, im okay because I do have sky but its a joke some people will only be able to see half a meeting. I know looking at the other channels that there are more so called popular sports on but why bother to show a live event if some people wont be able to see it in the full.

I just hope this is a one off from Sky, its not a way to treat a sport thtat gives them good viewing figures.

Edited by Brummie Kev

Sky Sports two it is then at 10.30pm for us Virgin viewers for the whole 3 hour jobby repeated rather than watch two hours then wonder what happens .So if recording may be best to record that.

Edited by Nevs

If Tennis is on the red button no problem but if its the speedway I am stuffed as I am at a wedding until 10 pm and like to watch it on the fast forward over an hour when I get home.

Who gives a toss over some dour Scot with a personailty of a sweaty sock anyway? :unsure:

Edit. Yep its on the rd button from 8PM. Disaster. How many people actually care about some obscure Canadian tennis tournament? Sky have acalled this wrong. there are more speedway fans than tennis, and whilst Wimbledon is big news, this tennis isn't.

If you are not on Sky Plus you have had it.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Blame it entirely on Sky going overboard for the next few weeks on any match Andy Murray plays because their only Grand Slam coverage is the US Open in early September so they're desperate to follow all his build-up contests (BBC & Eurosport share the rights for Aussie/French Opens & BBC produce all of Wimbledon) ... it's their best chance commercially to persuade tennis fans to sign up for Sky despite their sport not having too much coverage for the rest of the year.

So once Murray got through to today's semi-finals, he was guaranteed a live slot even if that meant trampling over something else.

Given the majority of Sky Sports subscribers are drawn in by football, the "Football First" highlights for the opening day of the Premier League were bound to survive ... the final of cricket's Twenty20 county event would be safe as well as it's only five days before Sky shows the Ashes decider.

So that would have left the 3rd round (of 4) in the USPGA golf or the Scandinavian GP at risk of being bumped by Murray's semi ... might not be much in it regarding viewing figures but probably a lot more in-running betting turnover on the golf than the speedway (and Sky's betting partners would definitely have been considered in this decision) ... and both events dominated by a leader who's way clear (Tiger Woods four shots in front in the golf, Jason Crump way ahead in the GP standings).

Harsh though it may sound for us speedway fans, it's an absolute no-brainer for a sports executive about whether you lean towards Woods and his golf chums or Crump and his speedway rivals ... trying to explain why Crump should stay at Woods's expense would be impossible in that decision making, especially after speedway was given a big favour only four weeks ago by Sky ripping up their Sunday lunchtime schedule to cope with the rain-ravaged World Cup final.

Edited by arthur cross

The cynic in me thinks there may also be some other commercial thinking going on.

Putting things 'on the red button' is a good way of keeping a competitive edge over other providers. You have to be a sky subscriber to get it. Good way of saying 'look what you're missing'.

Really glad I saw this post though. At least now I know not to start watching it. I'll record the full length programme later and watch tomorrow evening, I get the advantage of being able to miss the adverts as well. Sadly its quite easy to not hear the result by accident

The tennis should be red button surely,as im out tonight i'll have to record the repeat aswell just to get the last hour.As said by others,a very poor way to treat the speedway fans. :mad: