British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tomcat

The 2009 Elite League Riders' Championship

Once (well in fact many times over) the British League Riders' Championship was seen as a fitting end-of season bonanza, staged in a Belle Vue stadium packed with supporters from all over the country to witness the final major honour of the season being fought for.

Now it is "just another pointless mickey mouse meeting (copyright British Speedway Forum)" in which it's no longer important for the top riders to turn out.

In many ways the Grand Final of the Elite League playoffs has taken its place as the big end of season meeting(s) and perhaps in view of the ELRC's recent dismal record in failing to ensure that its top EL riders do compete it's surely time to put this limping dog of an event out of its misery.

Oh hang on, plenty of people turned up at Coventry? Oh well, that's all that matters if the mugs still turn up...

And of course, speedways moved down, er on.

Rob McCaffery.

It's the ............ nah I won't say it ......... read my mind lol

Once (well in fact many times over) the British League Riders' Championship was seen as a fitting end-of season bonanza, staged in a Belle Vue stadium packed with supporters from all over the country to witness the final major honour of the season being fought for.

Now it is "just another pointless mickey mouse meeting (copyright British Speedway Forum)" in which it's no longer important for the top riders to turn out.

In many ways the Grand Final of the Elite League playoffs has taken its place as the big end of season meeting(s) and perhaps in view of the ELRC's recent dismal record in failing to ensure that its top EL riders do compete it's surely time to put this limping dog of an event out of its misery.

Oh hang on, plenty of people turned up at Coventry? Oh well, that's all that matters if the mugs still turn up...

And of course, speedways moved down, er on.

Rob McCaffery.

This was a very good meeting, infact better than a lot of gate and go GP,s

However I do agree that this should be the last big meeting of the season, and that the top riders should represent their teams, as for it being a good crowd have to disagree,probable less than 500 more than the semi-final between coventry and Swindon the week before.

Plus except for the racing there was no entertainment at all!

Poor speakers as normal, dreadful food= delly belly for two days, just a shame Coventry have such a good stadiumn but do not think of the fans at all!

Speedway is in the entertainment business! and its time that more was done for the fans! After all no fans no business!

Lovely to see you LW, Hayley & Sandie & nice to meet you Steve Turner, SCB & 12stC - Hmmm you werent stood just behind me during the meeting were you???? ;):D LoL

Very nice to meet you too, though I hope if I see you tonight we can chat properly without having to scream at each other from 4 inches apart just to be heard over the awful music.

I don't know where you were standing. If you were with Seb, H, LW and Sandie then we wouldn't have been far away and there was one of our number that was quite vocal in his dislike of Adams (not me BTW). :lol:

-------------------------------

Ignoring the riders that couldn't be bothered either turning up or riding like they meant it there were still enough top riders on show giving it their all for it to be a good meeting. Highlights for me were Ed's pass on Hans, Bomber's race with Leigh (how big are Bomber's to keep going for that rapidly closing gap :shock:), Bomber's back straight burst from 3rd to 1st, Freddie and Hans passing and re-passes for a couple of laps, Auty's good move on Watt (nice to see a young Brit progressing slowly but surely), Freddie sorting everyone out on turn one after a poor gate, Bomber and Holder in the final (so busy looking for each other that it rather spoilt the chance of either chasing Adams because both were quicker than Adams on the night). I've probably missed a few things out, but these spring to mind.

Congrats to Adams. Still hardly a favourite of mine but he's been a terrific servant to British Speedway so I can't begrudge him a win after 16 attempts. It's a shame that Crump and PK are injured because they would have added to the meeting, and gutted Tai couldn't be there. But it was still one of the better line-ups of recent years and I enjoyed the meeting. It is embarrassing for the BSPA that they had to go with a 15 rider field though, and I should add a well done to Auty and Haines for not being beaten out of sight against probably the toughest field of riders they've ever faced. I wonder if the BSPA will try to gloss over the fact that a few pulled and they had to go with 15 riders? The programme had Mads in so they must have had at least a couple of days notice but couldn't arrange a 16th rider. Not good enough quite frankly. And on the subject of the programme - Stop designing one that's a cm too big for the programme boards most of us have. It's a complete waste of money to have programme a fraction bigger than A4 because it has to be printed on SRA3 or SRA2 (depending on the press) and is just trimmed to waste. Desgin it A4, it will fit in the programme board, and you can print it 2-up SRA3 or 4-up SRA2 therefore keeping costs down.

I suggest you look back at all previous ELRC that Leigh has raced in, probably made 2 finals. For the rider who has raced more ELRC than any other rider it's not a great record. He normally just rides around. Even Trees, one of Leigh biggest fans acknowledged that.

But wasn't he in the 2008 final at Birmingham as well? :blink:

All the best

Rob

Why do Coventry fans feel the need to boo Adams? Is their history or was it just he beat Harris.

They're sick of him beating so many of their riders over the years...same reason I used to dislike Fundin, Mauger, Olsen, etc.,

I wonder if the BSPA will try to gloss over the fact that a few pulled and they had to go with 15 riders?

Given their recent propensity for sweeping things under the carpet, I'm not expecting anything different for this debacle.

For me it was the speed in which they got through this meeting, why cannot they do this every week for the league matches. The track did not seem to cause any problems and the tractor races very short, but excellent. The intention of this meeting is that the top riders from all nine EL clubs are chosen at a certain cut off date, the remaining presumably are the next high scorers from each team. Problem is injuries have a habit of cropping up and then unfortunately possible replacements have other commitments which they cannot or do not wish to break. Still do not know why Lee Richardson could not be bothered to turn up, but that is nothing fresh. Notice Lukas Dryml was down as reserve, what happened to him, or did he have to go home for Golden Helmet?

Whilst presentation was lacking, do think Coventry could have shown Ole Olsen and his GPs a thing or two on this showing. Did not need to stay for breakfast after all!

Cov track is in a bad way after this weekend. Big hole on turn 1, track has gone down to just rubble.

Dont have any pics, was at speedway but it wasnt as bad as it was sat/sun, about 3ft apparently.

Why do Coventry fans feel the need to boo Adams? Is their history or was it just he beat Harris.

Something to do with Leigh's celebrations after the wins there this year?

Probably the same for Swindon fans, as they don't like Rory Schlein for his over the top celebrations in 2007!

Cov track is in a bad way after this weekend. Big hole on turn 1, track has gone down to just rubble.

Dont have any pics, was at speedway but it wasnt as bad as it was sat/sun, about 3ft apparently.

Apparently part of the track collapsed (where the drainage is on the inside) during a stock cars meeting, don't know what will happen if we get through to the KO Final.

It's personal, and it's between US and HIM :P

Besides that...don't you think we're used to seeing people beating Harris ?! ;)