British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Bill Landels

I'm sure some folks must recall Bill-usually a second string he surprised everyone by winning the Scottish Championship in I think 1964-he emigrated shortly thereafter to Oz. Any old Monarchs fans out there know what has happened to him- I think he may have ridden in Australia later but am not sure.

I'm sure some folks must recall Bill-usually a second string he surprised everyone by winning the Scottish Championship in I think 1964-he emigrated shortly thereafter to Oz. Any old Monarchs fans out there know what has happened to him- I think he may have ridden in Australia later but am not sure.

That's a good blast from the past, Bobbath.

I was at Meadowbank the night Bill won the Scottish Open, which was a real prestige event in those days. It was the 1966 Open, originally rained off and restaged at the beginning of 1967. On that particular night Bill was sensational. And yes, Bill rode on for several years after emigrating to Australia.

This topic was discussed only recently on the Monarchs Chatzone. Here's the thread:-

http://www.monarchs-chatzone.co.uk/forums/...ad.php?tid=2736

Enjoy!

Thanx Ian-great thread on Bill on the Monarchs site-didn't know so many of us remembered his Scottish Champ win-tho' I was off by a few years. Never got to Old Meadowbank unfortunately -tho' when in Edinburgh a couple of years ago drove by the old site -now an Athletics stadium I guess.The mid sixties were great weren't they!!

Thanx Ian-great thread on Bill on the Monarchs site-didn't know so many of us remembered his Scottish Champ win-tho' I was off by a few years. Never got to Old Meadowbank unfortunately -tho' when in Edinburgh a couple of years ago drove by the old site -now an Athletics stadium I guess.The mid sixties were great weren't they!!

Meadowbank was amazing, Bob. Race nights were Saturdays at 7.15, and what took place was an entire evening's entertainment. When the visiting team was a weak one we'd have remarkable "interval attractions"; these included a guy who could dive into a small pool of water from some great altitude, beauty contests, pipe bands, donkey races and pretty much everything else you could think of. When you left, usually around 9.30, you felt that you had been entertained in the fullest sense of the word. That was the Hoskins contribution to speedway, and it's what's missing nowadays.

What replaced Old Meadowbank was a purpose-built stadium for the Commonwealth Games; I think some minor football team operated there later. I have no idea what it is now. I once asked one of the current Edinburgh promoters whether he would consider moving Monarchs to the new stadium, but he felt that the problem would be a lack of atmosphere in such a large stadium.

I notice that you live in Toronto. I wish I had known that when I used to do winter business tours in Ontario - we could have spent an interesting evening discussing the mid-sixties. And yes, they WERE great! I'm under pressure to do one last trip to Ontario (which, if it happens, will be in January) so maybe we will get a chance to catch up. My two bases are usually Kingston and London. Where are you?

Thanx Ian -I'm in Toronto-but gimme a bell if you're here my # is 416-316-1935 and I'll buy you a beer (maybe two) same applies to any other forumlanders who recall Prov Lge. speedway!!!Even you Norbold!!!

Thanx Ian -I'm in Toronto-but gimme a bell if you're here my # is 416-316-1935 and I'll buy you a beer (maybe two) same applies to any other forumlanders who recall Prov Lge. speedway!!!Even you Norbold!!!

Thanks BOBBATH. If I ever get to Canada I'll be over for that drink. I believe Canada is quite a small country so wherever I am I'll be able to find you I should think... :blink:

Ask the RCMP(mounties)- they are keeping a close eye on me!!!

Ask the RCMP(mounties)- they are keeping a close eye on me!!!

Maybe even CCIS Bob...... Someone had better tell Norbold we have lakes bigger than England here!.....

As for Mr Landels I believe he even rode for Australia or is my mind failing yet again. He shows up in many of my Aussie programs from that era!

Tiger Tom....

I think you are right Tom re Bill riding for Oz-offer of beer when in To applies to you too!!

That's a good blast from the past, Bobbath.

I was at Meadowbank the night Bill won the Scottish Open, which was a real prestige event in those days. It was the 1966 Open, originally rained off and restaged at the beginning of 1967. On that particular night Bill was sensational. And yes, Bill rode on for several years after emigrating to Australia.

This topic was discussed only recently on the Monarchs Chatzone. Here's the thread:-

http://www.monarchs-chatzone.co.uk/forums/...ad.php?tid=2736

Enjoy!

Just come across these posts on Bill Landels and as Ian mentioned, he emigrated to Australia in October 1967 after getting married to Liz, the Edinburgh Speedway Beauty Queen! I know, as I travelled out with them on their Honeymoon on the Italian ship, "The Fairsea" which, going through the Bay of Biscay and The Australian Bight, it certainly was anything but, a "Fair Sea!" (Imagine taking a 'Chaperone' on your honeymoon!)

Bill a former Scottish Grasstrack Champion as well as Scottish Speedway Champion, was the star man for several years at Sydney's Liverpool Speedway and also on the big and fast Sydney Showground with it's concrete "safety" fence on the pits corner and he could beat all comers on the big, fast Australian tracks.

Bill and Liz are still happily living in Australia and paid a return visit to the UK a couple of years ago and, as mentioned, during his racing days, rode for Australia in Test Matches, probably the only Scot to race for the Australian national team.

Also the post about Old Meadowbank and Ian Hoskins style of promotion. Yes, that man was the ultimate showman and gave the fans plenty of value for money entertainment both on the track and on the centre green, unlike today's meetings which do not even feature a Second Half. The Edinburgh fans certainly got their money's worth every Saturday night.

Thanx for the update Haggis -glad everything worked out for them in Aussie

Also the post about Old Meadowbank and Ian Hoskins style of promotion. Yes, that man was the ultimate showman and gave the fans plenty of value for money entertainment both on the track and on the centre green, unlike today's meetings which do not even feature a Second Half. The Edinburgh fans certainly got their money's worth every Saturday night.

Looking back on it, one thing that stands out about Ian Hoskins' brand of showmanship is that it must have cost very little to produce. In much the same way that Eric Morecambe could provide really funny sketches with imaginery props, Hoskins could use anything or anyone who happened to be there to build up the drama or comedy value of the evening. When the visiting team manager was also of the old school (Len Silver, Trevor Redmond, Dave Lanning and the like) there would be a level of banter on the microphone which I haven't seen repeated in many a long day.

Quite a few of the riders were characters too, and knew how to wind up the crowd. You still see that occasionally, with Derek Sneddon or Ryan Fisher at Ashfield as great examples. Shane Parker knew how to get the Armadale crowd going.

Even the second-halfers were entertaining. Who could forget the irrepressible Jimmy Cox wearing an "L" plate as a body colour? And there was that bloke who kept his leathers clean on a wet night by wearing pyjamas over them! I wonder whatever happened to him.....?

There were rumours in the pits that night he won the Scottish open.. that he was riding a 'big un'

Poor Bill he was one of the few riders who got stitched up buying one of those "Matchless" speedway bikes

Looking back on it, one thing that stands out about Ian Hoskins' brand of showmanship is that it must have cost very little to produce. In much the same way that Eric Morecambe could provide really funny sketches with imaginery props, Hoskins could use anything or anyone who happened to be there to build up the drama or comedy value of the evening. When the visiting team manager was also of the old school (Len Silver, Trevor Redmond, Dave Lanning and the like) there would be a level of banter on the microphone which I haven't seen repeated in many a long day.

Quite a few of the riders were characters too, and knew how to wind up the crowd. You still see that occasionally, with Derek Sneddon or Ryan Fisher at Ashfield as great examples. Shane Parker knew how to get the Armadale crowd going.

Even the second-halfers were entertaining. Who could forget the irrepressible Jimmy Cox wearing an "L" plate as a body colour? And there was that bloke who kept his leathers clean on a wet night by wearing pyjamas over them! I wonder whatever happened to him.....?

I don't know what happened to the guy who wore pyjamas over his leathers on a wet night, perhaps he was "sleeping at the gate"? I believe that he also wore a pair of swimming trunks OVER his leathers when the long zip on his

one-piece leathers broke one night! A bit draughty in The Trossachs!

I do, however, remember, Jimmy Cox, "The Buckskin Kid" with his long frills on the sleeves of his brown leather Buckskin jacket. I seem to remember that the leather sides of his "puding basin" helmet were painted white.

Ian Hoskins always had nicknames for his riders and I remember, as a wee schoolboy in Glasgow, watching the Novice Races at Glasgow White City with riders with such great names as, "Leap" Primrose, "Red" Monteith and "Whaler Joe" Ferguson, so called because it was rumoured that he went to sea catching whales in order to raise some money to buy a Speedway bike.

Today's riders are still showmen,.......Fancy coloured Kevlars and just look at the spectacular wheelies they can achieve, something which was virtually impossible to do on the Japs and Jawas of yesteryear.

There is a word for that, it's called "promoting" and it's what a promotor should do! not like most of today's bunch who could well do with taking a look at the past instead of wasting their energy with their stoogies looking for who is criticising them and then trying to gag or ban them! Hello, you may not always be right!!

If you attended any Parker/Fearman tracks in the '60s you would see the old boy diving off a tower into a ring of fire, or a TV star opening the meeting, not to mention the marching bands or other interval attractions. Yes and riders were encourged to get up to pranks and provoke a bit of reaction from the crowd, but if they do that today they are fined for "bringing the sport into disrepute!" What TOSH!! Joe Thurley did the same at Birmingham in the '70s, working on the old adage "you have to speculate to accumulate." Before anyone says there was more money then with better crowds you may well ask why, and as Ian says most of these things cost very little. One fact that must not be forgotten, Speedway may be a sport but it is also entertainment and thats what people go for, to be entertained, and that requires effort!

End of rant! Grumpy old man goes back to armchair to dream of proper Speedway!! :wink::lol: