British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Which Brit Should Get A Wild Card?

Well last night again proved there's not a single Brit who can mix it with the big boys. last night Zorro won it. hardly a top rider but he showed all the true grit that is lacking in british riders to pull off a shock win and qualify on merit for the 2010 GP series.

No point in saying he isn't good enough/too old/brings nothing/a joke/don't like him etc etc etc because he qualified through all the rounds and then went and won the meeting last night. If ever a rider deserves it for true grit and determination it's Zorro.

So whee does this leave the british camp? The backside of nowhere to be honest. harris and nicholls have proved themselves to be completely out of their depth at this level. harris had the hug advantage of riding on his home track last nght but never got close to the podium. Does he deserve another chance? No way. One fluke Cardiff win and that is it. never got close other than that.

Niholls has had a torrid time this year and needs to be removed from the series.

Time to bring in some fresh blood. My ersonal choice would be Woffinden or Kennett. Both are young and improving. They will do as well as Harris and Nicholls and will learn with a years experience in the series. No they won't win a round but they can hardly do any worse than the current two.

Richardson had his chance and is no good at this level, Bridger needs another year before being considered. Plenty of time for him to improve.

Thoughts?

Well last night again proved there's not a single Brit who can mix it with the big boys. last night Zorro won it. hardly a top rider but he showed all the true grit that is lacking in british riders to pull off a shock win and qualify on merit for the 2010 GP series.

No point in saying he isn't good enough/too old/brings nothing/a joke/don't like him etc etc etc because he qualified through all the rounds and then went and won the meeting last night. If ever a rider deserves it for true grit and determination it's Zorro.

So whee does this leave the british camp? The backside of nowhere to be honest. harris and nicholls have proved themselves to be completely out of their depth at this level. harris had the hug advantage of riding on his home track last nght but never got close to the podium. Does he deserve another chance? No way. One fluke Cardiff win and that is it. never got close other than that.

Niholls has had a torrid time this year and needs to be removed from the series.

Time to bring in some fresh blood. My ersonal choice would be Woffinden or Kennett. Both are young and improving. They will do as well as Harris and Nicholls and will learn with a years experience in the series. No they won't win a round but they can hardly do any worse than the current two.

Richardson had his chance and is no good at this level, Bridger needs another year before being considered. Plenty of time for him to improve.

Thoughts?

Steve are you thinking of the Wild Card place at Cardiff or as a nominated rider pick for the whole series?

The whole series. The wildcard for Cardiff is the winner of the British Final. Just realised another almost identical thread has been started before this one.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

It seems that the dreaded "commercial" considerations mean that at least one Brit must be in the Gp series. Hope that they don't have to have two (as has been the case in the past) because that really would be taking the proverbial!

So who do we pick??

Nicholls and Harris have had such poor seasons in the GP's that it would be a mockery if one of them (most likely Bomber) was to get another nomination.

The only 3 I can see coming into consideration are Richardson, Kennett and Tai.

Richardson has performed well across the Leagues this season and also did well in the WTC race-off, but against that he has had a number of seasons in the GP's in the past and his last season in the GP's was very disappointing.

Kennett has never really performed well on the International stage and fell at the first hurdle of the qualifying this year. I feel he spent too long riding in his comfort zone domestically and has only recently realised the importance of widening his horizons. Hope he gets stuck into the qualifiers next year.

Tai also fell at the qualifying stage, but has had a good first season at the Elite level. A good Under 21 Final might convince them to have a punt on him and hope that he can continue his progression next season.

My choice would be Tai.

Edited by salty

The whole series. The wildcard for Cardiff is the winner of the British Final. Just realised another almost identical thread has been started before this one.
Already gone to Tai " Sky Suck My Ass" Woffinden.

I personally think that there will only one British in the GPs next year

I would go for Lee Richardson, because of his record this year in Britain, Sweden and Poland.

If there has to be a brit,and there probably has to be to give sky someone to focus on,id go for Harris,due to last nights position or Tai if he goes well in the u21,no way there should be 2 brits,you have to have at least 3 from denmark,poland & sweden as they are the top countries currently,on reflection you have to admire what magnus has done,when more touted individuals have failed or not even bothered to try and qualify.

I wouldn't have one. The Wildcard Pick at Cardiff willl ensure a Brit will be in the meeting.

If one has to be chosen for commercial reasons, which is wrong in my opinion, then I'd let Tai have a go.

I feel he is more likely to do well than our other youngsters as he does not seem to have the mental barriers that the likes of Kennett and Bridger have and I believe is more talented.

If for some strange reason they decide to pick two, then its take your pick from Richardson, Kennett or Bridger to join Tai.

My personal feeling -

Whilst it would be wonderful for Tai's dad to know his son ha made it into the GP's I do feel that Tai should focus on the British League and his family at present.

2011 should be Tai's year but I think emotionally 2010 may be to great a pressure for such a young man.

I wouldn't have one. The Wildcard Pick at Cardiff willl ensure a Brit will be in the meeting.

On other threads on this forum, people are already booking hotels, sorting their tickets for Cardiff. Noone even knows who's riding but it doesn't matter to them.

A British wildcard ? It would be better to have the best riders which would mean no Brit, and maybe an Aussie wildcard (Ward)

Agree, you have to earn the right to a wildcard pick and there is not a Brit who justifies selection IMO. Tai Woffinden is well on the way but maybe its a year too early. Harris has failed to qualify for two years now and Nicholls and Richardson are spent forces IMO at a world level

No doubt Harris will get yet another chance though. 4 GP series and only actually qualified once

No British riders wouldn't stop me going to Cardiff.

I support riders that ride for Poole and other favourites. If a brit is in it i will support them, but nationality doesnt come into it as much as ohter sports, for me.

Has Tai competed in any of the GP Qualifiers?? If so how far did he get? If he has competed and fallen by the wayside then I don't think he should be offered automatic entry, this would be a complete insult to Harris who although failing to reach the top three last night, would on paper be the most eligible Brit. He has put himself in this posistion by riding in the rounds and has proven that currently he is the best we have. In my opinion no Harris then no Brits!!!